1. Phillips Grant for your resarch

Availabe for Bates Junior students for the preparation of their research paper.

2. Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan
by Association of Teachers of Japanese (ATJ)

Site for Bridging scholarships.

3. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

Sponsored by the US. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by the Institute of International Education, this program enables students who have limited financial means to participate in study abroad opportunities worldwide. The program provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. citizen undergraduate students at two- and four-year institutions to pursue semester or academic-year long study abroad opportunities in other countries. To be eligible students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application and cannot be studying abroad in a country currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or in Cuba. For full eligibility criteria, application deadlines and the online application please access the Gilman Program website. A new Advisor section has also been added to the Gilman Program website. This section contains a flyer on the Gilman International Scholarship Program which you may print off and post in your office, or distribute to students at your institution. If you, or your students, have any questions regarding this scholarship program do not hesitate to contact our office.

Sarah Phillips Program Coordinator,
Gilman International Scholarship Program Institute of International Education
515 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 150 Houston, TX 77027
(713) 621-6300 ext. 25
Web site


4. Fulbright Student Grants
Fulbright Student Grants are supported by the United States government as one of a set of programs created at the end of World War II.  The intent of the Fulbright program in general is to “increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge and skills.” Japan is on the list of countries regularly participating in the Fulbright program.

Information about the program states that “applicants must be U.S. citizens at the time of application, and must generally hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent before the beginning date of the grant, and should be proficient in the language of the host country.  A detailed program of research and/or study is necessary for a strong application, and candidates with sponsors in the receiving country have additional advantages.  Grantees plan their own programs, and projects may include university course work, independent library or field research, classes in music or art, and special projects in the social or life sciences.” The program is a good choice for students wishing to do conduct guided post-BA (or BS) research in Japan.

Applications to the Fulbright program at Bates are handled by the Graduate Studies Committee.  Each year in September this committee hosts an informational meeting about the Fulbright Student Grants and a flyer is sent out to seniors  announcing this meeting.  If you think you might want to apply for a Fulbright you should be sure to attend this meeting in the fall of your senior year.  You should also consult with your major advisor about your plans.  Also, setting up contacts at a Japanese university while you are in Japan studying during your Junior year can be a good way to begin preparation for applying for this fellowship.

For more information on Fulbright Student Grants see their web site.

5. Rotary Scholarships
Rotary Scholarships are sponsored by the Rotary Clubs around the globe and applications must be made directly to a local branch of that organization.  Japan has a very active Rotary Club organization and every year several scholars are sent there to study.  Scholars “serve as ambassadors abroad while studying for one academic year” in Japan or any country where Rotary Clubs are located. Preference is given to applicants with strong Japanese language skills.   Seniors wishing to spent time studying in Japan after graduation are particularly welcome as applicants.

Nominations made by local Rotary Clubs.   Interested students should contact the Rotary Club in their neighborhood by the spring of their junior year at the latest.

For more information on Rotary Scholarships see their web site.
6. Monbu-kagaku-sho (Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs) Scholarship
Please visit their web site and a related office.