Vital Stats


Ida Taylor Sperber,
Nov. 9, 2003.
Ida Taylor Sperber knew six of Bates’ seven presidents, and was happy to pronounce Elaine Tuttle Hansen a fine choice when she attended the Hansen inauguration in 2002. Her family moved to Rumford from England when Ida was a small child. Following graduation, she taught English at Morse High School in Bath for several years before marrying Herbert Lemont, who passed away in 1973. In 1974, she married Harry Sperber, who died in 1976. She was president of the Bath Garden Club and a member of the Maine Teachers Assn. She painted pictures of flowers, wrote poetry and short stories, and designed and made Oriental-style rugs and tapestries. She published serialized fiction and poems in newspapers. In her 80s, she wrote a series of poems she called “Songs of the Eighties.” About her poetry, she said, “Occasionally a poem springs to form in my mind, and writing them is a great delight.” When she went to live at a retirement home, she learned to play chess, which became a great joy for her, finding it “such an engrossing and mind-stimulating pastime.” She also dabbled in archeology, and her family made a gift to the College in that field in her honor of her 100th birthday. She is survived by several nieces and nephews.

Gerald H. Dillingham,
Aug. 27, 2003.
Gerald Dillingham was a descendant of the founders of Auburn. His family built the first wood-frame house in the city. He attended Bates for two years, and then Farmington Normal School. He founded Motor Supply Corp. in Augusta in 1937 and was its general manager until he sold the business and retired in 1974. He was an active Shriner and a founding member of the Maine Pilots Assn. He was a past president of the Pleasant Pond Flying Club and a member of the Civil Air Patrol of Augusta. He entered the Army Air Corps in 1942 and fought in six European battles, including action at Omaha Beach and in the Battle of the Bulge, for which he won the Bronze Star. He was one of the original members of the 101st Fighter Group-Maine Air National Guard and was active with Air Force units until he retired in 1967 with the rank of brigadier general. He was a life member of the National Guard Assn. of the United States and a member of the Military Order of World Wars. His first wife, Irene Libby Dillingham, predeceased him, as did daughters Jacqueline Schlier and Nancy Dillingham. His second wife was Eleanor Rowe Dillingham; she too predeceased him. He is survived by his daughter, Cheryl Lee Beyeler, and five grandchildren.

Wilder Kimball,
Oct. 25, 2003.
Wilder Kimball was the fifth generation of his family to operate Kimball Farm in Rumford, and in the town’s bicentennial year of 2000 he was profiled and photographed for Rumford Stories. He drove to Bates in a Model A that he and his sister owned together: “Oh geez, it was a great car. I used it a lot beaver trapping; you could drive it out in the field, two feet of snow, chains on it, it’d go anywhere.” The farm was established by Moses Kimball in 1785, and was designated a National Bicentennial Farm. He occupied the vital position of fence-viewer for the town, and was its acknowledged cribbage champion. He was also an enthusiastic croquet and bridge player, and trapped into his 90s. He served as a trustee at the United Methodist Church in Rumford Center. In 1995, he received the State of Maine Grange Farm Family Award. He was a member of the Rumford Center Grange for 82 years, and a charter member of the Rumford Point Men’s Club. His wife, Grace, predeceased him. He is survived by his daughter, Gay; his son, David; and five grandchildren. Barbara Moore Lucas ’41 is his niece.

