Lola Mitchell Waterman Sigel, May 19, 2004.
While at Bates, Lola Mitchell Waterman Sigel earned room and board as a mother’s helper for the Peck family. In 1924, she married Erland Waterman, a prominent farmer in Sabattus. She used her experiences on the farm (which also ran an International Harvester dealership and other small enterprises) as well as the experiences of her husband’s ancestors in her 1949 book, I Fell Among Farmers. After her husband died in 1939, she struggled to keep the farm and its related businesses going, but she was forced to liquidate everything but the dairy farm itself during World War II. In 1942, she married Franz Sigel, a career Army officer (whose grandfather fought in the Civil War), but remained on the farm while he was assigned elsewhere, until her two sons completed their schooling and she could sell the farm to them. To make ends meet during the war, she taught English and Latin in Wales, Litchfield, Lisbon Falls, and Sabattus, where she was also the assistant principal. She resigned in 1956 to join her husband for a three-year tour of Germany. While there, she took a three-day bus trip to Paris that cost her $24. She wrote an article for the Lewiston Evening Journal from Germany, where she said, “We are told that we are here not as conquerors but as a member of NATO and that we are the foreigners on their soil. It behooves us to represent our country the best we can.” On her 100th birthday, she recited Longfellow’s “The Wreck of the Hesperus” from memory. Her granddaughter is Donna Waterman Douglass ’89, and her sister-in-law is Vesta Brown Mitchell ’32, the widow of Elmer L. Mitchell ’32. She is survived by sons Robert D. Waterman Sr. and Donald M. Waterman; nine grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; and a half-brother, F. Emerson Mitchell.


Michael J. Harkins, Jan. 8, 2004.
Mike Harkins, a native of Lewiston, earned his medical degree from McGill Univ. in 1932. He returned to Lewiston for an internship at Central Maine General Hospital and remained on its staff until 1966. He also studied at Boston Univ. and Columbia. He served as a Lewiston police commissioner until World War II. During the war, he served in Iceland, North Labrador, and Italy, where he was made a major in the Army Air Corps medical corps. After leaving Central Maine General Hospital, he maintained a private practice until 1995. He was a founder of Montello Manor, a retirement community in Lewiston. His wife, the former Helen McGillicuddy, died in 1999. He is survived by three daughters, Helen Jennings, Margaret Harkins, and Nance Harkins; two sons, Michael J. Harkins Jr. and John McGillicuddy Harkins; and three grandchildren.


Wendell W. Tetley, Feb. 1, 2004.
Wendell Tetley taught for 25 years in Maine and New Hampshire. He was very active in the Masons, and held the General John Sullivan Medal and the Jeremy Lass Cross Medal. As a York Rite Mason, he was excellent high priest of the Pemigewasset Chapter 13 and illustrious master of Omega Council 9. As a Scottish Rite Mason, he was a member of the New Hampshire Consistory. He was also a district grand master of the 8th Masonic District, a member of the Knights of York Cross of Honor and Order of the Temple, and a Worthy Patron of the Order of the Eastern Star. His wife, Helen, predeceased him. He leaves four sons, Vernon, Wayne, Paul, and Philip; 10 grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and a sister, Erma Tetley Morton ’29. His niece is Mary Morton Cowan ’61, whose husband is Carl Cowan ’61; their son is Timothy Cowan ’91, whose wife is Marianne Nolan Cowan ’92. His father, Rev. Edmund B. Tetley, was a member of the Class of 1899.


Fred R. Dingley, April 9, 2004.
Fred Dingley climbed Mount Katahdin for the 30th time on his 78th birthday. He was a prominent educator in Maine, teaching in Lisbon and Sabattus, and serving as principal in Carmel, Mattawamkeag, Millinocket, and Lee. At Lee Academy, he was submaster and guidance counselor from 1946 to 1952, and principal from 1952 to 1971. He was also the town moderator in Lee for over 30 years. The planetarium at Lee Academy is named in his honor. He graduated cum laude from Bates with an A.B. in biblical literature and from time to time filled in as pastor at local churches. He also received a master’s from the College in 1937. Both Ricker College and Bowdoin awarded him honorary degrees. A poet, he published two books of his works. His poetry was about the world he observed on his land in Maine, and prompted Bud Leavitt, the noted outdoors writer for the Bangor Daily News, to write in 1981 that he had “a knack for putting cabin smoke into the poetic word.” When his second book sold well during the Christmas season in 1986, he remarked that it just showed how desperate people became as the deadline approached. He also mused that it might be selling well “because people can’t believe I could write it.” He was also the major author and historian in charge of preparation for the book History of a Frontier School — Lee Academy 1845-1988. He was a member of the Maine State Board of Education, 1950-61, serving as chair during his last year. He was a trustee of Husson College, 1965-81. He received Husson’s President’s Award for Distinguished Service in 1982. He was an honorary trustee of Lee Academy from 1971 until his death. He also served many educational associations as president during his career. His first wife, Margaret Lancaster Dingley, died in 1957. He married Madeline Lancaster in 1964. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a number of nieces and nephews.

Ruth Shaw French, Jan. 26, 2004.
When Ruth Shaw French retired, her fellow teachers at Fryeburg Academy instituted the Ruth French Award, given annually to the senior “who best exemplifies the spirit of dedication, enthusiasm, and good citizenship which characterize Mrs. French’s years of devotion to Fryeburg Academy.” A graduate of the academy, she taught there from 1953 to 1974. She was chair of the English and language department, dean of girls, a resident house parent, and theater coach. In 1986, she received the school’s distinguished alumni award from the Alumni Assn. In 1998, she was recognized by the Maine Senate and House for “her many years of working with young people in the areas of English and reading.” A cum laude graduate in Latin and Greek, she earned a master’s from Middlebury in 1959. At Bates, she was active in the Outing Club and many language clubs. She continued to tutor in retirement. She served as church organist for 17 years. Her husband, Thomas, predeceased her.


Esther C. Cook Smith, Dec. 30, 2003.
Esther Cook Smith attended the Sorbonne after graduation, and also studied at Middlebury and McGill. She was a French and English teacher for many years in Stonington and Rockland, Maine. She retired from Williams High School in Oakland in 1966. Early in her career, she taught at an American mission in Syria. When she had occasion to visit the Univ. of Arizona and Arizona State Univ., both with over 40,000 students, she observed, “I am sure that they cannot nearly approach the success that smaller institutions like Bates achieved over many decades in teaching young people how to live happy, useful, moral lives as good family members, and good citizens of our republic.” She was an athlete at Bates, playing hockey, baseball, and soccer. She also ran track and was active with the Outing Club. Her husband, Ralph Smith Jr., died in 1994. She is survived by her son, Ralph Smith III, and her brother, William Cook.


