Vital Stats


Clarence A. Forbes
, June 8, 2001.
Clarence Forbes, longtime professor of classics at the Univ. of Nebraska and Ohio State Univ., was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Bates and earned his Ph.D. in 1928 from the Univ. of Illinois, writing his thesis on Greek physical education. Among his many articles were important studies of book burning in the ancient world and on education and training of slaves. His kindness and devotion to students were renowned, and in 1963 he was awarded Ohio State’s Good Teaching Award. He was involved in many classics organizations, including the Greater Columbus Latin Club and the Ohio Classical Conference, and served as president of the Classical Assn. of the Middle West and South. Professor Forbes promoted classics at the secondary-school level and compiled a volume for the American Classical League, an organization for high school teachers, called The Teaching of Classical Subjects in English, which remains in print today. His notorious love of punning is only partially revealed by his 1951 article in The Classical Journal, “Beer, a Sober Account.” He was also a visiting professor at the Universities of Illinois, Oklahoma and Michigan. In 1924, he married Florence Lemaire ’24; she predeceased him in 1987, as did a daughter, Charmian, in 1999. Professor Forbes is survived by four children: Jacqueline Angel, Rodney, Roland, and Joyce Nolan; 32 grandchildren; 48 great-grandchildren; and 18 great-great-grandchildren.

Euterpe Boukis Dukakis
, April 2, 2003
She arrived in the United States without knowing a word of English, and graduated from Bates with honors and a Phi Beta Kappa key 12 years later. Euterpe Boukis Dukakis was the first Greek woman to graduate from Bates; in fact, she was the first Greek-American woman in the country to go away to college, according to historian Charles Moskos. (At the time, few Greek women went on to college, and if they did, they always commuted.) She met her future husband, Panos Dukakis ’22, when he and a group of Bates students performed a classical Greek play near her home in Haverhill, Mass. Talking with the actors and Professor George M. Chase that night convinced her to attend Bates. She excelled academically throughout her college career, played a number of sports, sang in choruses and led cheers, and held leadership positions in the Philhellenic Club. Although they did not date at Bates, Panos and Euterpe managed to bump into each other at various events in the Greek community in Haverhill and other nearby towns. They were married in 1929, after he had completed his medical degree at Harvard, and after she had taught school in Ashland, N.H., and Amesbury, Mass., for several years. Together, they had two children, Stelian Dukakis ’53 (who was killed in an automobile accident in 1973), and Michael Dukakis, who later served three terms as Massachusetts governor and ran for the U.S. presidency in 1988. Mrs. Dukakis was a tireless campaigner for her son, traveling throughout the country stumping, giving interviews, and even stuffing envelopes. She also advised him on historical issues relevant to his campaign, at times obviating the need for an outside expert. In 1993, she received an honorary doctor of letters degree from Pine Manor College. Proud of her Greek heritage, she took each of her grandchildren individually to visit the place of her birth, and was a leader in organizations affiliated with Boston’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation. In addition, she volunteered with the Red Cross, the League of Women Voters, Boston City Hospital, and the International Institute of Boston. She was an ardent support of classical and medieval studies, a field of study that was revived at Bates in 1991 largely due to her efforts. She endowed the Euterpe Boukis Dukakis Professorship of Classical and Medieval studies in 1994. She was president of the Boston Bates Alumnae Club for several years, and class agent. With the other indefatigable members of her class, she would return to campus every Reunion for 71 years, usually sharing a dorm room with her college roommate and lifelong friend, Alice Swanson Esty ’25. Her husband died in 1979. She is survived by her son Michael; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Dorothy Clarke Wilson, March 26, 2003.
Dorothy Clarke Wilson was one of three writers to emerge from her class to national prominence. (The others were Erwin Canham, editor of the Christian Science Monitor, and novelist Gladys Hasty Carroll.) Throughout her life, she combined the urge and talent to write, a deep faith, and an intense concern for social justice into her writing. She achieved her greatest success with her novel about the early life of Moses, The Prince of Egypt, which Cecil B. DeMille used as the basis for his 1956 movie, The Ten Commandments, and for which she won the Westminster Award for Fiction in 1948. She wasn’t totally happy with DeMille’s adaptation; she called the movie’s depiction of Moses parting the Red Sea “flimflammery.” (Her research convinced her that Moses waited for low tide, and then guided people across a sandbar.) She wrote more than 70 plays on religious themes and more than 30 books in various genres. She wrote her first play in 1926, when she was unable to find a suitable production for her church to present at Christmas. In the 1950s, she was the most produced living playwright in the world. There was a theme in all of her writing, she said: the problems of social justice and the application of Christianity to human needs. Her “obsession with world peace” started while a student at Bates, researching her essay, “Arbitration Instead of War,” for which she won a contest her junior year. Her career as a novelist grew out of a three-act play she wrote about Jesus’ brother, James. She wrote a series of books based on biblical figures before becoming immersed in affairs in the newly independent country of India. She wrote a series of biographies about doctors at the Christian Medical College in Vellore, India, making four trips to India to conduct research. Later, she wrote what she called “novelized biographies” about prominent women, including Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell (the first woman granted an M.D. in this country), Martha Custis Washington, Abraham Lincoln’s two mothers, and the two wives of Theodore Roosevelt. She also wrote several books about people with profound disabilities. She spent about a year researching each book, and then a year writing it, and confessed once that she really preferred the research part. In addition to her writing, she was intimately involved with the Maine Christian Assn., which was headed by her husband, the Rev. Elwin Wilson ’24. They hosted several dinners each week for students in the basement of their home near the campus of UMaine-Orono. She was active in the United Methodist Church, and played organ for the early service for many years. The Wilson Center at the university is named for her husband, and each year a prize for the best essay on peace is awarded to a student in her name. Her most cherished award was the one she received in 1975, the New England United Methodist Award for Excellence in Social Justice Action. She received a doctor of letters degree from Bates in 1947, and a doctor of humane letters from UMaine-Orono in 1984. She presented well over 1,000 lectures on her books and travels, accompanied by slides she took on her journeys. She served Bates as a Trustee from 1954 to 1959. Her write-up in the 1925 Mirror reads in part, “First scholar, first author, first musician, first athlete.” She graduated with highest honors and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She played hockey and volleyball, and was class champion in tennis for three years. She won the Greek prize as a freshman; the English essay prize as a sophomore; and the Intercollegiate Literary Prize as a junior. She wrote the Ivy Ode and a class song. She humbly described herself as “a housewife and author.” Her husband died in 1992 and her son, Harold, died in 1976. She is survived by her daughter, Joan, and seven grandchildren.

