Bates Athletics welcomes local youth for L/A Community Day
Bates Athletics hosts L/A Community Day on Saturday, Oct. 22, in conjunction with several home games — football, men’s soccer, women’s soccer and field hockey, all against Middlebury College.
The college invites all Lewiston and Auburn schoolchildren to these events, involving the local community in the NCAA’s “Take a Kid to the Game” initiative. In addition to the Bobcat athletic contests, there will be youth clinics, campus tours and other fun family activities, as well as Auburn/Lewiston Fly Football games before the Bates football game and at halftime.
All events and activities are free and open to the public. For more information, please contact Kevin McHugh, director of physical education and athletics, at 207-786-6341 or email@example.com.
Additionally, in light of the severe drought affecting the Horn of Africa, L/A Community Day will serve to raise funds for the famine relief effort organized by Atlantic Global Aid (AGA). Bates Athletics has pledged to donate to that relief effort all receipts from the day’s sales of concessions, merchandise and game programs. Bates will also maintain an AGA collection box together with a famine-educational display.
Other L/A Community Day participants currently are Androscoggin Bank Colisée, Revelation Massage, Atlantic Global Aid and Gleason Media.
Local radio station WOXO-FM (92.7 and 100.7) will cover L/A Community Day with a live remote broadcast on site throughout the day.
- 9 a.m. Lacrosse Clinic, Campus Avenue Field
- 9:30 a.m. Baseball Clinic, Leahey Field, Central Avenue
- 10 a.m. Basketball Clinic, Gray Athletic Building, Central Avenue
— All clinics free to boys and girls.
“Take a Kid to the Game”: Bates Contests
- 11 a.m. Field hockey vs. Middlebury, Campus Avenue Field
- 11 a.m. Women’s soccer vs. Middlebury, Russell Street Field
- 1 p.m. Football vs. Middlebury, Garcelon Field, Central Avenue
- Pre-game: Lewiston Fly in-house senior championship game
- Half-time: Auburn junior varsity vs. Lewiston Fly & Auburn varsity vs. Lewiston Fly
- 2 p.m. Men’s soccer vs. Middlebury, Russell Street Field