Rosamond Nichols Dustin, April 21, 2004.
Rosamond Nichols Dustin loved teaching math to children. She taught homebound children for many years, and taught in the Stratford, Conn., schools for 15 years. Following her retirement in 1971, she tutored in the adolescent ward at Bridgeport Hospital, and received a citation from the hospital for her work. In 1962 she earned a master’s degree from Fairfield Univ. She was a weaver and handbell player. She served as a director of the Housatonic Teachers Credit Union, and was active in the Literacy Volunteers of America, retired teachers associations, and the Stratford Historical Society. While at Bates, she played basketball, hockey, baseball, tennis, and soccer. She also met her husband-to-be, Elden Dustin ’32, who wrote a few years ago, “Our Bates senior year romance continues as we go into the 68th year of our marriage.” Besides her husband, she is survived by her son, Daniel; two daughters, Sara Dustin and Susan Clarke; a sister, Eleanor Wilson; 10 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.


Lionel A. Lemieux, Jan. 21, 2004.
Lionel Lemieux, a member of the Eastern Intercollegiate Championship Debating Team of 1933, worked his way through Bates as a telegrapher for Western Union, and later traveled throughout New England for the company. In 1940, he joined the Lewiston Evening Journal as a reporter, and retired from there in 1982 as editor of the Lewiston Daily Sun editorial page. In between, he was the city editor and an editorial writer. As a reporter, he wrote on politics, including a weekly column, and was considered the dean of Maine political writers. He also wrote a weekly newsletter on Maine for the Boston Sunday Globe from 1952 to 965. In 1956, he received the Distinguished Alumni Service award from the College. He served his class as president, as class agent, and on Reunion committees. Active in civic affairs, too, he was a corporator of the Auburn Public Library and of Central Maine General Hospital and a charter member of the Lewiston-Auburn Junior Chamber of Commerce. His first wife, Loretta, died in 1971. In 1980, he married Barbara Frost, who survives him, as do his son, Paul; his daughter, Janet McMahon; his stepdaughter, Anne Marie Clark; eight grandchildren; three step-grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Two sons predeceased him: Lawrence, who died as an infant, and L. David Lemieux ’58. His nine brothers and two sisters predeceased him.

Samuel Scolnik, April 7, 2004.
The son of immigrants, Sam Scolnik graduated cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a degree in economics and sociology. His family quickly made Bates a tradition; both of Sam’s brothers are alumni, William ’35 and Edward ’39. Sam graduated from Boston Univ. School of Law in 1936, and built a career with the Veterans Administration at Togus and Washington, D.C., following service in the Army during World War II. He retired from the Veterans Board of Appeals in 1971, and enjoyed traveling to Europe and Israel with his wife, Mary Abromson Scolnik ’36. Besides his wife and brothers, he is survived by his sons, Stephen and Louis. His cousin is Louis Scolnik ’45.

Harold Yudkin, Jan. 21, 2004.
Bates taught him perseverance, Harold Yudkin once said, and it served him well. After graduating with a degree in chemistry, he headed off to medical school at the Univ. of Virginia, only to be told on the first day that he couldn’t hold a much-needed part-time job while there. So he turned on his heel and walked down the street and enrolled at the school of law. He initially entered college at 15, and spent three years at Johns Hopkins until financial considerations made Bates a more attractive option for his final year. He enlisted in the Army after Pearl Harbor and served in England. He then went on to a successful law career in Derby, Conn. He also formed a company that built a shopping center in town, as well as nearly 100 houses. He retired in 1987, and then turned his attention to his fascination with history, eventually writing a 1,500-page “first person” account of Benedict Arnold in his pre-traitorous days, entitled, When I Was a Loyal American. He theorized that Arnold, the acknowledged founder of the U.S. Navy, was discouraged when he was denied a post on a military ship after a leg injury made it impossible to ride a horse into battle. Mr. Yudkin also had a deep interest in Israel, and published articles in the Jewish Digest. He also was a founder of Beth Israel Synagogue Center in Derby. His first wife, Ida Moore Yudkin, died in 1960. He married Selma Levy in 1963, and she survives him. He is also survived by his son, Franklin, and two grandchildren.


Wesley E. Baldwin, Jan. 17, 2004.
Wesley Baldwin served at the Supreme Headquarters Allied Forces Europe under General Eisenhower during World War II. He was vice president-treasurer of Sherwin Williams in Brazil until his retirement in 1974. In Sao Paulo, he was president of the Chamber of Commerce and president of the board of the American School. After retirement, he became the head of the income tax service for AARP in Fort Lauderdale, and volunteered with SCORE. He is survived by his wife, Georgia; his son, George; and three grandchildren.

Ruth Frye Tanner, March 17, 2004.
Ruth Frye Tanner used her degree in Latin to teach Latin, English, and French in New Hampshire for several years following graduation. She was an athlete while at Bates, and played soccer, hockey, basketball, and volleyball. Her husband, Harry, died in 1969. She is survived by her children, John, Cheryl Wersackas, and Melissa Gallery; four grandchildren; and many great-grandchildren.


Donald J. Gautier, May 2, 2004.
Donald Gautier’s military career is the stuff of legends. He served in the Army under Gen. George S. Patton and led his company in the final liberation of Luxembourg and the advance into Germany. He was the military governor of an occupied area, and was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart. Following the war, he joined the Army Reserves, and retired as a colonel in 1973. In 1956, Maine Gov. Edmund Muskie, his classmate, awarded him the medal of excellence for use of weapons in a competition among members of the First Army. In 1957, he became superintendent of the Maine Military Academy, which trained Army and National Guard officers for promotion. He was a member of the Auburn Rifle Team, the Civilian Rifle Team, the Maine Rifle Team, which he captained in 1940, and the National Rifle Team. He was president of his class while at Bates and as an alumnus, 1956-61. He played football and baseball while a student, and enjoyed the Maine woods. In fact, at his 50th Reunion, he noted that the highlight of the past 50 years had been “guiding David Crafts Whitehouse ’36 through the woods of Maine for the last 50 years with considerable success.” He served on the executive committee of the Alumni Assn. and was vice president of his class from 1976 until his death. In 1954, he became the postmaster for the city of Auburn. He retired from that position in 1972. He was a past president of the Kiwanis Club, a member of the Auburn Development Corp., and served on the board of directors of the YMCA. He is survived by his wife, Patricia; his daughter, Margaret Gautier; his son, Donald Gautier Jr.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. His first wife, Margaret, died in 1997.

