Communication Access Real-time Translation (CART)
CART offers real-time captioning to ensure that all students, including those who are deaf and hard of hearing, are able to fully participate in their classroom discussions and lectures. CART does not only meet legal compliance but also serves an important role in creating a more equitable and inclusive academic experience.
When Do We Need to Provide CART?
CART is required when a student has an approved academic accommodation for accessible audio/visual course material for instances such as:
- Synchronous remote events/activities
- Class meetings
- In-person class meetings (if the student is participating remotely)
- Sometimes required for in-person courses if a student uses lip-reading
- The Office of Accessible Education will help coordinate and pay for remote CART services for students with an approved academic accommodation for accessible audio/visual course material
- Notify Accessible Ed. with as much advance notice as possible, at least 5 business days
- Provide the relevant Zoom link along with any accompanying material (slide deck, notes, etc.)
- Provide the name of your course and a brief description of the topics to be covered
- Remember to let the transcriber into your Zoom meeting!
- Cancellations must be made 48 business hours in advance by contacting email@example.com or 207-786-6222