Hildagarde Wilson Lomas, Dec. 13, 2003.
Billee Wilson Lomas planted bulbs in her garden and then took a trip to Seattle and Maui just before she died at 92. Even a broken hip in early 2003 didn’t stop her: she vowed to walk again so she could spend the summer at her beloved house on Cape Cod. She spent hours on the deck there, watching birds and “plotting against squirrels,” as she put it. She left Bates when she married Livingston Lomas ’30. Together they traveled the world, serving congregations of the American Baptist church. Wherever she went, she immersed herself in local customs. In Samoa, she studied with local artisans to make paper and native organic dyes. In New Zealand, she spun wool to knit sweaters and hook rugs. She and Livy were airlifted out of the Congo when the revolution started there. Even after Livy retired in 1973, they filled interim ministries in Samoa, Panama, and New Zealand. In Samoa, Billee was selected as a delegate to the Pacific-Asian Conference for Church Women in Seoul. She was very active with the Cape Cod Bates Club. Her parents were Edbert and Lucille Goddard Wilson ’05, ’05; her aunt was Annette Goddard, Class of 1901. Her husband and her son, Ronald, predeceased her. She is survived by her son, Richard; two daughters, Meredith Dahms and Marilyn Stickle; her sister, Eleanor Wilson Gustafson Parsons ’33; nine grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Harold M. Karkos,
Oct. 27, 2003.
Mike Karkos took great pride in his hometown of Wilton, Maine, and said returning to teach there was a “dream come true.” He taught at Wilton Academy for 12 years, and also served as its athletic director. In 1945 he became principal of Strong (Maine) High School, but left in 1947 to become a promotion manager for Forster Manufacturing Co. Two years later, he and his wife, Betty, started a printing business in Wilton, retiring in 1989. In 1992, he made a video to preserve the sights and sounds of Wilton. He served as president of the Wilton Chamber of Commerce and as a selectman and school board member. He was the first president of the Wilton Historical Society in 1963. In 1985, the Maine Legislature issued a sentiment honoring him for his many civic contributions. A varsity tennis player at Bates, he continued to play into his 80s. He learned to play left-handed when he injured his right hand, and especially enjoyed a doubles tournament with his granddaughter as his partner. The town courts in Wilton are named for him. He was a Boy Scout master, a member of the Lions club, a 50-year Mason, and a member of the Grange since 1928. He was an avid stamp collector, and liked to assess the value of stamp collections. He served as president of the Maine Philatelic Society. He was also president of the Maine Graphic Arts Assn. He is survived by his wife, Betty Cole Karkos; his son, Stephen A. Karkos; two brothers, Merton Karkos and Leo Karkos; three grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. One of his brothers was John Karkos ’26; his cousin was Stephen J. Karkos ’33. His nephew and his wife, Kern and Susan Downs Karkos, are members of the Class of 1990. Another nephew, Stephen J. Karkos, graduated in 1970.

Elizabeth Lord Armitage, Nov. 13, 2003.
Lee Lord Armitage brought a portable piano to her 50th Reunion “to make things lively.” Her jazz band played afternoon gigs at local convalescent centers until she was in her 80s, a sideline she picked up after she retired in 1970. She worked as a secretary and substitute teacher. She served on the governing boards of several Unitarian Universalist churches, and organized classes in Spanish and sign language. Her degree from Bates was in French; as a student, she was active in the Outing Club and was the art editor of the Mirror. Her husband, Perley Armitage Sr., predeceased her. She is survived by three sons, Perley Jr., Dick, and Michael; eight grandchildren; several great-grandchildren; and a sister, Martha Getchell.

Maxine Hopkinson,
Dec. 25, 2003.
Hoppy Hopkinson attended Shaw Business School after graduation from Bates. She taught mathematics at Bridge Academy in Dresden, and at Waterville and Brunswick high schools. She later worked for the Social Security Administration and for Maine Surgical Supply. Her daughter, Jane Bernstein, predeceased her.

Richard Tuttle,
Aug. 9, 2003.
Richard Tuttle worked professionally with a dance band after four years with the Bates Bobcats band, leading it during his senior year. He then put his economics degree to work in the insurance industry in Massachusetts and Cleveland. He was the past president of the Cleveland Executive Council, the past chair of the Cleveland Arbitration Committee, and a past member of the advisory board of the American Arbitration Assn. He retired in 1976 from AMICA (Automobile Mutual Insurance Co. of America). Guy Tuttle 1908 was his father; Allison Eugene Tuttle 1879 was his grandfather. His uncle was Eugene Tuttle 1905; and Dorothy Tuttle Tarr ’42 is his cousin. Besides Dorothy, he is survived by his third wife, Genevieve; and his children, Nancy and Richard. His first wife, Lydia, died in 1975; his second wife, Marilyn, died in 1996.

Ruth Coan Fulton,
Jan. 18, 2004.
Ruth Coan Fulton became active in education in 1968 following a long hiatus, joining the faculty of Andover College in Portland as an English teacher. She later became academic dean. She wrote articles on education for several magazines, as well as business education manuals, which she used in her classes and marketed. In 1975, she received a master’s degree in education from the Univ. of Southern Maine. At Bates, she was a member of the Chapel Choir and the Glee Club. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa and was a member of the Bates Key. She once said, “My Bates experience is one of the highlights of my life.” From 1930 to 1940, she was the social director at the College’s summer school. Following her 1980 retirement, she wrote two genealogies on the Coan family and one on the Fulton family. She was a member of the Maine Historical Society, the Maine Old Cemetery Assn., the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Society of Mayflower Descendants. Her husband, Robert W. Fulton, died in 1992. She is survived by her daughter, Pamela McLaughlin; two sons, David Fulton and Robert M. Fulton; and four grandchildren.