Isabelle McCann Rogovin, Sept. 23, 2003.
Isabelle McCann Rogovin transferred from Bates to Middlebury, graduating from there in 1937. She worked as a medical technologist in Boston and Norwich, Conn. After her marriage to Isadore Rogovin, she helped run his store in New London, Conn. She was an award-winning skier while in college, and she and her husband loved to dance, play bridge, and swim. She was a docent at the Waterford (Conn.) Historical Society and active with the Waterford Women’s Club. Her husband passed away in 1997. Her father, Josiah, was a member of the Class of 1900. She is survived by many nieces and nephews.

Barbara Moody Roullard, Nov. 11, 2003.
Barbara Moody Roullard taught school in Maine after graduation and again from 1956 to 1966. She and her husband, Edward, traveled to different parts of the world for his work, and she especially recalled standing outside Checkpoint Charlie at the Berlin Wall. Her husband died in 1989. She is survived by her son, Paul; daughters Janet and Joyce; eight grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.


Warren Cole, April 30, 2004.
Warren Cole, a Latin major, taught at Garland High School for two years before joining the Army in 1941. He attended officers’ candidate school in New Caledonia, having sailed there on the 1st Convoy to the South Pacific. He was a lieutenant on Guadalcanal. In 1944, he was assigned to the Army’s general dispensary in Chicago, where he became a captain. In 1952, he and other family members founded Cole Farms, a popular restaurant in Gray, Maine. He is survived by his sister, Merilyn Pollard. His brother was Norman Cole ’32.

Ruth Preble Jordan, April 29, 2004.
Ruth Preble Jordan took the popular advice to heart: She rode a purple bicycle and was a member of the Red Hat Society. After graduation, she worked for New England Telephone, where she met her husband, Dana, who died in 1993. They lived for many years in Bremen, and she had recently moved to South Portland, close to her family. She is survived by her four daughters, Susan Stella, Judith Blackinton, Meredith Jordan, and Deborah Pearson, and three grandchildren.


Raymond E. Gove, June 9, 2003.
Raymond Gove started a second career after he retired from teaching in 1979: He went to nursing school and worked for several years as an RN. He taught science for 32 years in Maine and Connecticut, primarily at Windham High School in Connecticut. He was awarded a master’s in psychology from UMaine-Orono in 1952. He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Julia; two daughters (both nurses), Judith Hollar and Bonnie Ohlund; a sister, Barbara Wyman; two grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. His late father, Guy H. Gove, was in the Class of 1913.

Miriam Lapworth Higgins, April 22, 2003.
Miriam Lapworth Higgins was at Bates for one year. She graduated from Rhode Island School of Design in 1940. She is survived by her son, Jay; two daughters, Betsy Donahue and Susan Bradley; five grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.


Virginia Copeland Jayne White, Dec. 18, 2003.
Virginia Copeland Jayne White was a lifelong resident of Watertown, Conn. There, she was a member of First Congregational Church and very active in the Trumbell-Porter Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, for which she served as secretary and treasurer. With her first husband,  S.P. “Bud” Jayne, she operated Domestic Rabbit Products, which later became Buddy Jayne Fur Toys. Following his death in 1983, she married Munson White, and became the treasurer, bookkeeper, and public relations manager of her horse farm, Crystal Spring Farm, in the family since at least the 1800s. She is survived by her sons, John Jayne and Arthur Jayne; her sister, Evelyn Copeland ’39; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

John M. Haskell, Dec. 22, 2003.
“Pete” Haskell ran for office while he was a student on a platform advocating “off-campus dancing, no compulsory chapel, and other daring things.” He might have won (the record isn’t clear), because he was secretary-treasurer of his class in his junior year, and president his senior year. He also served on the student council while a senior. He played basketball and co-captained the golf team for two years. His degree was in history and government, and he went on to earn a master’s from Westfield State College. He studied at Clark on a fellowship in history and international relations, and in 1968 won a John Hay fellowship in humanities. He taught in Longmeadow, Mass., and Milton, Mass., eventually becoming the assistant superintendent of schools there. He and his wife, Ruth, retired to North Carolina in 1980, where he enjoyed working with a theater group called the North Carolina Players. His first wife, Jean Fairchild Ryder ’41, died in 1949. He is survived by his wife, Ruth; his daughter and son-in-law, Nancy ’71 and David Magnusson ’71; another daughter, Wendy; a son, Richard; and five grandchildren.

Charles V. Lovely, April 20, 2004.
Charlie Lovely admired his father, Eugene Lovely ’11, a high school principal, and decided to follow in his footsteps. His career plans were interrupted by World War II, which he spent in the Army with a chemical engineering unit (he had a bachelor’s in biology) in the Philippines and France. After the war, he earned a master’s in education from Boston Univ. in 1947; it was there he met Elizabeth Jackson, who would become his wife. He began teaching science in Marblehead, Mass., in 1948, and retired from Marblehead High School as its principal in 1977, when he was named administrator of the year by the Massachusetts Secondary School Principals Assn. In 1971, the Marblehead school board tried to let him go (they wanted someone with a “different style”). His students staged a walkout. Hundreds of people turned out that evening in support of him, and the school board backed down. After retirement, he continued to teach at Endicott Junior College for several years. He taught Sunday school and served as president of Clifton Lutheran Church. When he and his wife retired to Wellfleet, Mass., he became moderator, deacon, and Sunday school teacher at the Congregational church there. He also served as a field representative for five years for the National Assn. of Secondary School Principals (“I should represent someone with a shorter name,” he wrote). He was president of the North Shore Bates Club from 1968 to 1975. In addition to his wife, he is survived by his three sons, Stephen, John, and Andrew ’75 (whose wife is Laura King Lovely ’76); a brother, David Lovely ’38; and five grandchildren, one of whom is Ann Elizabeth Lovely ’07. His niece is Julie Jackson Flynn ’84. His mother, Isabell Kincaid Lovely, was also a member of the Class of 1911, and her sister was Abigail Kincaid Blake ’12. His sister was Lillian Lovely Toth ’47. His uncle, Irving Blake ’11, wrote the words to the Alma Mater.