Durwood (Dode) Holman, Jan. 30, 2003.
Durward “Dode” Holman was well known in Maine baseball circles. He played for his hometown team in Dixfield and played at Bates all four years (second base, sometimes shortstop). He led the Cape Elizabeth (Maine) High School baseball team to eight state championships (winning 50 out of 54 games), and was inducted into the Maine State Baseball Hall of Fame in 1976. He could actually remember the Red Sox winning the World Series. Two school baseball fields — at Bridgton Academy and Cape Elizabeth — are named for him. He took painstaking care of the baseball fields his teams used. One writer noted, “The Cape infield rivals any big league diamond in the nation and the outfield is the envy of greens keepers whose fairways suffer by comparison.” Even following retirement, he groomed the Cape field. Following Bates, he received a master’s in education from Colby and studied at the Univ. of Vermont and MIT. He was active in the New England Coaches Assn. At Bridgton Academy, he was chair of the science department. His survivors include his son, Waner Holman ’56, and daughter-in-law, Darlene Hirst Holman ’56. His wife, Freda Packard Holman, died in 2000. His late brother, Lyman Holman, graduated from Bates in 1933. Other survivors include two sisters, Thirza Towle and Beulah Lane; three grandsons; and three great-granddaughters.

Catherine Lawton Harlow, Nov. 7, 2002.
Catherine Lawton Harlow was active in debating and dramatics at Bates, and was a member of Delta Sigma Rho and Bates Key. She taught English in high schools in New Hampshire and Arlington, Mass., before her marriage to Robert G. Harlow in 1934. She headed various civic organizations while living in Clinton, Mass. With the family’s move to Norway, Maine, in 1951, she and her husband operated a gift and coffee shop until retirement. Again active in civic organizations, she was a trustee of the Norway Memorial Library for over 40 years. She was her Bates class secretary from 1926 to 1966. She is survived by daughter Sylvia H. Moreau ’62, son Robert ’57, and niece Cynthia ’70, along with three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband in 1983 and by her sister, Margaret Lawton, in 1965.

Frederic H. Young
, Feb. 28, 2003.
Frederic H. Young was a minister, a philosopher, a poet, and a teacher. He was a student of the works of James Joyce, and inspired his students at Montclair (N.J.) State College to raise funds to place a plaque on Joyce’s otherwise unheralded childhood home. The plaque was unveiled on June 16, 1964, with Young present, one of his proudest moments. (The date is instantly recognizable to readers of Ulysses as Bloomsday.) He received a master’s of divinity from Harvard Divinity School in 1930 and a Ph.D. in philosophy from Columbia in 1948. He also was the Wyman Fellow in Philosophy at Princeton in 1945. He called himself “an author, educator, and world traveler,” setting foot on his seventh continent, Antarctica, in 1979. He became an Episcopal minister in 1937 and a priest in 1938. He was the pastor and rector of Congregational and Episcopal parishes in Montana, Massachusetts, Maine, and New Jersey. During World War II, he was a chaplain in the Army. He began his teaching career in English and philosophy at Montclair State in 1948 and taught internationally during his 20-year tenure there, including a Fulbright tour of six universities in India. He sailed around the world three times with students from Chapman Univ. in the “World Campus Afloat” class. In 1983, he received the Chancellor’s Award for Distinguished Teaching from Saddleback College, where he taught for eight years after leaving Montclair State. He was a founding member of the Charles S. Peirce International Philosophical Society and published books on Peirce and Henry James Sr. At Bates, he won the freshman prize for debate, the sophomore prize for speaking, and the junior prize for declamation. He was a debater and choir organist. He credited debating at Bates for “establishing the mental critical habits that have served me well in my career.” He wrote an ode for his 50th Class Reunion. His first wife was Valesca von Heidt Herzog. In 1961, he married Diana Boyce. He is survived by his daughter, Gloria Tucker; and his sister, Helen Prince ’30. A son, Royal Frederic, died in childhood.

W. Howard Bull
, Feb. 10, 2003.
“All roads lead to Lewiston,” Howard Bull once wrote, exhorting his classmates to attend a reunion. To say he was an enthusiastic supporter of Bates is somewhat of an understatement. His trips back to campus always included a careful inspection of the 1929 Class Gateway across from Lindholm House that his class had given to the College. If a brick was loose, if the lantern was missing part of its shade, or if the ivy obscured the class year, he found the person to fix it. He was always on the lookout for prospective Bates students. In 1949, he helped found the Hoosier Bates Club, along with Harold ’30 and Mildred Tourtillott Richardson ’30. (Harold Richardson’s obituary is also in this issue.) He was especially proud that the club met every year without fail and included alumni from many eras. In honor of that, the club was named Club of the Year in 2000. The most valuable thing he learned at Bates, he said, was “courage.” He ran cross country and track at Bates, and was active in the Outing Club and student council. After an incident involving alcohol on the dry Bates campus, Howard was selected by the council to deliver a speech reminding students that liquor was taboo. He spent his working life at Aetna Insurance Company at offices in the East and the Midwest. He was appointed employee benefits division manager in 1943 and left that position in 1971 to work in the life division until he retired in 1981. He excelled in tennis, golf, swimming, and diving, and was an avid photographer. He was a class agent for over 40 years, and also served on the Alumni Council and as a career advisor. His wife, Louise Elizabeth Wilt, died in 1994. He is survived by a daughter, Mary Eleanor Quint, a son, William Howard Bull Jr., five grandchildren, and one great-grandson.

Harold Richardson
, Dec. 16, 2002.
Harold Richardson met his wife, Mildred Tourtillott Richardson ’30, at Bates while ice skating on a pond to live musicians — she stumbled right into his path. Ordained in 1933, he served pastorates in Herkimer, N.Y., Port Huron, Mich., and Jackson, Mich., between 1934 and 1949. He then became president of Franklin College in Franklin, Ind., where he implemented curriculum innovations and improved the physical campus. In 1964, he became the chief executive of the American Baptist Educational Ministries. He was president of the Assn. of American Baptist Educational Institutions in 1955 and of the American Baptist Education Assn. in 1956. He was a charter member of the American Baptist Commission on the Ministry. He served on the general board of the National Council of Churches of Christ from 1964 to 1972 and was the president of the Indiana Conference of Higher Education in 1959. He was also the volunteer administrator of a program of prepaid legal services for Indiana firefighters, a program put together by his son-in-law, Joe VanValer. An English and religion major at Bates, he received a second bachelor’s degree in divinity from Colgate Rochester Divinity School in 1933. He received his master’s and doctorate from Michigan in 1945 and 1952, respectively. In 1940-50, he was the Burke Aaron Hinsdale Scholar, an award made by the Michigan faculty to a doctoral candidate in education with the most outstanding academic and professional record. He traveled extensively through Europe, the Far East, Australia, and the former Soviet Union. At Bates, he lent his baritone voice to a number of musical organizations and served them as their president. He also played hockey and tennis, and graduated magna cum laude. As an alumnus, he was president of his class and very active in the Hoosier Bates Club, which he helped found, along with his wife and Howard Bull ’30 (whose obituary is also in this issue). He was co-chair of his 60th Reunion Gift Committee. He received an honorary L.H.D. from Bates in 1956, as well as an honorary LL.D. from Hanover College in 1953 and an honorary D.D. from Franklin College in 1975. In 1990, he was awarded the Alumni Distinguished Service Award from Bates. A former member of the College’s alumni staff called him, “a humanitarian in the truest sense of the word.” He is survived by his wife; three daughters, Elizabeth Rubin, Constance VanValer, and Carol Eads; and nine grandchildren.

