Slide show features a 2009 retrospective
• Click the thumbnails to view the slide show above
Through this retrospective slide show, we invite you to look back at some of the major Bates stories, events and achievements of 2009, as published in BatesNews, the College’s monthly e-newsletter to alumni, parents and friends.
Whether showing happy jubilation, pensive reflection or intense competition, the photographs tell about Bates people setting the pace and attending to their friends, communities and world. As skier Sylvan Ellefson ’09 said as he competed at the Bates-hosted NCAA Skiing Championships last winter, “Seeing all my friends and all the people from Bates that were here today really made my day.”
Complementing the slide show are links to a few multimedia pieces about life at Bates in 2009:
- President Elaine Tuttle Hansen’s annual “President for a Day” exchange with student Walter Garcia ’11;
- The 2009 Mount David Summit, the College’s annual celebration of student academic achievement;
- Dedication of and unveiling of the new Bates Bobcat statue made possible by the Class of 2004 and other donors.
- Student-produced video of table dancing at New Commons to spark interest in the 350.org climate-change initiative;
- Kickoff of North American tour of Beautiful Me, first-ever Bates Dance Festival concert held during the academic year;
- Football team’s euphoric rendition of the “Fight Song” after the Bobcats’ victory over Bowdoin at Garcelon Field;
- Portrait of biologist Lee Abrahamsen, the heart behind the College’s medical studies program.
Leave a Reply
This is a forum for sharing your thoughts about the preceding post with the public. If you have a question for the author, please email the Bates Communications Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.