Isabella Joy Fleming Dewey, Sept. 21, 2003.
At Bates, Joy Fleming Dewey was a prize-winning debater, who won the Freshman Prize for debating and served on the Debating Council. She was also her class’s Ivy Day speaker. She earned a bachelor’s in sociology and then a master’s degree from Columbia in 1941. “Izzy” also attended Indiana State Univ. and Illinois Univ. She worked for a few years at YMCAs in Portland and South Bend, Ind. In Portland, she also organized the USO Club. In 1962, she joined the faculty at Loogootee (Ind.) High School; in 1968, she moved to Wilmington (Ill.) High School, where she taught social studies and English until 1973. Her husband, Carroll M. Dewey, died in 1980. She is survived by her daughter, Carol; her son, Frank; a sister, Lillian Beach; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Elizabeth Winston Scott, Sept. 11, 2003.
Elizabeth Winston Scott was a Trustee emerita of the College. She served on the Board of Overseers from 1967 to 1972 and from 1974 to 1979, then joined the Board of Fellows in 1979 and served until 1988. But her service to Bates only begins to describe her. She was passionate about education, political awareness, the Democratic Party, and the arts. She supported Adlai Stevenson for governor of Illinois and for president. She accompanied Jane and Ed Muskie ’36 during the 1968 campaign for president, and was a delegate for Michael Dukakis to the Democratic National Convention in 1988. She was instrumental in bringing Muskie’s papers to Bates, and hosted U.S. Sen. George Mitchell at the dedication of the Muskie Archives. Her interest in education is exemplified by her work with American Field Service, especially her work as chair of the committee that selected students from abroad for American study. She also endowed a scholarship at Bates in memory of her son, John Winston Levinson, for students interested in history, astronomy, golf, and bridge. She served as secretary and treasurer of her alumni class and as Chicago-area chair for the College’s first capital campaign. She was president of the Chicago Bates Club in the early 1970s. Her first husband, John Levinson, died in 1974. She is survived by her daughter, Elinor Hood; two stepdaughters, Susan Berry and Linda Massaro; a brother, Thomas; and five grandsons. Her second husband was Robert L. Scott; he passed away in 2002. Her son died in 1975.

Harold A. Armstrong,
June 28, 2003.
Harold Armstrong attended Brandeis as well as Bates. A sports enthusiast, he was named to the All-Conference basketball team while a high school student at Thornton Academy. He was an approved official with the National Board of Basketball Officials. For most of his working life, he was with New England Life Insurance Co., from which he retired in 1978 as a group insurance manager. He is survived by his companion, Martha Peters, and two sons, Harold J. and Brian.

Ruth Montgomery Fullerton,
Nov. 12, 2003.
Ruthie Montgomery Fullerton was known for her unusual collections. From her mantle hung an assortment of plumb bobs. Iron trivets and ivory buttons were displayed in her house. She even won prizes for her stamp collections. She and her husband, Richard Fullerton ’38, donated to Bates their collection of photo negatives and 16mm movie footage of their college years. She was a teacher in the Dayton (Ohio) vocational schools, and taught ESL at the local YWCA in retirement. She was also active with the League of Women Voters. As a student, she was active in student government, and was secretary-treasurer of the organization in her senior year. Her husband died in 1990. She was also predeceased by her son, Lawrence. She is survived by several nephews.