Richard T. Carroll, Dec. 20, 2002.
Dick Carroll’s life was changed in different ways by each of his three children. His first child died at age 3 after ingesting a lethal amount of adult allergy medication. His son was born severely disabled, and requires constant care. His youngest child became ensnared in a religious cult while in college, and Dick and his wife, Marian Loveland Carroll ’42, rescued and deprogrammed her. This work led them to found an organization that became the Cult Awareness Network, and for the next 20 years, they were prominent in this field, receiving a Hall of Fame award from the organization in 1991. (In 1996, associates of the Church of Scientology bought the organization’s name and resources in bankruptcy court and changed its mission significantly, much to the distress of its former volunteers and staff, who claim CAN was forced into bankruptcy by the church.) Dick’s professional life was spent as a chemist and research associate at B.F. Goodrich, a logical extension of his B.S. from Bates and his Ph.D. from Cornell in chemistry. His father, John ’09, was head of the economics department at Bates. His two brothers, both deceased, were John ’32 and Russell ’31. His wife predeceased him. He is survived by his son, Jack, his daughter, Marcia DuFore, and one grandchild.

Robert Curtis, Feb. 7, 2004.
Bob Curtis graduated with a degree in history and government, and then volunteered for service in the U.S. Navy Reserves rather than let the government decide his fate. He served four years as a deck officer on fleet oilers. Afterwards, he took advantage of the GI Bill to get a master’s in international studies from Geneva Univ. in Switzerland. He also earned a Ph.D. in political science from Georgetown in 1959. He taught for four years at the Univ. of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and then joined the faculty at Wilson College in Pennsylvania. There, he became chair of the political science department and directed an interdisciplinary program in international studies for students interested in government or business careers abroad or with the United Nations. He retired in 1986. He is survived by his wife, Jean Crego Curtis; a sister, Barbara Lewis; and two brothers, Donald and Wallis.

Sumner N. Levin, Sept. 13, 2003.
Sumner Levin was drafted while at Bates and became an ensign in the Navy. Following the war, he built his career at Connecticut Container Corp. His wife, Barbara, predeceased him. He is survived by his sons, Richard and Lawrence; his brothers, Clinton, Marvin, and Gilbert; and three grandchildren.

Vera Vivian Peci, Jan. 30, 2004.
Despite graduating cum laude with a degree in chemistry, Viv Peci realized that she didn’t have a future in lab work, “As a female and with only a B.S., I would be standing on my feet at the lab bench until retirement,” she said after 10 years in the lab. So she turned to work in chemical literature, abstracting and searching patents at Esso, the American Petroleum Institute, and Texaco. She said she always found her training was at least as good as her co-workers, “thanks to professors Thomas and Lawrance.” She ruefully noted one time that college was almost the high point of her life (surpassed only by her first trip to Europe), “so since then it’s been all downhill.” Her husband, Herbert Peci, died in 2003.

Sibyl Witham Smith, Feb. 12, 2004.
Sibyl Witham Smith’s career ranged from teaching to designing solar greenhouses to aiding people with chronic illness. At the time of her death, she was studying for a Ph.D. in nutrition. A physics and math major at Bates, she taught in the Skowhegan schools before earning an engineering degree, which led to her designing solar greenhouses for General Electric in the 1940s. She became interested in nutrition and received a master’s in nutrition from Donsbach Univ. She also studied food service and hotel management at Schenectady County Community College. When she was diagnosed in 1990 with CFIDS, she credited her knowledge of nutrition with helping her cope with the illness. She served on the board of directors of Dayspring Institute, which helps people with chronic illness or pain. Her husband, George, predeceased her. She is survived by her son, David; her sister, Lois Witham Phrainen; a brother, Kenneth Witham; her “self-adopted” daughter, Anne Baker; and one grandchild.


Howard L. Baker, Feb. 18, 2004.
Howard Baker, an economics major in college, worked in sales of industrial paper products. He and his wife, Lucile Davis Baker ’43, lived in Braintree after he left the military after World War II. He was a naval aviator and retired from the Navy as a lieutenant commander. He remained active in the Reserve Officers Assn. and the Retired Officers Assn. He served as a trustee and moderator of the First Congregational Church in Braintree, as chair of the finance committee and a board member for the Massachusetts Conference of the United Church of Christ, and as town finance chairman and a town meeting member in Braintree. Along with classmate Web Jackson and his wife, Gina, they formed the Jackson-Baker Touring Club, vacationing together in various locations. He was the second of four generations of his family at Bates. He served his class as president, class agent, and Reunion committee member. Besides his wife, he is survived by his two sons, David ’70 and Andrew; two brothers, Lawrence and Wesley ’50; and three grandchildren. His daughter-in-law is Bates faculty member Pamela Decker Baker ’69; his grand-nephew is Kevin Lee Carpenter ’02.

Richard Fee, March 3, 2004.
Dick Fee left Bates after two years to serve as a pilot in the Army Air Corps. He was a flight instructor and a base air inspector at Avenger Field, home of the WASPs, where he became a friend of Jacqueline Cochran, founder of the WASPs. He received a diploma from the USA Command and General Staff College and another from the Air Staff School of the U.S. Air Force in air tactics. He left active duty in 1946, but became a major in the Reserves. He married his high school sweetheart, the late Lila Peterson Fee. He co-founded George H. Peterson Co., a heating and plumbing company, in 1947 with his father-in-law, and served as its president from 1961 until his retirement in 1984. He credited Bates with giving him “the ability to think and research.” He served as a director of the former Quincy (Mass.) Savings Bank, and on the board of directors of the Salvation Army and the YMCA in Quincy. His brother was the late William Fee ’46. He is survived by his children, Richard Jr. and Kristan Munson; and his brother Robert. Another brother, Thomas, predeceased him.

Freeman Rawson, Dec. 24, 2003.
Freeman Rawson was a debater at Bates, and was president of the debating council as a senior. His degree was in psychology, and he was awarded a Phi Beta Kappa key. After graduation, he earned a medical degree from Johns Hopkins Medical School in 1946 and served as a captain in the Army Medical Corps in Japan, and in the U.S. Public Health Service. He entered private practice in Knoxville, Tenn., in 1955, and he eventually specialized in cardiology. He retired from private practice in 1990 and became a professor in the department of medicine of the Univ. of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine in Knoxville, where he served until ill health forced his retirement in April 2002. He was a founding member of the Knoxville Cardiovascular Group, and past chief of staff at the university medical center. He served the East Tennessee Heart Assn. and the Knoxville Society of Internal Medicine as president. He was married for 60 years to Patricia Harwood Peterson Rawson ’43. In addition to his wife, he is survived by four children, William, Freeman III, Andrew, and Jane McCurdy; his sister Jane Rawson Tompkins ’45; and seven grandchildren.

