Maple Shortbread Cookies
Created by Bates College Dining Services
Yields two dozen 2-inch cookies
3/4 cup Maple Butter (recipe below)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon water or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse until they are combined and dough forms a ball. Add more water if necessary.
- Flatten dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill well.
- Roll dough to quarter-inch thickness.
- With cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes.
- Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet until golden brown — 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Yields 3/4 cup
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
- In small saucepan, bring maple syrup to a boil and reduce by half —10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature till cool.
- Add the butter and stir to blend completely.
- Refrigerate until firm.
Made at Dining Services from these local ingredients:
Maple syrup from Jackson’s Sugar House & Vegetable Stand, Oxford
Butter from Pleasant Acres, Livermore Falls
Flour from either Crown of Maine, Madawaska, or Fiddler’s Green Farm, Belfast.