was gifted to students for summer internships, research, and civic engagement grants in 2015
More than $700,000 to students for summer internships, research, and civic engagement grants in 2015.
- 95% of employers who hosted reported that their Bates intern would be a competitive candidate for a full-time post-graduation job.
- Through Bates’ Purposeful Work Internship summer program, more than 300 students explored their interests through internships, research grants, and community engagement projects.
- In 2015–16, Bates became a collaborating college with HBX Credential of Readiness (CORe), a digital learning initiative powered by Harvard Business School faculty.
of financial need met — for all four years
100% of financial need met – for all four years
- 2016-17 total grant budget: $33.5 million
- Portion of the Class of 2020 receiving Bates grant aid: 42%
- Average need-based grant: 43,633
- Average federal student loan debt for Bates students who graduated in 2016: $13,170 – less than half the national average
of Bates grads are settled in a job, graduate school, fellowship, or internship within six months of graduation
99% of Bates grads are settled in a job, graduate school, fellowship, or internship within six months of graduation.
- Top industries for graduates: finance, technology, education,
- 90% of 2015 graduates working with the Medical Studies
Committee were accepted to med school
- 100% of 2014 graduates were accepted to law school
36 Majors & 25 Minors
Bold = available as a major and a minor
African American Studies Engineering* Music
American Cultural Studies
Art & Visual Culture
Asian Studies (minor only)
Classical & Medieval Studies
East Asian Studies
Educational Studies (minor only)
French & Francophone Studies
Greek (minor only)
Latin (minor only)
Latin American Studies
Russian (minor only)
Teacher Education (minor only)
Women & Gender Studies
African American Studies
* In the Engineering major, students participate on the 3-2 Dual Degree program, completing three years at Bates and two years at one of our partner Engineering institutions, including Case Western, Columbia, Dartmouth, RPI, or Washington University.
Class of 2020 Admission Stats
Class of 2020 Enrollment Data
- 47% Male
- 53% Female
- 52% Public high school
- 48% Independent/private high school
- 22.6% Acceptance rate
- 40.4%New England
- 23.8%Middle Atlantic
- 15.7%Southwest & West
- 8.3%International (based on home address or citizenship)
U.S. students of color 24%
First generation to college 12%Education
Students in the top 10% of their graduating class (who submitted class rank) 72.3%
Testing optional since 1984
For those who submitted tests, average scores were:
SAT Critical Reading 681
SAT Math 684
SAT Writing 678
ACT Composite 31
Fulbright recipients in the last five years
Bates has been named a Fulbright Top Producer for five consecutive years.
How do we do it?
- Meaningful cultural exchange among a wide range of immigrant communities in Lewiston/Auburn
- Supportive mentoring relationships with faculty
- Support, grants, and fellowships for community-based learning through Bates’ Harward
- Center for Community Partnerships
- Robust study abroad programming and 100% participation in Senior Thesis or capstone projects