William A. (Andy) Anderson Sr.
, Sept. 5, 2002.
A physics major, Andy Anderson earned a master’s from NYU in mathematics and took further courses at SUNY-Albany and Cornell. He suffered two probations at Bates for cutting Chapel. In the 1950s, he was a lay preacher for the Congregational conference. He was a teacher and guidance counselor in Deposit, N.Y., and Maine, N.Y., as well as superintendent of the Maine Endwell Schools in New York. In the 1970s, he directed the school services division of the Roberson Center for Arts and Science. He served on the Shelter Island Board of Education and was president of the Shelter Island Historical Society as well as the town historian. He liked to raise blueberries, blackberries, and currants. He is survived by his wife, Vera Burns Anderson; his son, William Jr. ’61; his daughter, Janey Pyers; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Earl Garcelon, March 16, 2001.
Earl Garcelon was a retired analyst for the General Electric Foundation. He received a B.S. in chemistry from Bates, where he played football and ice hockey and was active in the Outing Club. His wife, Florence White Garcelon ’31, predeceased him.

Guy S. Herrick, Jan. 6, 2003.
Guy S. Herrick grew up in the house on Wood Street now called Herrick House, a Bates residence. He received both a master’s (1932) and a doctorate (1934) from Clark Univ. He held four patents for dye processes developed during his career at American Cyanamid in New Jersey as chief of the preparations lab. He was a member of the American Chemical Society and the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science. At Bates, he was active in the Outing Club and took photographs for The Mirror. He was president of the Lawrance Chemical Society his senior year, and was a student assistant in chemistry during his junior and senior years. His wife, Nellie Houston Herrick, died in 1992. He is survived by two sons, Ralph and Frederick ’60; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Ruth Wilson Colombo, Jan. 27, 2003.
Ruth Colombo taught language in Maynard, Littleton, and Natick, Mass. She retired as head of the Natick High School foreign language department in 1978. A French major at Bates, she received a master’s in language studies from UNH in 1940. She also studied at Boston Univ. and the Sorbonne. Her husband, Louis, died in 1995.

Roland F. Cronkhite
, Feb. 28, 2003.
Roland F. Cronkhite worked for 27 years as general manager at Lewiston Bottled Gas Co. and Louis P. Bail Oil Co. He was a member and vice president of the L.P. Gas Assn. of Maine. He was honored with the Silver Beaver Award, the Boy Scouts of America’s highest award given for leadership. He volunteered many hours to help build a fire station in Hills Beach in Biddeford, Maine. He was active in both the Saco Valley Bates Club and the Lewiston-Auburn Bates Club. He received a B.S. in chemistry from Bates, where he was active in the Outing Club and ran track. Survivors include his wife, Gabrielle Auger Cronkhite; four sons, Roland Cronkhite Jr., Richard Cronkhite, Roger Cronkhite, and Raymond Cronkhite; a sister, Hazel Farley; nine grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; and 16 nieces and nephews.

Pauline Frew Arnold, Jan. 26, 2003.
Pauline Frew Arnold taught school in Andover and Southwest Harbor, Maine, and Brookline, Mass. In Andover, she was one of only two teachers at the high school, and taught French, Latin, English, and biology. She also managed a scout troop, the basketball team, and the choir. She retired from teaching in 1941 and moved to Michigan, where her husband taught at Michigan State. There, she helped foreign students adapt to life in the United States. She was president of the Michigan Child Study Assn. and served on its board for many years. In 1964, she was awarded honorary life membership in the East Lansing Child Study Club, only the seventh person to receive such a distinction. She enjoyed Elderhostel and traveling to Scotland. She was active in the Lansing Sparrow Hospital Guild and taught Sunday school. At Bates, she played soccer and volleyball, and was elected to the Bates Key as an alumna. She was a class agent and active in Alumni-in-Admissions. Her brother was Arthur D. Frew ’24 and her sister was Priscilla Frew Pollister ’25. She is survived by her husband, Kenneth; sons William and Robert; daughter Rebecca Sill; a niece, Marcia Arnold ’79; a great-niece Erica Frew ’94; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Norman R. Ness, Feb. 4, 2003.
Norman Ness attended Bates for two years and graduated from UMaine in 1938. During World War II, he worked for the Extension Service, providing seasonal and year-round labor for farm work. More than 700 workers in Franklin County (Maine) were under his supervision. In 1952, he received the distinguished service certificate from the National Assn. of County Agricultural Agents. He served as representative from Maine for the New England Section of the American Assn. of County Agricultural Agents in 1947. In 1953, he became the extension dairy specialist at UMaine-Orono. He was the brother of Robert L. Ness ’33 and the late John M. Ness ’29, and the grandfather of Ryan H. Spring ’98. He is survived by his wife, Eleanor Wheelwright Ness; a son, Norman Jr.; a daughter, Mary Jean Spring; another brother, Gordon; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Nathan Milbury
, Feb. 2, 2003. At Bates, Nathan Milbury was the sports editor of the Student and a member of the Varsity Club. Following graduation, he went to work in the mailroom of the American Mutual Insurance Company. During his 40-year career there, he rose to become vice president and director of management development. He furthered his studies at the Boston College School of Law. He was active in Boy Scouts, the United Way, and his church. He was class president from 1949 to 1954. He was a board member of the Elder Home Care Services of Central Massachusetts and of the Salem Community Corp., which operated the retirement community where he lived for the last 13 years. His wife, Doris Kelly Milbury, died in 2001. His father was the Rev. George Douglas Milbury ’05. He is survived by his son, Douglas; his daughter Emilie Englund; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Lynda Bedell Schroeder
, Nov. 2, 2002.
Lynda Bedell Schroeder graduated with a degree in biology and earned a master’s in social work from the New York School of Social Work in 1947. While working at Travelers’ Aid in Pennsylvania Station in Newark, N.J., in 1945, she was instrumental in solving a kidnapping case when she notified police of a woman “not acting right.” She worked as a psychiatric social worker and in adoption placement and home studies with the Children’s Home Society of Washington, in Tacoma. After retirement, she and her husband, Harry, moved to Bremerton, Wash., where they ran a business fishing for salmon and then canning or smoking it. They wintered in Yuma, Ariz., where she volunteered as a reading tutor in an elementary school with a large Mexican population. She also worked as a teacher’s aide on the Quechan Indian Reservation. While at Bates, she found herself without funds to complete her last two years, and was told by Alla Libbey ’06 to “apply for a scholarship, make up a budget, and I’ll give you what you need.” She never forgot that scholarship and thanked Bates for it in 1997. She is survived by her husband, a niece, and a nephew. Her sister, Letha Bedell Brown ’32, predeceased her.

