- Bonnie Bassler, Robert De Niro, Gwen Ifill to speak at Bates Commencement
- Class of 2012 and a New Tradition
- Video: The Honorand Panel 2012
- Slide Show: Commencement 2012
- Honorand Citation: Gwen Ifill
- Commencement 2012: honorand Gwen Ifill remarks (text and video)
- Honorand citation: Bonnie Bassler
- Commencement 2012: honorand Bonnie Bassler remarks (text and video)
- Honorand Citation: Robert De Niro
- Commencement 2012: honorand Robert De Niro remarks (text and video)
- Commencement Ceremony video
- With Bassler, De Niro, Ifill, the star power shines at Commencement 2012
- For alumni children, graduation is a story with a new ending
Post-Event Coverage Highlights
Here’s your place for post-event coverage of Commencement 2012. Check back often as we’ll be adding, stories, photographs and video hour by hour throughout the weekend and next week.
- Great advice, humor infused with spot-on Bates lore and the requisite brilliant sunshine helped Commencement speakers and honorary degree recipients Bonnie Bassler, Robert De Niro and Gwen Ifill wow this year’s Commencement throng.
- At Commencement, alumni and their children graduating with the Class of 2012 talk about their shared sense of Bates.
- A Commencement slide show with traditional processional music performed by the Portland Brass Quintet. See more Commencement 2012 photographs on the Bates Flickr site.
- Watch a video of the annual honorand panel discussion featuring Bonnie Bassler, Robert De Niro and Gwen Ifill. Moderated by Professor of French Kirk Read and held in the Olin Arts Center Concert Hall the evening before Commencement.
Transcripts of Bassler, De Niro and Ifill honorand remarks
- Transcripts of Commencement remarks by honorary degree recipients Bonnie Bassler, Robert De Niro and Gwen Ifill.
- Read the citations that illuminate the 2012 honorary degree recipients Bonnie Bassler, Robert De Niro and Gwen Ifill.
Learn about the 2012 Commencement speakers, Bonnie Bassler, Robert De Niro and Gwen Ifill.
Class of 2012 by the numbers
The Class of 2012, who they are, where they’re from, what they studied.
The Class of 2012 creates a new tradition
At Bates, we look forward with great anticipation each year to honoring our graduating seniors and welcoming their families and friends to campus over Memorial Day weekend. We share in the excitement and joy about the graduates’ achievements at one of the world’s leading colleges of the liberal arts and sciences.
Our celebration is actually a series of events beginning late Thursday and continuing through Commencement exercises on Sunday morning — and a little beyond. Below is the full schedule. If you’re planning to join us, we hope you’ll visit this page again before arriving on campus, as plans sometimes change a bit along the way.
|1 p.m.||Legacy Group Photo. For Bates
Alumni Families and their Graduates!
Perry Atrium, Pettengill Hall
|2 p.m.||Baccalaureate Service
Procession begins at 1:50pm
|3:45 p.m.||Honorand Panel||Olin Arts Center Concert Hall|
|5:30 p.m.||Scholar-Athlete Society Induction||Alumni Gymnasium|
|5:30 p.m.||One Year Reunion for the Class of 2011||Garcelon Field Tent|