The learning objectives for the Latin American and Latinx Studies program are:
- Students learn the transformative power of our differences, develop a foundation for responsible stewardship of the wider world, and are prepared for informed civic action;
- Students study in both Humanities and Social Sciences and develop inquiry methods stemming from different disciplines;
- Students develop Spanish language proficiency, facilitating study abroad;.
- Students develop a broad base on knowledge about Latin America and its diaspora through a set of core courses;
- Students develop a more specialized set of knowledge centered around one of six concentrations;
- Students, in consultation with their major advisor, link an upper-division seminar to their senior thesis.