K. Gordon (Pop) Jones, Nov. 2, 2002.
An education professor for many years at SUNY-Oswego, Gordon Jones retired at 70 from academia and moved with his wife, Doris, to Williams Lake, British Columbia, where they ran a self-sufficient 160-acre ranch, getting heat from the sun and wood and melting snow for water. The ranch was productive enough to feed two families. But after several years, they gave it up and moved to coastal Washington. When they traveled back to Bates for reunions, they liked to follow portions of the trail that Lewis and Clark blazed. His interests included photography, model railroading, and gardening. He was county chair of the Democratic Party from 1972 to 1980. During school years 1959 to 1961, he was a consultant to the Indonesian Ministry of Education at the Univ. of North Sumatra. After receiving his A.B. from Bates in history and government, he taught history in Brewer, Maine, until World War II intervened. He served as a communications officer with the Navy. After the war, the G.I. Bill helped him earn a M.Ed. in 1948 and an Ed.D. in curriculum and teaching in 1954, both from Columbia. He returned to Maine and served as president of the Maine Coastal Bates Club and ran unsuccessfully for the state House of Representatives in 1974. He served on the Gift Committee for his class’s 50th Reunion. Besides his wife, he is survived by a stepson, Stuart Craig, three grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

Charlotte Longley Orr, Feb. 26, 2003.
Although she lived many years in New Jersey, home to Charlotte Longley Orr was always a small cabin on Keoka Lake near Waterford, Maine, an area her ancestors settled. She loved poetry, and especially loved performing lengthy dramatic poems. After earning a degree in history from Bates, she got a master’s in teaching from Syracuse in 1940, and certification as a teacher-librarian from Trenton (N.J.) State College in 1968. Her teaching career spanned 30 years, including schools in Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. She retired as school librarian in 1977 after nine years at Hopewell (N.J.) Valley Central High School. Through her career, she taught Latin, English, and drama. She was the director of academic advisement at Trenton State from 1966 to 1973. She was a longtime member of PEO, a women’s organization that raises money for women in education. She was class secretary from 1935 to 1940, secretary-treasurer of the New Haven Bates Assn. (1952 to 1958), class agent, and a Reunion Gift Committee member. Her sisters, both deceased, were Dorris Longley Johnson ’22 and Catherine Longley Lawson, who did graduate work at Bates in the late 1940s. She is survived by a son, Richard; a daughter, Priscilla Treadwell; and four grandchildren.

Virgil (Chic) Valicenti, Jan. 6, 2003.
A French major at Bates, Chic was a talented quarterback and was part of the team that played Yale to a scoreless tie in 1932. His yearbook entry read, “Men twice his size have often been upset by his hard, accurate tackling.” He also played basketball and interclass baseball. His brother, Peter ’32, who predeceased him, scored the touchdown that won the 1931 football team the Maine State Series championship. Chic’s first career was in teaching. He received an M.Ed. from Bridgewater (Mass.) State College and taught junior high history for 30 years. When he retired in 1981, he joined the Quincy, Mass., Patriot Ledger as a sportswriter. He went on to become the boating editor and president of the New England Harness Writers Assn. He coached semipro football and basketball and was a sports broadcaster for WJDA (Quincy, Mass.) His grandniece is Erin Knott ’03. He is survived by his wife, Mary Elizabeth; two daughters, Kim and Kerry; and a sister.

Margaret Dick Macrae
, June 20, 2002.
Margaret Dick Macrae taught business courses at Nasson College and Bay Path Junior College, and was an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Bates with a degree in mathematics, she was a student coach of volleyball and also played soccer at Bates. She was also active in the Ramsdell Society. Her husband, Norman, predeceased her. Marita Dick Stratton ’39 is her cousin. She is also survived by her nephew, Dr. Charles W. Stratton IV ’69 and her grand-niece, Ellen Kennett Fisher ’71; and several other nieces and nephews. Her nephew, James W. Stratton ’69, predeceased her.

Anna (Ann) Saunders Kilbourne, Feb. 20, 2003.
Anna “Ann” Saunders Kilbourne said that music was her only “claim to fame.” She was a cellist with music organizations in New Jersey and in Maine, and sang with several choirs. She also taught cello, violin, and piano, and directed the choir at her church in Bridgton, Maine. After graduation, she took business courses at Rider College in New Jersey and worked as a secretary at the Princeton Inn. She returned to Maine in 1947 to help manage the dowel company started by her father in Bridgton, and eventually took over the operation. In 1985, she endowed a scholarship at Bates for students from Maine. She and her late husband, William C. Kilbourne ’29, traveled throughout the United States and took several trips abroad. She is survived by her daughter, Catherine A. Kilbourne of Bridgton. Her family has many Bates alumni besides her husband, including her late brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Samuel W. ’30 and Shirley Brown Kilbourne ’29 (whose brother was Arthur G. Brown ’27); her late sister and brother-in-law, Philip ’25 and Mary Saunders Chadbourne ’54. Other survivors include her nephew, S. Richard “Dick” Kilbourne ’67 and his daughters, Kristin ’97 and Cynthia ’00; nephew Thomas A. Chadbourne ’68; and a great-nephew, Adam Saunders Chadbourne ’97.

Norman Kemp
, Jan. 8, 2003.
Norman Kemp used his biology degree as a springboard into a career as a professor of zoology at the Univ. of Michigan. He received his Ph.D. from Berkeley in 1941 and did post-doctoral work at Yale. He served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II. His work was primarily with amphibians and fish. He co-authored a book, The Biology and Evolution of Lung Fishes, and was at work on another book on fish teeth at the time of his death. Additionally, he was an associate editor of The Journal of Morphology, and an experimental embryologist. He maintained associations with Woods Hole (Mass.) Laboratory and Jackson Lab in Maine and took sabbaticals in Hawaii and England. For many years, he was secretary of the Univ. of Michigan chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, as well as president of the Michigan Bates Club. He and his wife, Ruth Robinson Kemp ’37, took an active interest in Bates graduates doing graduate work at the university. At the end of each of his courses, he taught students his Kemp’s Rules for Success: 1. Take care of your health; 2. Compete to win in every contest; 3. If you do not win, go as far as you can; 4. Don’t ever quit. He was very excited when Bates built Underhill Arena: not only was he a hockey player at Bates who remembered the trips to other skating arenas, but Underhill was built on pasture land once owned by his wife’s family. He was an enthusiastic advocate for Bates and a generous supporter of the Fred Pomeroy Scholarship Fund for Bates biology students. He and Ruth were chairs of the Gift Committee for their 55th Reunion. His brother was the Rev. Harry Kemp ’33. His parents-in-law were George H. ’11 and Florence Gray Robinson ’12. Besides his wife, he is survived by his brother, J. Stanley Kemp, and a number of nieces and nephews.

