Bates logos and wordmark files for Posters in EPS and PNG format
Bates logos, or wordmarks, are available for download in EPS (for print) and PNG (for digital) formats. EPS is a vector format, you may scale the logos to any size you may require. Follow this link https://www.bates.edu/communications/design-services-1/downloads/
1) Poster size: must be horizontally oriented (landscape) and 48 inches wide by 36 inches high.
2) Credits: Remember to put your name (and any co-authors) on the front of your poster! Putting your discipline and your advisor’s name isn’t a bad idea either…
3) Printing deadline: If you are having your poster printed by Post & Print on a wide-format printer, your poster must be submitted for printing with a 3 day turnaround time. Please call the Print Studio at x6226 if you have special circumstances.
4) File Submission: All files must be submitted electronically via email. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. The maximum file capacity is 25 megs.
5) Naming convention: Please name your poster file with your Bates network username (underscore) your contact phone number with area code, Example: lhenders_7771234.pdf
6) Acceptable file format: Your poster must be submitted as a .PDF file or Post & Print will not open the file. Beware that when you design a poster in InDesign, some fonts and formatting may not render in a PDF when viewed on a different computer. Once you have saved your poster file as a PDF, you should look at it on your own computer to make sure it looks OK.
7) Payment: The cost for printing a 36 x 48 inch poster:
- Bates Students and departments $35.
- All others $60
Payment is due when you pick up your poster at Post & Print. The payment options:
a) If a department, program, or faculty advisor’s grant is paying for your poster, please have the professor or advisor email email@example.com stating that he or she will pay for your poster. You should find out if your department or program will pay for your poster BEFORE you pay for it, as Post & Print will not issue refunds.
b) Late poster submissions (after the deadline) will be charged a $20 late fee on top of the print cost of $35.
c) We accept cash and all major credit cards, cash or check payment at Post & Print. Make checks payable to Bates College.
If you have any questions about poster submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PowerPoint Poster Printing Tips
If you will be creating a poster to print to the HP Z6200ps printer from PowerPoint, please use these guidelines to ensure your poster will print at the appropriate size and quality.
You will need to determine the size of the poster for PowerPoint to work with BEFORE you start adding information to the file. Typically page set-up should be 36 inches by 48 inches.
1) Launch PowerPoint 2016 and select the Design tab and at the far right select under file, select slide size, then select custom size and enter 48 inch wide by 36 inch tall, landscape slide orientation.
2) Leave a 0.5” margin on the poster for printing purposes. Do not insert images flush with the edge of the poster- or they may be cut off.
3) When choosing a background, the best option is to insert an auto shape (square) select a fill color and “send to the back” to function as a background. Remember, while gradients look nice on the screen, they rarely print out as nice. If at all possible, try to avoid gradients or reduced opacity/transparent images.
4) Be sure that your text and image boxes fit their content – you don’t want a box that is too small or too large because the printer “reads” the out limits of the box before it “reads” the content inside.
5) Check your poster for extraneous boxes that may be hidden and delete them. You can do this by using “Select All” to find the unnecessary boxes.
6) For images, use high resolution images and be careful with ‘stretching’ them larger.