Slide show features a 2010 retrospective
Default Gallery Type Template
This is the default gallery type template, located in:
If you're seeing this, it's because the gallery type you selected has not provided a template of it's own.
• Click the thumbnails to view the slide show above
Through this retrospective slide show, we invite you to look back at some of the major Bates stories, events and achievements of 2010, as published in BatesNews, the College’s monthly e-newsletter to alumni, parents and friends.
Whether showing happy jubilation, pensive reflection or intense competition, the photographs tell about Bates people setting the pace and attending to their friends, communities and world.
At Commencement 2010, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Elizabeth Strout ’77 gave this advice to Bates seniors to “be open to your friends…. Stay especially close to those who make you laugh. Be open to those who seem like they are so different they’ll never be friends. They’re the ones who will teach you what you can’t even imagine you don’t know.”
Complementing the slide show are links to a few multimedia pieces about life at Bates in 2010:
- The 2010 Martin Luther King Jr. Day at Bates College;
- James Hughes, 2010 recipient of the Ruth M. and Robert H. Kroepsch Award for Excellence in Teaching;
- All Roads lead to Garcelon Field: the case to restore and update the historic location;
- The 2010 Bates Summer-Scholars Program, an accelerated introduction to the sciences and mathematics;
- Time-lapse video of Garcelon Field renovations;
- Dedication and first football game played on the new Garcelon Field;
- Football team’s euphoric rendition of the “Fight Song” after the Bobcats’ Garcelon victory over Hamilton;
- Professor of Politics John Baughman’s gubernatorial debate intro;
- WCSH-TV’s mock dorm blaze coverage;
- Year-End Teleconference with President Hansen and Chairman of the Board Mike Bonney ’80, P’09, P’12.