H. Alexander Williams, Dec. 10, 2003.
H. Alexander Williams received a B.S. in chemistry and, after several years in the Navy, worked for 32 years for Rohm & Haas in its plastics department. At Bates, he played in the band and was active in the Lawrance Chemical Society. He is survived by his wife, Jane, and two children, Sandra and Brian.

Clifford Willy, Jan. 14, 2004.
A math major, Cliff Willy left Bates to join the Navy as an aviator. He eventually retired from the Naval Reserves as a lieutenant commander. He was an enthusiastic sailor, and especially enjoyed working with young sailors. He founded Top-Qual Tool Company in 1976; previously, he worked for Caterpillar Tractors and Perkins Machine Co. He is survived by his wife, Helen Sweetsir Willy ’43; sons Clifford Jr., John, and Scott; daughter Jean; brother Donald; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Rita Silvia Kavanaugh, Feb. 27, 2004.
Rita Silvia Kavanaugh wrote of her years at Bates, “I arrived as a rather narrow-minded freshman. I like to think that in four years I came to appreciate myriad conflicting ideas and values garnered from all the enlightened minds down through the centuries from all civilizations, cultures, religions, and peoples.” Most of her career was in teaching. She taught in South Paris and Farmington in Maine; in Lancaster and Buffalo, N.Y.; and in Alexandria, Va. She retired in 1991. She also worked as an editor for Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. While in Buffalo, she was one of 13 teachers selected for a federal project that taught human relations techniques in Buffalo and its suburbs. She received a master’s in elementary education cum laude from Buffalo State Univ. in 1966, and a master’s in reading from SUNY-Buffalo in 1976. While at Bates, she was editor of The Student and president of the Newman Club. She graduated with a degree in English and a Phi Beta Kappa key. Her husband, Jack M. Kavanaugh ’43, died in 1980. She is survived by her son, Mark, and his family.


Vaughan Hathaway, Dec. 8, 2003.
Vaughan Hathaway spent three years with the 20th Armored Division during World War II, which delayed him from receiving his degree in history and government until 1947. He went on to earn a master’s in education from UMaine-Orono. He was especially interested in Civil War history, and taught history in Cooperstown, N.Y., and Boothbay Harbor. He served as principal in Boothbay Harbor for 16 years, retiring in 1975. He was a skilled baker, and thought nothing of whipping up 26 dozen rolls for a public supper. He was an active member of the Maine Principals Assn. and past president of the Boothbay Harbor Rotary Club. He was active in the Masons and served his church as superintendent of the Sunday school and secretary of the trustees. He is survived by his wife, June Chatto Hathaway ’45; sons Douglas Hathaway, Arthur Hathaway, and David Calvo; and three grandchildren. His niece, Evelyn Hathaway Horton, is a member of the Class of 1965.

Harold McGlory, Oct. 14, 2003.
Harold McGlory attended Bates on a scholarship with an eye on playing football, but left to serve in the Marines during World War II. He expected to play trombone in its bands, but saw action in Peleliu and Okinawa. Following the war, he worked as a sales representative for Shell Oil Co. and later for Coyne Laundry Service. He was also a sales manager for Standard Management Corp. in Manchester, N.H. His wife, Blanche Kennedy McGlory ’45, survives him, as do his son, Alan; a brother, Clifton; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. His daughter, Cheryl DeBarger, predeceased him.

Ruth Swirsky Fentin, Feb. 18, 2004.
Immediately following graduation, Ruth put her degree in sociology and psychology to use as a social worker with the Red Cross in Salem, Mass. She devoted much of her life to her family, and was active in the PTA at the state level in Delaware. She also worked briefly as a marketing research interviewer. She is survived by her husband, Arthur; her children, Carolyn Per, Laura Duvall, and Richard Fentin; and 11 grandchildren.


Charlotte Bridgham Wallace, Jan. 8, 2004.
Charlotte Bridgham Wallace was a teacher, a writer, and a historian. She earned an A.B. in religion from Bates and a master’s in education from Springfield College in 1961. She taught second grade in the Springfield schools for 10 years, and then in the Falmouth, Maine, schools for another 9 years, until health problems forced her retirement in 1979. She was known for her hands-on approach to teaching, such as making candles in class when studying the Pilgrims. She created a curriculum on local history, which eventually was adopted by the entire school system. This work led to her first book, called E Pluribus Unum: A Story of Falmouth, Maine. A writer since she was 7, she had a column in the Falmouth Forecaster for several years. She also wrote her memoirs, a cookbook, and a history of Yankee expressions called Picturesque Speech: How the Old Folks Said It. She is survived by her husband, Donald; her children, Eric Woodard, Diane Woodard Dynia, and Linda Woodard; her stepdaughters, Marcella Brown and Rebekah McDonald; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Joan Thompson Collins, Feb. 14, 2004.

Joan Thompson College was the Ivy Day speaker for her class. She graduated with a bachelor’s in psychology, and worked for many years as the business manager of a home health agency in Littleton, N.H. She left that work in 1987 to work part time for her husband’s investment company. Her husband, Howard Collins ’46, predeceased her. She is survived by her daughters, Susan Collins Lloyd-Rees ’81 and Anne Mayer; her son, John Collins; and five grandchildren. Another son, Paul, died in 1980.


