About Editorial Style
Style consistency lets the reader concentrate on content without being distracted by variations in spelling and punctuation. Consistent style allows many voices to harmonize across the Bates community and into the world.
- Bates-specific style guidelines (is it Bates’ or Bates’s?)
- General style guidelines (fundraising or fund raising?)
- Names of Bates places (name the three buildings of the Residential Village)
Since these pages can’t possibly address the full range of usage and grammar questions, the Communications office recommends these style guides, available for order through the College Store:
- The Associated Press Stylebook — the primary style guide for the Bates communications
- The Chicago Manual of Style — a complement to the AP guide most useful for questions around type treatment (italics for publication titles, etc.)
- A Dictionary of Modern American Usage — for all your grammar questions
We encourage suggestions for other topics to address on these pages.