Donald G. Casterline
, Jan. 23, 2003.
Donald Casterline was an otolaryngologist, earning his M.D. from Tufts in 1942. He was a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology and a diplomate of the American Board of Otolaryngologists. At Bates, he excelled as a tennis player and was state champion in his junior year. He served as second vice president of the Alumni Assn. in the late 1950s. He is survived by his wife, Grace.

Marion (Mike) Jones Tebo, July 22, 2002.
Marion Jones Tebo devoted her life to raising her children. Active in her church in Weston, Mass., she had four children. Her husband, J. Stewart Tebo, predeceased her, as did her son, James S. Tebo. She is survived by her daughters, Gail Gray and Linda Linton; her other son, John S. Tebo; three grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

John E. Leard, Feb. 23, 2003.
As far as John Leard was concerned, the day ended at 4 p.m. — the last deadline for news copy at the Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch. He was the quintessential newsman, said the newspaper’s publisher at the time of John’s death. Like many journalists, he started out publishing his own neighborhood newspaper as a young boy. He recalled being impressed by the editor of the Boston Post, who could tell him what the lead article would be in the next day’s paper, and grew up knowing he would be a journalist. At Bates, he was the editor of the Student for two years. He received a master’s in journalism from Columbia in 1939. In 1940, he accepted a Pulitzer traveling fellowship in South America. Upon return, he worked briefly for The Atlantic Monthly and at a newspaper in Connecticut. During World War II, he worked in Army intelligence. He joined the Times Dispatch‘s rival, The News Leader, in 1947 as a reporter and rose to become city editor before the two papers merged. He then was appointed managing editor of the joint staff. He was The New York Times‘ correspondent in Richmond for 10 years. In 1963, he was elected to the American Society of Newspaper Editors and received a medallion as an “outstanding graduate” from Columbia School of Journalism on its 50th anniversary. In 1969, he became the first executive editor of Richmond Newspapers. In 1974, he served as chairman of the Associated Press Managing Editors Continuing Studies Committee. A five-time Pulitzer Prize juror, he was honored with the 1975 George Mason Award for service to Virginia journalism from the local Society for Professional Journalists. He oversaw the composing room’s transition from hot lead type to photo typesetting and the newsroom’s conversion from typewriters to computers. He was a party to a landmark Supreme Court case in the 1980s promoting the rights of newspapers under the Freedom of Information statutes. The decision ensured press access to criminal trials, except in the most exceptional circumstances. After he retired in 1981, he was a volunteer for the World Press Freedom Committee and taught journalism in Barbados for two months every winter for seven years. In 1994, he was inducted into the Virginia Communications Hall of Fame. While at Bates, he worked as a vacation substitute for the Lewiston Evening Journal, and was the undergraduate director of the Bates News Bureau during his junior and senior years. He served as a class agent for many years, was president of his class from 1948 to 1953, and served as an Alumni Trustee from 1958 to 1963. His first wife was Hazel Turner Leard ’40; she died in 1993. His brother was Samuel Leard ’38. He is survived by his wife, Sandra Andrews Leard; his daughter and son-in-law, Raymond ’64 and Linda Leard Parkin ’65; his daughter, Judith Leard Nicholas; two stepsons; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Clark (Jeff) Sawyer, Feb. 27, 2002.
Attending Bates is a family tradition, Clark Sawyer once said. His father was John B. Sawyer ’09; his aunt was Louise F. Sawyer ’13. His brother is Alan R. Sawyer ’41; his son is Clark Jr. ’72; and his nephew is Brian A. Sawyer ’76. He was most proud that he built a manufacturing company that he passed on to his two sons, Clark Jr. and John. Besides his sons, he is survived by his wife, Lilianne Wilbur Sawyer; two daughters, Karen J. Wilford and Deane B. Sawyer; his sister, Janet Sheridan; and eight grandchildren.

George H. Windsor, Nov. 26, 2002.
George H. Windsor graduated cum laude from Bates with a B.A. in government and history. He earned his law degree from Harvard in 1941 and practiced law mostly in the Washington, D.C., area. He held several government positions in the 1940s, notably with the Office of Price Stabilization, the U.S. Alien Property Custodians Office, and the anti-trust division of the Justice Department. For seven years following, he worked in Greensboro, N.C. in private practice and was a professor at North Carolina Central Univ. School of Law in Durham, N.C. He then joined the law firm of Cobb, Howard and Hayes, later Cobb, Howard, Hayes and Windsor, in Washington, D.C., from which he retired in 1999. He served on the board of directors of the Industrial Bank of Washington, most recently as vice chair, and was an adjunct professor at Howard Law School. In 2001, he received the Hall of Fame award from the Washington Bar Assn. for his commitment to the practice of law and his significant contributions to the cause of justice. He was active in the Washington, D.C., Bates Club, serving as president, vice president, and secretary-treasurer at various times. At Bates, he was active in music organizations, the politics club, and the social justice committee. His wife, Constance Quarles Windsor, predeceased him. His daughter, Maude Windsor, and several cousins survive him.

Virginia E. Pump
, Feb. 19, 2002.
Although she didn’t graduate from Bates, Virginia Pump said she “always kept the College in my heart.” Prior to becoming a university-level professor, she worked for a short time in a Valentine factory and as an administrative assistant for Esther Williams Pools. She finished her bachelor’s degree at Fairleigh Dickinson in 1964 and received a master’s in English literature from Seton Hall in 1969. She was a doctoral candidate at NYU, but was unable to finish her dissertation since she was living in Puerto Rico. She taught beginning literature and English as a second language courses at the Inter-American Univ. in Puerto Rico. She was a member of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages. Her sister, Bette-Jeanne Pump Davy, was a member of the Class of 1950. She is survived by her niece, Alice Pump Bouley ’69.

Dorothy Weeks Whiston, Sept. 18, 2002.
Dorothy Weeks Whiston was a preschool teacher at Kingshighway Mini School near St. Louis, Mo. At Bates, she majored in math and was class vice president during her junior year. She also was active in the Outing Club. Her family spent the 1965-66 school year in Jerusalem, while her husband, Lionel A. Whiston Jr. ’39 was on sabbatical from Eden Theological Seminary. As an alumna, she was active in Alumni-in-Admissions, interviewing prospective students in the St. Louis area. She is survived by her husband; three sons, William, Charles, and Stephen; and a brother, David C. Weeks ’41.