Joseph S. Mitchell, Jan. 14, 2004.
Judge Joseph Mitchell had a stormy career on the bench. Even his appointment was controversial; the executive council of the Massachusetts governor’s office split 4-4, meaning that Lt. Gov. Elliot Richardson had to cast the tie-breaking vote. The dispute concerned hospital rates for people on welfare, which were regulated by his boss, the commissioner of administration. Prior to his work for the Commonwealth, he was an assistant U.S. attorney for three years, and was the first black professional to work for the SEC. On the bench, he was the first to rule on the 1967 Racial Imbalance Law, a ruling that led to Boston’s infamous busing era. In 1969, he ruled that welfare recipients were entitled to free legal aid at welfare hearings. He raised hackles when he announced that he didn’t believe in tough sentences. “You’re losing the game if you don’t try to reintegrate people back into society,” he said. In 1971, he spoke at Boston Univ., from which he received his law degree, about the injustice he saw in the legal system: “We do not have equal justice under the law in this country,” he said. The law for the rich is different than that for the poor, and the law for blacks “most times is far different” than for whites. “It is not surprising that most blacks in America have no respect for the law that has no respect for them.” He was threatened with recall when, in 1981, he released a prison inmate after he served nine years of a 36-40 year sentence for shooting and seriously wounding two police officers in Spencer, Mass. (The man was returned to jail after a few months on handgun, drug, and car theft charges.) The biggest controversy, however, came in 1989, when he claimed that Breathalyzer tests were rigged by the police, after he was stopped on suspicion of drunk driving. Although acquitted on those charges, he was found guilty of driving on the wrong side of the street and required to apologize for his remarks about the Breathalyzer. The lingering controversy forced his retirement in 1992. His experiences in the Army during World War II were, he said, his first real taste of racism, when he served in an all-black unit with white officers. He was a trustee at Boston Univ., and served on the boards of Freedom House, Crispus Attucks Children’s Center, and the Boston Legal Aid Society. He also served the College as a Trustee from 1969 to 1974, and again from 1975 to 1994. Judge Mitchell leaves his wife, Doris; two sons, Joseph and Michael; a daughter, Marcene Broadwater; a sister, Laura Holland; and four grandchildren.

Leonard Seaman, March 4, 2004.
Len Seaman attended Bates for one year. He was a veteran of the Army Air Corps. He co-founded EbLens Stores with Eb Glooskin in 1949 and retired as CEO with 21 of the clothing and footwear stores throughout southern New England. He also founded RLS Realty. He had a large collection of pre-World War II movies, a lifelong interest of his. He was a member of the West Hartford Regents, an organization of retired and semi-retired men in the area, as well as a past president of Temple Sinai’s Men’s Club. He leaves his wife, Laura; two sons, Robert and Richard; a brother, Larry; and seven grandchildren.

Robert L. Vachon, Jan. 14, 2004.
Robert Vachon was the first student recruited when St. Dominic’s High School was being formed. He went on to become valedictorian of the first graduating class, and returned as its keynote speaker at its 50th anniversary banquet. He supplemented his bachelor’s in economics with a master’s from Boston College in 1951, and later studied at Harvard and Boston Univ. He was a professor at Boston College and owned a photo service in Lewiston for 14 years. He then moved to Montreal, where he founded the Christie Group and was president of St.-Michel Hospital, director of the Ste.-Justine Hospital and Foundation, governor of the school of business administration at the Univ. of Sherbrooke, director of the research fund of the Cardiology Institute of Montreal, and chairman of the board of the Quebec Society of Petroleum Initiatives. He was also a trustee of the Roy Fund Income Trust and Equity Ltd. and a member of the Chemical Sector Consultative Committee. He is survived by his wife, Marcelle Colpron; his sons, Robert and Michel; his daughter, Diane Gareau; and eight grandchildren. His brother was Alfred Vachon ’44.


Robert H. Farris, Sept. 23, 2003.
Robert Farris attended Bates for two years before joining the Air Force. He graduated from OCS with a commission and served for 27 years, including two tours in Vietnam. In 1974, he earned a Ph.D. from Notre Dame. He then worked for several years for the Maine Dept. of Transportation. He is survived by his wife, Marilyn, his childhood sweetheart whom he married in 2001, and two sisters, Hazel Schoonover and Helen Hadley. Two sons, Robert Melville and James Alan Farris, predeceased him.

Blaine Wiley, March 3, 2004.
Blaine Wiley was a biology major whose career was at Warner Lambert. He managed its government programs and later was the manager of sales administration until his retirement in 1990. He played softball until 2001 (in the over-70 league) and was a scuba diver. He is survived by his wife, Novella, and their children, Karen and Blaine.


Betsy White Cook, April 17, 2004.
Betsy White Cook attended Bates for one year before transferring to Bay Path Junior College. She was a champion bowler and an expert gardener. She and her husband, Jack Frederick Cook, built their home from trees on their lot. Her husband died three days after she did. She is survived by her sons, Paul and David; five grandchildren; and her sister, Martha Whisenant.


Patricia Francis Cholakian, Sept. 27, 2003.
When asked what she did with her leisure time, Patricia Francis Cholakian replied, “I have none.” She was a professor of French literature at Hamilton College for 33 years and was working with her husband, Rouben Cholakian ’54, on a literary biography of Marguerite de Navarre (1492-1549) when she died. She earned a master’s from Middlebury in 1966 and a Ph.D. in French literature from Sorbonne très honorable. In 1976, she was awarded an NEH fellowship and used the time to study classical drama at Berkeley. She and her husband directed Hamilton College’s Junior Year in France program. At Bates, from which she graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a degree in English, she was editor of the Garnet and active in the philosophy group. Her doctoral dissertation, “Rape and Writing in the Heptamèron of Marguerite de Navarre,” was published in 1991. She also wrote a book in “easy English” for language students in France on John F. Kennedy. She edited several scholarly works in French, and published Women and the Politics of Self-Representation in the Seventeenth Century in 2000. She co-authored two books with her husband, The Ivory Tower and The Early French Novella. She is survived by her husband and their daughter, Kathryn; one grandchild; and two sisters, Jody Parker and Bonnie Portero. Another child, Anna, predeceased her.

Edith-Ellen Greene Kimball, April 27, 2004.
Edie-Ellen became fascinated by needlework and became a teacher, designer, and consultant in the field. She held a teacher’s certificate from the American Institute of Textile Arts, and attended the Elsa Williams School of Needlework. Her particular interests were historical needlework and embroidery, and she taught at Strawbery Banke, a section of Portsmouth, N.H., restored to its Colonial roots. She also taught at Colonial Day of the Historical Society of Old Newbury, near her home in Newburyport, Mass., and at AITA’s national textile arts assembly. For the past 10 years, she was the proprietor of Ratty’s Bijoux, a knitting and needlework shop. She also designed and created a memorial garden at her church in Newburyport; both she and her husband, Lawrence Kimball Jr. ’52 are buried there. She and her husband came from long-standing Bates families. Her father was C. Owen Greene ’21; her husband’s parents were Lawrence D. Kimball ’21 and Beatrice Milliken Stiles ’28. His aunt was Nelly Milliken Wade ’32, whose son is Trustee Emeritus Robert G. Wade ’50. The Milliken family has been associated with Bates since it was founded. Edie-Ellen’s uncles were Robert Greene ’16 and Victor Greene ’19. Her aunt was Marion Greene ’15. She is survived by her three children, Catherine Milliken Kimball ’80, Dustin Kimball III ’83, and Elizabeth Kimball Williams ’88; and nine grandchildren. Her cousins are Robert Greene Jr. ’51 and Meredith Greene Edinger ’56.


