Off Campus Study
The mission of the Department of Hispanic Studies is to provide students with the interpretative skills and contextual knowledge, as well as linguistic competencies necessary to engage in international and intercultural learning and to promote understanding of self and others through contact with diverse cultural and linguistic communities of the Spanish-speaking world.
As a complement to on-campus courses in language, culture and literature, the Department of Hispanic Studies encourages majors and minors to study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country for a semester or a full academic year. Off-campus academic programs, whether offered at a foreign university or a private institution, oblige students to use Spanish on a daily basis and expose them to diverse teaching methodologies and new perspectives, and also provide opportunities for internships and independent projects tailored to students’ interest.
In addition to Bates Off-Campus Study Office staff, students must also seek the guidance of their Hispanic Studies major or minor advisor when selecting a program and designing a course of study abroad.
As a rule of thumb, in order for courses taken abroad to count towards the Hispanic Studies major and minor, they must be within the areas of language, literature, film, and culture.
- Majors may receive a maximum of three credits for one semester and five for two semesters of study in a recommended off-campus program.
- Minors may receive a maximum of two credits for one semester and three for two semesters off-campus.
The Department of Spanish recommends the following programs based on their record of providing rigorous, well-structured, and meaningful experiences that meet the mission and goals of the Spanish program. Majors are discouraged from enrolling in SIT Study Abroad Programs in Latin American, and minors are recommended to do so only after prior consultation with their Spanish advisor and may receive a limited number of credits.
- Buenos Aires: The IFSA-Butler universities program
- Mendoza: The IFSA-Butler program at the Universidad Nacional de Cuyo
- Concepcion: The Middlebury program at the Universidad de Concepcion
- La Serena: The Middlebury program at the Universidad de La Serena
- Santiago: The IFSA-Butler universities based program
- Santiago: The Middlebury program at universities in Santiago
- Valdivia: The Middlebury program at the Universidad Austral de Chile
- Valparaiso: The IFSA-Butler universities based program
- Valparaiso: The Middlebury program at universities in Valparaiso
- Cumbaya: The IES program at the University of San Francisco
- Quito: The IES program at Pontificia Universidad Catolica