WordPress Upgrade — From 4.6 to 4.8
This morning we upgraded the college’s public WordPress instance from 4.6 to 4.8. We’re now running the most recent version of WordPress, which introduces a few new helpful features.
New Features of 4.8
- New widgets include Image, Video, Audio, and Rich Text. Embedding images/video/audio files in the sidebar no longer requires knowledge of HTML. Similarly, the Rich Text widget allows custom styling and formatting of text through the visual editor.
- Easier editing of menus through Appearance > Customize, including site navigation menus and custom sidebar menus. Pages and posts can now be created through the Customize > Menu screen.
- oEmbed support added for Facebook posts/activities/photos/videos/media/questions/notes, and for Twitter profiles, lists, and likes. Ex. Paste the link of a Facebook post directly into a WordPress page, post, or widget and the Facebook post will automatically embed.
- The Media Library now allows searches by filename.
- “Link boundaries” have been added to links in the Page/Post editor. Now adding text to the beginning and/or end of links is easier than ever.