Ruth (Russie) Sprague Roberts
, July 10, 2002.
Ruth Sprague Roberts shared valedictorian honors in high school with her sister, Mary, also a member of the Class of 1940 at Bates. Ruth earned a B.A. in French and was elected into Phi Beta Kappa. She returned to her high school in Bath, Maine, as a substitute teacher in 1961 and accepted a full-time position as an English teacher in the junior high in 1968. She was active in the Phippsburg Historical Society, and was its director from 1964 to 1989. She was a contributing author to the book, Phippsburg — Fair to the Wind, and a member of DAR. She was secretary of her class. She sometimes wintered in Florida, but remained “not completely sold on such easy living — seems almost wicked!” Her husband, Kirk G. Roberts, predeceased her. Her grandfather was F.P. Sprague 1880, and her aunt was Harriet Johnson Ramsdell ’16. She is survived by three sons, Peter, David, and Michael; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Katherine (Kay) DeLong Thompson
, Feb. 19, 2003.
Kay DeLong never stopped moving. She held a real estate license in Connecticut until she was 79. After undergoing back surgery, she returned to full activity, skiing and traveling in France, Turkey, Italy, and Greece. She was interested in art and architecture and liked to drive around Maine to look at all the houses. She was active in politics and zoning issues in West Hartford, Conn., where she grew up and lived until moving to Kennebunk a few years ago. Before entering real estate, she worked in insurance and in civil service on a Navy base during World War II. She also worked in the field of market research. When she married her husband, the late Richard Thompson ’41, she married into a large and strong Bates family. Her father-in-law, C. Ray Thompson ’13 was the track coach at Bates for many years. Her mother-in-law was Dagmar Carlson Thompson ’28; her brothers-in-law were C. Hasty Thompson ’40 and Julian Thompson ’42. She is survived by two daughters, Wendy Noyes and Beth Thompson; two sons, Buzz Thompson and Douglas Thompson; three grandchildren; two sisters, Mary Frances Ramsdell and Carolyn Desmond; a step-sister-in-law, Karen Thompson ’54; sister-in-law Elizabeth Moore Thompson ’42; a niece, Elizabeth H. Thompson ’69; and a grand-niece, Ruth Walton Mills ’98.

Richard Lovelace, Dec. 16, 2002.
Richard Lovelace was a Hemingway scholar. He traveled the world seeking out sites Hemingway wrote about, taking photographs to use in discussions with his students at the Taft School in Watertown, Conn. His favorite Hemingway novel was A Farewell To Arms, but he stopped teaching it after the school became coeducational, because he thought it too violent and bloody. He was elected to the College Key as an alumnus and served as a class agent and a career advisor. He received his master’s from the Bread Loaf School of English at Middlebury College, where he was a Robert Frost Scholar, and did additional graduate work at Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, the Univ. of Exeter, and the Univ. of Kent, where he expanded his interest in the Middle Ages. He was the head of the English department at Taft, as well as its director of public relations and the alumni secretary. He published a history of the school in 1989. He was also a past president of the Bates Club of Cape Cod, where he retired in 1982, to indulge his life-long love of sailing small boats. He was active in the town libraries in Watertown and in Orleans, Mass. He is survived by his wife Marguerite; son Richard ’78; daughters June and Anne; a sister, June L. Griffin ’36; and a sister-in-law, Dorothy Hatch Lovelace ’30. He was predeceased by his brother, Daniel ’30, and his sister, Helen Lovelace Ward ’25, as well as his brother-in-law Lewis Griffin ’35.

Willard Loomis (Will) Mills, Feb. 14, 2003.
Willard L. Mills earned a degree in chemistry from Bates and continued his studies at Cleveland State Univ., from which he graduated with honors in 1948. He received a master’s in physical chemistry from Syracuse in 1966 and studied further at MIT. He worked as an industrial chemist from 1943 to 1961 and then turned to teaching at D’Youville College in Buffalo, Spring Garden College in Philadelphia, and finally in public schools in Philadelphia and Morristown, N.J. He retrained as a computer technician at the County College of Morris in Dover, N.J., and worked in that field at Middlesex County College in Edison, N.J., until he retired in 1984. His first wife, Dorothy Marks Mills, died in 1968. His second wife was Carol Storm Stewart ’41, who died in 1999. He is survived by two stepdaughters, Nancy Stewart and Carolyn Stewart Dyer; a sister, Mary Humphrey; and many nieces and nephews.

Hope Newman Richardson, Jan. 3, 2003.
Hope Newman Richardson never turned down a challenge. At the age of 80, she learned to use a computer so she could volunteer at a nearby convention center. Until her death, she was a hot-air balloon enthusiast and crewed for Bill Costen, the former tight end of the Buffalo Bills, at festivals throughout New England. She was the oldest woman balloonist in Connecticut. In 1990, she became a minister in the Church of Tzaddi, a universal Christian metaphysical church, and a Reiki master, performing hands-on spiritual healing and counseling. She described her life work to the Norwalk (Conn.) Hour this way: “One day when I was 8, I climbed a tall tree and heard a voice say, ‘Spend your life in service to others.'” A cum laude sociology and economics major at Bates, she earned an M.S.W. from Simmons in 1955 and was a charter member of the National Assn. of Social Workers. She worked as a psychiatric social worker at Worcester Family Services Agency and McLean Hospital in Massachusetts and at Hall-Brook Hospital in Westport, Conn. She was a school social worker for 15 years in Norwalk, Conn. She also maintained a private practice in marriage and family counseling. Her husband, Joe Thomas Richardson, and her son, Robert Mac Donald, predeceased her. She is survived by her daughter-in-law, Linda MacDonald, and one grandchild.

Michael E. Matragrano
, Dec. 5, 1988.
Michael Matragrano was a baseball standout during his four years at Bates. His love of the sport lasted throughout his life. “He loved baseball like no other person I have ever known,” says his stepson, Tim Sullivan. After serving in the military during World War II, Michael went on to manage the shipping department in a manufacturing company. He is survived by his wife, Christine Sullivan, as well as his stepson.

