Library COVID-19 Response
Last Updated: August 24, 2020
Ladd Library will be open only to Bates students, faculty, and staff via card access for the Fall Semester, beginning August 29, 2020. The Muskie Archives and Special Collections is open by appointment only.
+Access to Physical Materials: How to request books for pick up or book chapters for electronic delivery.
Beginning August 29, the Ladd Library bookstacks will be open to Bates students, faculty, and staff to retrieve and check out books. Books may also be paged using the CBB Request button in CBBcat for pick up at the Circulation Desk. Audio and video materials will only be available by request through the CBBcat.
- For CBB Library books: In CBBcat, click on the CBB Request link as in the past.
- You will choose which library the item will come from. Select the Bates copy first if available; if not, you can request from Colby or Bowdoin.
- For MaineCat books from libraries throughout Maine: see these instructions for requesting within CBBcat.
You will receive an email when the book is available for pick up at the Circulation Desk. Turnaround times may vary. We appreciate your patience.
Chapter and Article Content
- Off-campus students, faculty, and staff: If you need access to a book chapter or article that is available only in print or microfilm at Bates College, you may request a scanned copy via our Interlibrary Loan Photocopy Form (left-hand menu when you log in).
- Please request as narrow a range of pages as possible.
- Use the notes field in the Photocopy Form to provide information about your specific need (thesis, final assignment, or other).
- Requests will be considered on a case by case basis and are anticipated to take approximately one week to fill.
We are committed to providing course reserves this fall semester, and will make them available electronically for all students. There will be no physical course reserves. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
See our Winter 2021 Faculty Library Support page for alternate strategies and resources.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service is available for loaning and borrowing of electronic materials, contingent upon staffing at partner institutions. We are starting to be able to fill more requests for print materials as well, but we ask for your patience as these services are still limited. Use our Interlibrary Loan portal to make your request. We will review it as soon as we are able, and attempt to fill it as we are able.
Please do not return any material to the service desks.
There are two book drops at the library.
- The first is located at the front entrance, in the glass wall just to the left of the doors. It is accessible from both inside the building and in the foyer.
- The second book drop is located outside at our shipping/receiving door (facing Hedge and Roger Willams).
Books checked out before March 2020 have had their due dates extended to September 1, 2020. Outstanding books may be returned to the library book drops, by library or media mail:
Ladd Library Bates College
48 Campus Ave
Lewiston, ME 04240
Contact Brenda Reynolds (email@example.com) for assistance.
The librarians in Research Services will be available for help via chat and video. Reach out from the “Get Help” box on the library homepage or email your subject specialist for a one-on-one appointment.
Evening times are available by appointment with a subject specialist.
Other services housed in Ladd Library have their own policies. Please consult their websites:
Access to the physical government documents collections of the Federal Government Document Program is not available. For online sources, please see regional depository at University of Maine, Orono, Fogler Library.