Donald Gagnon, May 19, 1993.
Donald Gagnon attended Bates for one year. His death only recently came to the College’s attention.


Fernand H. Hebert Jr., Nov. 12, 2003.
Fernand Hebert was a research and development technician with General Foods Corp until 1993. He is survived by his wife, Claudette Lajoie Hebert; his children, Daniel and Linda Hogancamp; a sister, Lonita Couture; and two grandchildren.


Fleurange Jacques, July 24, 2003.
Fleurange Jacques sat on both sides of the table at Bates. For over 20 years, she was secretary to Jack Annett, the trusted assistant to President Phillips. During that time, she earned an A.B. in history, graduating cum laude with membership in Phi Beta Kappa. She had a special interest in New England Southern Colonial communities of the 17th and 18th centuries, and continued her studies at the Univ. of New Hampshire. There, she received The Newcomen Society in North America’s Award in Material History in 1971, and was the highest ranked graduate student in the department. Her sister, Rena Jacques, who survives her, was secretary to President Phillips for many years.


Eleanor Stahura LaMarre, Oct. 25, 2001.
Eleanor Stahura LaMarre earned a bachelor’s degree from Southeastern Massachusetts Univ. after leaving Bates. Her father, Walter Stahura ’28, received a Distinguished Service citation from the College in 1965.


Anne Rodgers, Jan. 27, 2004.
Anne Rodgers taught English at the high school in South Paris and at a junior high school in East Brunswick, N.J., for many years before becoming a secretary for the East Brunswick Education Assn. several years ago. She was active in educational associations at the local, county, state, and national levels. She studied Shakespeare at the Univ. of Bridgeport and library science at Trenton State. Her mother, Ruth Springer Rodgers, is a member of the Class of 1937, as was her late father, Walter. Her brother is Walter Rodgers ’71.


Allan Hartwell, Sept. 10, 2003.
Allen Hartwell, a geology major, earned a master’s in sedimentology and oceanography from the Univ. of Massachusetts in 1970. He served in the Corps of Engineers at the Cold Regions Lab in Hanover, N.H., for several years. He conducted environmental studies for the Seabrook nuclear plant when it was being designed, and developed a prototype of digital instrumentation that led to more efficient data collection. Later in his career, he worked for GTE Government Systems, where he was the program manager for the development of software for the Air Force, which would upgrade command and control safety worldwide. Following that, he worked at Hanscom Air Force Base as a civilian financial specialist. He lectured on oceanography at the Isles of Shoals Marine Lab and published numerous articles in professional journals. He dealt with the stress of his work by chopping firewood, which he used to heat his environmentally sound house. He is survived by his parents, David and Nina Hartwell; his wife, Janice; his children, Kimberly and Douglas; and a brother.


Susan J. Wanbaugh, Feb. 13, 2004.
Susan Wanbaugh started acting as a child, and studied the art her entire life. Her first performance was at a Lions Club program in Presque Isle, where she grew up. As a high school student, she was named best actress in northern Maine high schools, and even landed a coveted role while an intern at a summer stock playhouse. As a first-year student at Bates, she had the leading role in three plays. She earned money for college by competing in beauty contests. She entered a contest in Presque Isle as a lark, and was stunned when she won. Soon she was named Miss Potato Blossom by the Maine Potato Council, and finally was named Miss Maine and competed in the Miss America pageant in 1976. For her talent, she performed a monologue from Shakespeare’s As You Like It. She always faced the question of the role of beauty pageants in the heyday of the women’s liberation movement, and always answered with good grace that she was for equal opportunity, “but I am also for the right to make a choice.” At Bates, she was a Dean’s List student and a Dana Scholar. She spent her junior year in London studying speech and theater with English performers, directors, and producers. After graduation, she studied communications and marketing at Boston Univ. From 1979 to 1981, she was the marketing director for the Maine Publicity Bureau. She then became the marketing director for the Bangor Mall, advertising director for the DeOrsey stores, and finally the publishing coordinator for a firm that served hospitals and home-health agencies nationwide. She received the Brody Award for the excellence in advertising. She is survived by her mother, Carol Wanbaugh, and her stepfather, John Corsa.


Andrew Braisted, Oct. 4, 2003.
Andrew Braisted earned a doctorate degree in organic chemistry from the Univ. of California at Berkeley. He went on to found Sunesis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., where he specialized in the discovery of small molecule drugs. He developed Sunesis’ core technology, which he named Tethering, a method of identifying protein fragments that can bind to each other; these promising drug fragments are then advanced swiftly through medicinal chemistry to develop drugs to treat conditions such as damage from heart attacks and graft reduction. He is survived by his wife, Joelle Morrow, M.D., and their infant son (born after his death); his parents, Gayl and Charles Braisted; and his sisters, Christina Braisted Rogers and Melissa Braisted.

Joanna Skilogianis, May 7, 2004.
Joanna Skilogianis traveled the world following graduation, and then went to grad school to continue her studies in medical anthropology. She set herself on this path while at Bates: she spent the spring semester of her junior year in Greece, and wrote an honors thesis on the sociocultural factors of abortion in that country. A dean’s list student, her interdisciplinary degree was in biology and anthropology, with a secondary in French. Her master’s degree (1992) and her doctorate (1998) came from Case Western Reserve University. She won a Fulbright scholarship and spent 1994-1995 in Athens. After completing her education, she worked at the National Center for Health Statistics and was a project manager at the time of her death. She was candid, thoughtful, and fully devoted to the people in her life. At her memorial service longtime friend Sarah Wayland recalled an e-mail exchange with Joanna after Wayland’s son was diagnosed with a language delay. “I had written, ‘It is hard to hear that your child is not perfect.’ [Joanna] was having none of that! She wrote, ‘Hey! Listen here: I will not have you saying anything about your…boy not being perfect. He is perfect and he’s yours and that’s what matters most. Lose the societal view of perfect; it can only damage you, OK?’ She went on, and in her usual fashion said exactly what needed to be said in a compassionate and loving note…. In short, she said exactly what I needed to hear.” Joanna is survived by her husband, Doug Desjardins; her sons, Alexander and Constantine; her parents, Milton and Demetra Skilogianis; her sister, Catherine; and her brother George. Her husband has established an endowed scholarship at Bates in her name.