Dorothy Milliken Sigsbee, Aug. 18, 2002.
Dorothy Milliken Sigsbee was literally a daughter of Maine and of Bates. She was born in Blaine Mansion, the home of Maine’s governor, while her father, Carl E. Milliken, Class of 1897, was governor. Her mother was Emma Chase Milliken, Class of 1897, the daughter of Bates’ second president, George Colby Chase, Class of 1868. Shortly after graduation, she trained as a buyer for Filene’s and then worked on the line at Seagram’s distillery while her future husband, John P. Sigsbee ’42, served in the U.S. Army; they were married in 1945 and he later became a medical doctor. She was an accomplished artist, specializing in scenes of Cape Cod. Her father was also a Bates Trustee. Her brother, Carl E. Milliken Jr., was a member of the Class of 1935. Many of her sisters attended Bates as well: Nelly Milliken Wade ’23, Vivian Milliken Wills ’24, Gladys E. Milliken ’26, Beatrice Milliken Stiles ’28, and Edith Milliken Wade ’36. Nelly Milliken Wade’s husband was Robert Wade ’23; her son is Robert Wade ’50, a Bates Trustee emeritus, who survives her. Her granddaughter, Emily Sigsbee, graduated from Bates in 1997, 100 years after Mrs. Sigsbee’s parents. Besides her nephew and her granddaughter, she is survived by her daughter, Anne Sigsbee; two sons, Bruce Sigsbee and Carl Sigsbee; and seven other grandchildren.

Donald K. Dyer
, Jan. 23, 2003. Donald Dyer was a lifelong resident of Auburn. He served in India during World War II. He was the tax assessor for Auburn for several years, and then worked as an appraiser until his retirement in 1982. He also served as the tax assessor for Augusta. He was a Mason and a 50-year member of the Kora Shriners. He was a charter member of the Fairlawn Golf Course and an avid golfer. He enjoyed his membership in the Football Prognosticators Assn. and was an enthusiastic supporter of all his grandchildren’s athletic activities. He is survived by his wife, Margery Hammond Dyer; his daughters, Donna Stewart and Jane Ham; his son, John; seven grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and a brother, Forrest J. Dyer.

Barbara Moore James, Dec. 24, 2002.
Barbara Moore James grew up on Frye Street and was married to John H. James ’42 immediately after Commencement in 1943. A biology major, she went on to become a phlebotomist at New England Baptist Hospital in Boston. A gardener and seamstress, her special passion was swimming. She swam for fundraisers and taught adults how to swim. In fact, she met her future husband while swimming at Old Orchard Beach as a high school student. He drove a milk truck for H.P. Hood and would pick her up in the winter with the bells ringing to take her for a ride around Lake Auburn. When they did, he would point to particular farmhouse and say, “Someday, Barb, we’re going to live there and have six kids.” And that is in fact exactly what they did. She is survived by her husband and their six children, Peter, Jonathan, Richard, Judith Upham, Susan Dowe, and Barbara Mora; 15 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild. Her niece, Elizabeth Hasty Thompson, is a member of the Class of 1969. Her mother was Ruth Frost Moore ’18; her father was Ernest “Monty” Moore ’15, who was the director of athletics, 1938-1949. Her grandfather was Joshua M. Frost, who received an honorary degree from Bates in 1944. Her sister is Elizabeth Moore Thompson ’42; her brother-in-law, Julian Thompson ’42, predeceased her.

John Joyce
, Jan. 14, 2003.
Jack Joyce was arguably the best athlete to ever play at Bates. Even as a freshman, he starred in football (left end), basketball (forward), and baseball (shortstop). The Lewiston newspapers inevitably called him “glue fingered,” so skilled was he at catching a football. When Bates played Toledo State in the Glass Bowl, he caught three consecutive passes to overcome a third-and-17 situation and to set up Bates’ second touchdown. His academic and athletic career was interrupted by service in the Pacific during World War II; he was part of the V-12 unit at Bates. He continued his interest in sports by becoming a football official and worked two Army-Navy games and two bowl games. He was also active in the Cape Cod Senior Softball League. In 1976, he was elected president of the Boston chapter of the Eastern Assn. of Intercollegiate Football Officials and later became a director. He had a 41-year career as a teacher and administrator in Framingham, Mass. He received an A.B. in geology from Bates and held an M.S. from WPI and an M.Ed. from Boston Univ. Jack and his wife, Elizabeth Benoit Joyce ’45, were co-class presidents at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife; a son, Paul ’76; daughters Deborah Smith and Carol Kelley; a brother; and three grandchildren.

Florence (Furf) Furfey Hess
, Jan. 18, 2003.
Florence Furfey Hess graduated from Bates with a B.A. in English and speech. She was the managing editor of The Bates Student and a student assistant in the English and radio departments. She went on to receive a master’s degree in education from Kent State Univ., but built a career in public relations and marketing. She began her career at Bates Manufacturing, where she prepared, wrote, directed, and narrated the popular radio feature, “Do You Know Maine?” She moved to Ohio where she was director of public relations for Massillon school system, and then a public relations consultant in North Canton, Ohio. She retired in 1988 as director of public relations and marketing communications for Timkin Mercy Medical Center. She was active in many civic groups, including the College Club of Canton, the Canton Symphony Orchestra Assn., the Canton Art Institute, and the American Heart Assn. Her husband, Jacob F. Hess Jr., predeceased her. She is survived by her daughter, Ann Hess Myers, and her granddaughter, Molly Hess.

Ruth Hoffman Aitchison
, Jan. 19, 2003.
Ruth Hoffman Aitchison attended Bates for two years and graduated from Pepperdine. She was well known for her work in needlepoint and embroidery. She is survived by her husband, Harry; her sons, Harry Jr. and Thomas; her daughter, Nancy Aitchison; her sister, Dorcas Wilson, and brother, Frederick Hoffman; and two grandchildren.

Ruth (Murph) Murphy Gaghagen
, Feb. 11, 2003.
Ruth Murphy Gaghagen was a graduate of Lewiston High School and returned to the Lewiston schools after Bates to teach French for many years. She served as a private in the Women’s Army Corps during peacetime. At Bates, she was active in Lambda Alpha, the Newman Club, and Future Teachers of America. She also studied at UMaine-Orono. Her husband, James W. Gaghagen, preceded her in death. She is survived by her sister, Rachel M. Ferguson; two nephews and a niece; and several aunts and cousins.

Donald J. Ryder, Jan. 6, 2003.
Donald Ryder received an A.B. in psychology from Bates, and then a bachelor’s of divinity from Gordon-Cornwell Theological Seminary. In 1952, he earned a master’s of divinity from Harvard Divinity School. He did further study at Andover Newton Theological School. He was a pastor in the American Baptist Church from 1952 to 1983, serving in Appleton, Maine, Cortland, N.Y., and Andover and Beverly Farms, Mass., and then became involved in Christian radio as a radio engineer for Family Stations Inc. He served on the board of the United Baptist Convention of Maine and the Lord’s Day League of Massachusetts. He was active in the Evangelical Assn. of New England and the Chinese Evangelical Literature Committee. He is survived by his wife, Judith Daman Ryder; and two daughters, Ruth Swenson and Dorothy Parker.

Alice Weber Cerasaro, Sept. 1, 2002.
Alice Cerasaro was a supervisor in child support enforcement for the state of Florida. Following retirement, she was a “full-time volunteer” in the jewelry store owned by two of her sons. At Bates, she received an A.B. in French and was a director of the Outing Club during her junior and senior years. She is survived by her husband, John; and two sons, Jon and George. Another son, Steven, predeceased her.

