Library COVID-19 Response
Last Updated: March 30, 2020
In accordance with campus policy, Ladd Library and Muskie Archives are closed to patrons until further notice.
- It is recommended by the National Institutes of Health that people stay at home as much as possible.
- Borrowing of physical items from Colby, Bowdoin, MaineCat and Interlibrary Loan is suspended until further notice.
- On-campus students, faculty, and staff: if you need a Bates-owned item and can pick it up on campus, please request at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will pull these items, check them out on your account, and send you a notification via email. They will then be available for pick up in the Ladd vestibule at any time. Turnaround times may vary. We appreciate your patience.
- Items currently on hold for faculty and staff will be available for pick up in the Ladd vestibule upon request.
Chapter and Article Content
- Off-campus students, faculty, and staff: If you need access to a book or article that is available only in print or microfilm at Bates College, you may request a scanned copy via our Interlibrary Loan Photocopy Form (left-hand menu when you log in).
- Please request as narrow a range of pages as possible; for example, request specific chapters of books instead of entire books.
- Use the notes field in the Photocopy Form to provide information about your specific need (thesis, final assignment, or other).
- Requests will be considered on a case by case basis and are anticipated to take approximately one week to fill.
We know that many students rely on course reserves. We have a plan to make them accessible, but we are relying on instructors to help us prioritize our work. If you are a student and you don’t know how to access your course reserves, please ask your professor to contact the library and we will work with them. In addition, some online textbooks companies have temporarily made their textbooks free online with registration:
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service is available for loaning and borrowing of electronic materials only, contingent upon staffing at partner institutions. Use our Interlibrary Loan portal to make your request. We will review your request as soon as we are able.
Do not worry about book due dates! All due dates on Bates, Bowdoin, Colby books will be extended until September 1, 2020. ILL and MaineCat items will also be extended.
Seniors can return books by mail:
Ladd Library Bates College
48 Campus Ave
Lewiston, ME 04240
If you are on campus and want to return an item, there are two book drops:
- Inside the vestibule in front of the main doors
- Outside the shipping door, facing Hedge
The librarians in Research Services will be available for help via chat and video. Reach out from the “Get Help” box on the library homepage or email your subject specialist for a one-on-one appointment. We will be online for live help the following hours:
- Monday-Friday: 10:00 am-5:00 pm EDT
- Sunday: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm EDT
Evening times are available by appointment with a subject specialist.
Other services housed in Ladd Library have their own policies. Please consult their websites:
Access to the physical government documents collections of the Federal Government Document Program is not available. For online sources, please see regional depository at University of Maine, Orono, Fogler Library.