Thomas Airone, Oct. 23, 2003.
Thomas J. “Snapper” Airone died of a heart attack while playing basketball in his grade school gym with several lifelong friends. He was an attorney in New Haven, Conn., having earned a law degree from Quinnipiac Univ. Law School in 1995. In December 2002, Tom eloped to the Caribbean and married Jennifer Hayden. Only seven weeks prior to his passing he had formed his own law firm with Roger Callistro. Tom is survived by his wife; his mother, Susan Sutherland Small; his brother, Peter; and his step-sister Cathleen Kareliussen.


John-Henry Williams, March 8, 2004.
John-Henry Williams attended Bates for three semesters and graduated from UMaine-Orono in 1991. When he applied to Bates, he listed his father’s occupation as “actor” — which indeed he was, the star of commercials for Nissen Bread that ran in Maine. He was also baseball great Ted Williams. Although he grew up largely separated from his dad, he did wrangle a spot as an honorary bat boy at the first Red Sox Old-timers game. As an adult, John-Henry became close to his dad, which doctors credited with extending his father’s life. Red Sox legend Johnny Pesky said John-Henry was his father’s “pride and joy.” Inspired by their new relationship, John-Henry and Ted worked on the son’s baseball skills, and he eventually managed to sign a professional contract with the Selma Cloverleafs. He officially had one hit as a pro ball player. He cared for his father as his health declined, and made the controversial decision to have his father’s body cryogenically frozen, a decision his older sister fought. John-Henry died of leukemia, the same disease that killed Ted’s brother at the age of 39, and one of the diseases his father worked to cure through his long association with The Jimmy Fund. John-Henry is survived by his mother, Dolores; his sister, Claudia Williams; and his half-sister, Bobbie-Jo Ferrell, who has vowed to renew her efforts to cremate her father’s remains.


Harold Hickey, Dec. 27, 2003.
Harold Hickey earned a master’s degree from Bates in 1948. His 1936 undergraduate degree was from Colby, where he earned Phi Beta Kappa honors. He served in World War II as a gunnery officer in the Navy. He made five Atlantic crossings and served in the European, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern theaters, and won a battle star. From 1946 to 1961, he and his wife, Virginia, operated the Jordan Pond House near Acadia National Park, known for its tea time and warm popovers. In 1961, he joined the faculty of Broome Community College in Binghamton, N.Y., and retired as dean of liberal arts and sciences in 1975. He is survived by his wife; his son, Peter; two grandchildren; and two sisters, Dolores Blanchard and Elizabeth Blanchard.

Former Faculty

Evelyn Kathryn Dillon, Nov. 12, 2003.
Evelyn Dillon came to Bates in 1961 as professor of physical education for women after a successful career at Texas Women’s University and Wellesley College. She was one of three in a department that some considered overstaffed at the time. In 1974 she became one of two associate directors of physical education. In between, she devoted much of her time to widening the opportunities for women at Bates. She spent a sabbatical researching how P.E. requirements were handled at other colleges. She held national ratings in field hockey, basketball, and swimming. She was a nationally ranked judge in swimming, and wrote a number of articles and two books on swimming, diving, and synchronized swimming. Her Ph.D. thesis was entitled, “A Study of the Use of Music as an Aid in Teaching Swimming.” She received her doctorate from the State University of Iowa (1950), a master’s from Kent State (1942), and a bachelor’s from Ohio State (1932). She was also a camp counselor and director, and campaigned unsuccessfully to establish a course in camp counseling at Bates. She is survived by her sister, Marion Munn; her niece Margaret Dan; and her friend, Eleanore Hudgeon.

Richard W. Sampson, April 1, 2004.
Students knew to pay close attention to Dick Sampson, professor of mathematics — daydreamers might get an eraser tossed their way. Those paying attention also knew how Sampson inspired his students with passionate teaching and an interest in their lives outside the classroom. He earned his B.S. at Bowdoin in 1944, studied at MIT, and earned his Ed.M. at Tufts in 1947. Through 1950 he taught at the Franklin Institute of Technology in Boston, following up the experience with an M.A. in mathematics at Boston Univ. in 1951. Until 1951, when he was appointed at Bates, he taught at The New Preparatory School in Cambridge, Mass. At Bates, he was the faculty advisor to the Outing Club for 25 years and worked to ensure that students powered the club and controlled their budget; he also encouraged his students to be active in the surrounding community. David Haines, mathematics professor and department chair, remembers his colleague and friend this way: “Students told colorful stories about Sampson’s classroom behavior: throwing chalk and erasers at sleeping students, screaming ‘Damn!’ when he got stuck on a calculus problem, and sketching absurdly complicated pictures as he explained the connection between projective geometry and art. He filled his classes with his own stories. He told one about using the mean value theorem when he was an Air Force meteorologist in the jungles of British Guyana during World War II. His job was to calculate the average temperature over the last 24 hours, which he did by cutting along the temperature recorded by a pen on a piece of uniform density paper, then weighing it…. He always had a problem he was working on. He would crash into the office uninvited, throw a problem up on the board and start working on it. Despite my attempts to ignore him, he always succeeded in trapping me into an hour-long session of doing what he knew I enjoyed, mathematics…. Attending mathematics meetings with Richard was a party. Famous mathematicians of his generation greeted him by name. Dick proudly refused to acknowledge those he deemed too arrogant. But he made an effort to befriend the handful of African American mathematicians at that time, and it was through his efforts that the mathematics department was able to hire the first African-American to a Bates tenure-track position….” Richard Sampson is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Stephen Byers Sampson and Elisa Hurley, and three grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife, Jean Byers Sampson, and a son, Caleb Sampson. A memorial service was held for him at the Chapel during Reunion 2004, after which Professor Emeritus of English John Tagliabue wrote of his former colleague: “The Sampson strength in delight, in enjoying himself and our world, pure boyish delight in enjoying his connections with family, his forever admired wife, their adored sons — how pure and innocent that all was.”