The Department of Hispanic Studies has the following learning goals for its majors and minors:
- to understand spoken and written Spanish in a variety of linguistic registers and social contexts;
- to communicate in Spanish orally in real-life situations and in interpersonal contexts;
- to demonstrate presentation skills in Spanish, effectively discussing orally and in writing complex topics related to fields of academic study;
- to display interpretative skills in Spanish (reading, viewing, and listening), engaging critically a broad range of cultural productions originating in the Spanish-speaking world;
- to be conversant with Latin American, Spanish, and U.S. Latino literatures, media, and visual arts, across historical periods, applying diverse theoretical approaches to the study of the Spanish-speaking world.