Announcement of Vice President for Equity and Inclusion 

Dear Members of the Bates Community,

I write to share the news that Leana E. Amáez, a seasoned equity and inclusion leader and longtime advocate for underrepresented populations, will become our vice president for equity and inclusion, effective Feb. 27, 2023.

To read more about Leana’s appointment, please see this Bates News story.

I am thrilled to welcome Leana to Bates to lead our work in equity and inclusion — work that is central to our mission and to the success and well-being of every member of our community. Leana comes to this role with 15 years of experience in equity and inclusion work across a range of organizations, and she brings first-hand knowledge of life and work in a residential liberal arts college. She is known for a leadership style that combines strategy, structure, and relationship building, qualities that will be invaluable as we continue to strive for sustainable progress toward greater equity and inclusiveness at Bates. 

During her visit to campus, Leana impressed every audience with her commitment to equity and inclusion work, her depth of experience, and the thoughtful way she approached conversations about the VPEI role at Bates. I am excited that she will be joining our community and look forward to working with her in the months ahead.

Leana’s appointment follows a national search overseen by a committee that included faculty, staff, and a student, with assistance from WittKieffer, a firm with expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion searches. I want to thank everyone who served on the search committee for their diligence and commitment to the work, with particular thanks to Allen Delong, senior associate dean for Purposeful Work, who served as chair. I am also deeply grateful to the many of you across campus who made time to meet with or hear from the candidates and to share your feedback with the search committee.

Please join me in welcoming Leana as she takes on this important role.

All my best,

Clayton