Frederick Ienello
, July 12, 2002.
Frederick Ienello was a guidance counselor and lived in Cocoa Beach, Fla. He received a master’s in education from the Univ. of Connecticut. He leaves his wife, Valjean Littlefield Ripley Ienello ’49, and three children, Michael, Sandra, and Lila.

Grace (Gracie) Grimes Andrews
, Feb. 22, 2003.
Grace Grimes Andrews was a retired nurse and health teacher. For the last five years of her teaching career, she taught from a wheelchair, a result of multiple sclerosis and arthritis. She was a founder and coordinator of the Multiple Sclerosis Seekonk Self-Help Group and received the East Providence (R.I.) School Department Teacher of the Year Award in 1980. She was a coordinator of PARI (People Actively Reaching for Independence) and a relentless advocate for the disabled. She often took her students to shopping malls to demonstrate the problems people using wheelchairs or electric scooters encounter. Prior to her 20-year teaching career, she was a nurse at several hospitals in Rhode Island. A musician, she played drums and violin. At Bates, she was active in music and modern dance groups, and played basketball and hockey. Her husband, James R. Andrews, is a member of the Class of 1952, and Ralph Nelson ’61 is her nephew. Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Elizabeth Andrews and Julie Sarri; a brother, William D.W. Grimes; a sister, Rebecca G. Kita; and two grandchildren.

W. Edwin Gilson Jr.
Dec. 5, 2002.
Upon graduation from Bates, “Ed” entered the United States Marine Corps, graduating from Officer Candidate School in 1959. He served on active duty until 1961, and then in the Reserves for 15 years, retiring as a lieutenant colonel in 1978. He had a distinguished 38-year career in the insurance industry. In 1986 he moved to Jacksonville, Fla., to work with Carolina Casualty Insurance Co., and served 10 years as its president. During his tenure, Ed turned Carolina Casualty into a profitable company and expanded its business lines. After leaving Carolina Casualty, he ran a small Jacksonville insurance agency before retiring. He was an avid golfer, a Little League baseball coach, a die-hard Jaguar fan, and a dog lover. He is survived by his wife. Elizabeth “Beth” Jones Gilson ’60; their children James, David, and Debra Wright; and 10 grandchildren.

Edgar William (Bill) Davis Jr.
, Aug. 17, 2002.
After graduation, Bill, a government major, went on to earn a master’s and doctorate in education administration from the Univ. of Connecticut. He was principal of the junior high in Winslow, Maine, and principal of the high school in Belfast, Maine. He also taught at the E.O. Smith School in Storrs, Conn., and became the director of the high school there. He was also the principal of the high school in Springfield, Vt. He served on the board of directors of the Horace Mann League of America and was active in the National Assn. of Secondary School Principals. His nephew is J. Eric Leimbach ’83. He is survived by his wife, Ann; his children, Kerri, Robert, Edgar III, Jeffrey, and Timothy; two sisters; and three grandchildren.

Carolyn Cary Haskell
, Nov. 8, 2002.
Lyn had three passions in life: music, cooking, and Orrs Island, where she lived for many years. She was a founding member of the Androscoggin Chorale. She and her husband, Richard, put together a cookbook of their favorite recipes as gifts to family and friends. She was the first woman commodore in the history of the Orrs Bailey Island Yacht Club. She and her husband formed Design+, an architectural/construction company, in 1976. In 1998, when Design+ was dissolved, she became a counselor at Central Maine Counseling Service and worked there for four years. She is survived by her husband; her daughter, Maren; her parents, Kenneth ’53 and Susan Cary; three brothers, Robert, Bruce, and Kenneth; a sister, Cynthia Hammond; a granddaughter, Kaylie; her cousin, Janice Upham ’62; and her dearest friend, Deirdre Samuels ’70.

Yasmin N. Roberts
, Dec. 9, 2002.
Yasmin Roberts was an anthropology major at Bates. It was while working with Haitian women at Cambridge Hospital in Massachusetts that she realized her calling. She earned her master’s and doctorate at the Univ. of Denver Graduate School of Professional Psychology and did post-doctoral work at the Univ. of Maryland Medical Center. She specialized in working with treatment-resistant patients with life-threatening psychological problems, such as eating disorders, at the Austen Riggs Center, a small psychiatric hospital in Stockbridge, Mass. She traveled to Europe, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, and was a scuba diver and marathon runner. Her survivors include her parents, Mary and Paul Roberts, and her brother, Philip.

Constance Anderson St. John
, Jan. 3, 2003.
Constance Anderson St. John’s family created the 574-acre Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation Area, a defining coastal resource of the College. She spent summers at Morse Farm in the preserve, and was well known to visitors and researchers for her ardent stewardship of the land. In 1978, St. John, her brothers-in-law, and her sister-in-law donated the pristine coastal land in Phippsburg to create the Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation Area, a nonprofit corporation that leased the acreage to Bates, which manages the coastal preserve. The land — a diverse sanctuary of wetlands, forests, sand dunes, and beach and a high rocky outcrop with views of the coast, salt marshes and White Mountains — was originally purchased in the 1930s by St. John’s father-in-law, George St. John, a former Choate School headmaster. Forever protected from development through Nature Conservancy easements, the land is a research haven for Bates students and professors, who also access the nearby Coastal Center at Shortridge, an 80-acre study and retreat facility. Among St. John’s survivors is her niece, Barbara St. John Vickery ’83, director of conservation programs for The Nature Conservancy.

John C. Howard, March 1, 2003.
John C. Howard completed Navy V-12 training at Bates, where he met his wife, Elizabeth “Betty” Kimball Howard ’46. He studied aeronautic and electrical engineering at Parks Air College and University of Maine. He was a mine disposal and deep-sea diving specialist during World War II. He was an insurance claims adjuster for the General Adjustment Bureau for 42 years, with an expertise in marine claims and aeronautic losses. In his town of Orrington, Maine, he was a selectman, assessor, overseer, member of the planning board, and chair of a school building committee. He also was a Boy Scout leader for over 40 years, and served on several national committees of that organization. He received the Silver Beaver Award in 1966, the highest award in Boy Scouting. For over 20 years, he and his wife volunteered at Baxter State Park; he served on its board of directors and was a founding member of the Friends of Baxter State Park. The American Institute for Public Service and Maine Broadcasting System awarded him the Thomas Jefferson Award for Outstanding Public Service in 1991. He is survived by his wife; son John Alan Howard ’69 and daughter-in-law Melanie McHenry Howard ’71; sons Peter J. Howard and Thomas A. Howard; daughter Deborah F. Howard; and five grandchildren. He was predeceased a son, David K. Howard, in 1953.