Library COVID-19 Response
Last Updated: June 18, 2020
In accordance with campus policy, Ladd Library and Muskie Archives are closed to patrons until further notice.
It is recommended by the National Institutes of Health that people stay at home as much as possible.
On-campus students, faculty, and staff: Books from Bates and Bowdoin Libraries can be requested for pick up in the library vestibule.
- In CBBcat, just click on the CBB Request link as in the past.
- Now you will have the ability to choose which library the item will come from. Select the Bates copy if available; if not, you can now request the Bowdoin copy. (Colby College books are currently unavailable.)
- When the book has arrived, it will be put in the library vestibule for pick up. Though deliveries are twice weekly, turnaround times may vary. We appreciate your patience.
Borrowing of physical items from Colby, MaineCat and Interlibrary Loan is suspended until further notice.
Chapter and Article Content
- Off-campus students, faculty, and staff: If you need access to a book chapter or article that is available only in print or microfilm at Bates College, you may request a scanned copy via our Interlibrary Loan Photocopy Form (left-hand menu when you log in).
- Please request as narrow a range of pages as possible.
- Use the notes field in the Photocopy Form to provide information about your specific need (thesis, final assignment, or other).
- Requests will be considered on a case by case basis and are anticipated to take approximately one week to fill.
We are reviewing policy, procedures, and budget for our Fall course reserves program and will update this page as we have more information. See our Fall 2020 Faculty Library Support page for alternate strategies and resources.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service is available for loaning and borrowing of electronic materials only, contingent upon staffing at partner institutions. Use our Interlibrary Loan portal to make your request. We will review your request as soon as we are able.
Do not worry about book due dates! All due dates on Bates, Bowdoin, Colby books will be extended until September 1, 2020. ILL and MaineCat items will also be extended.
Seniors can return books by library or media mail:
Ladd Library Bates College
48 Campus Ave
Lewiston, ME 04240
Contact Brenda Reynolds (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
If you are on campus and want to return an item, there are two book drops:
- Inside the vestibule in front of the main doors
- Outside the shipping door, facing Hedge
The librarians in Research Services will be available for help via chat and video. Reach out from the “Get Help” box on the library homepage or email your subject specialist for a one-on-one appointment. We will be online for live help the following hours:
- Monday-Friday: 1:00-4:00 pm EDT
Evening times are available by appointment with a subject specialist.
Other services housed in Ladd Library have their own policies. Please consult their websites:
Access to the physical government documents collections of the Federal Government Document Program is not available. For online sources, please see regional depository at University of Maine, Orono, Fogler Library.