Fred Burton Reed, Nov. 12, 2003.
Burt Reed worked as a tennis pro after graduation, building on the success he enjoyed as a member of the Bates team. He then became a salesman for various newspapers, including the Chicago Times and the Christian Science Monitor, before joining Oliver Tripp Printing Co., where he worked for 40 years. He also became a skilled golfer, and won the club championship at Marshfield (Mass.) Country Club five times. He once was the New England senior champion in golf for golfers 65 to 70 years old. His competitive nature extended to the bridge table, and he played in two clubs. He was active in the Shriners and the Masons, and was the director and past president of the Boston Lithographers Club. His wife, Blanche Hallahan Reed, predeceased him. He is survived by his daughter, Donna Nelson; his son, David Reed; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Eleanor Hapgood McKenzie,
Aug. 24, 2003.
Eleanor Hapgood McKenzie was a medical technologist in Lewiston and Auburn, in Waterbury and Stamford, Conn., and Plainfield, N.J., before she married in 1949. In 1959, she and her family settled in Seattle, where she lived until recently. In Seattle, she was an avid gardener and active in PTA, the Lady Lions, and her church. She held an honorary life membership in Washington PTA for her school and community service. In the early 1950s, she was president of the Washington Bates Club. Her husband passed away in 1988. She is survived by her daughter, Margaret Maffin, and two grandchildren.

Martha Greenlaw Allman,
Dec. 22, 2003.
In her class’s 50th Reunion book, Martha Greenlaw Allman listed her current interests as family, church, and bridge, and then noted, “I would have put golf first until my knees gave out.” She modestly did not mention her considerable skill at crewel embroidery and sewing. Her church activities centered around the Universalist church in Wakefield, Mass., where she held nearly every position in the church at one time or another. She attended Bates at the urging of her high school debate coach, and returned to school after the birth of her children to earn a teaching certificate from Salem State College. She taught for 17 years in the Wakefield school system, and also served as an assistant principal, retiring in 1981. She never got a master’s degree, she said, because she never took statistics. She loved to argue politics, always supporting the Democratic platform. Her husband, Robert Allman ’39, died two days after their 40th anniversary in 1982. She leaves three children, Sue Allman Hunt, Robert Allman, and Anne Allman Van Twisk ’74; and four grandchildren. She is also survived by her sister-in-law, Louise Allman Brannen ’31.

Honorine Hadley Bourdon,
Aug. 14, 2003.
Honorine Hadley Bourdon lived in Claremont, N.H., from the age of 2 until her death. She knew the town well: her Bates senior thesis in sociology was a study of Claremont and its people. She served the town throughout her professional and personal life, managing a caseload of 150 elderly, blind, or otherwise disabled people as the director of adult services for the New Hampshire Division of Human Resources. “For all of my people,” she said, “I am an advocate, an advocate of their rights and dignity.” She was a past president of the League of Women Voters and served on the Claremont Planning Board from its inception for over 25 years. She held membership in the Congress of Claremont Senior Citizens, New Hampshire Assn. for the Elderly, the State Employees Assn., Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee, National Council of Senior Citizens, and the Sullivan County Helping Service Council. Her first marriage to Robert E. Staff ended in divorce. Her second
husband, Earl Bourdon, died in 1993. She is survived by her children, Rhoda Staff-Bottom, Valerie Staff, and Christopher Staff; six grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and a brother, Bradford Hadley.

Joseph J. Howard Jr., Dec. 19, 2003.
Joseph Howard was liberated by Allied forces from a POW camp during World War II. He was a navigator of a B-25, for which he received the Air Medal with bronze and silver oak leaf clusters. Following the war, he taught history and Spanish at Groton (Mass.) Academy. He worked for W.T. Grant for nearly 30 years as a district manager. He then became a senior vice president of Westbank Guide, a newspaper in Gretna, La. He retired in 1989. He is survived by his wife, Theodora Rizoulis Howard ’42; his children, Diane Howard, Mary Briner, John Howard, and Kathy Hamman; six grandchildren; and a sister, Catherine Howard. Two grandchildren predeceased him. His sister-in-law is Athanasia Rizoulis Williamson ’44.

John A. Kenney Jr., Nov. 30, 2003.
Jack Kenney’s life mirrors the struggle for civil rights for black Americans in the 20th century. As a young child in Tuskegee, Ala., he learned to identify plants at the knee of Booker T. Washington. His father was Washington’s personal physician, and it was Washington who asked Jack’s father to come to the Tuskegee Institute, which he founded, since there were no black doctors in town, and the white doctors would not treat blacks. When the Veterans Administration decided to build a hospital in Tuskegee to treat black veterans, Jack’s father convinced President Harding that it should be staffed by black doctors and nurses; the Ku Klux Klan responded by burning a cross on the family’s lawn. In danger, the Kenney family moved the next day to Montclair, N.J., where Jack’s father founded the first hospital for blacks in nearby Newark. (Ironically, Jack’s brother, Howard ’40, would go on to become the medical director at that new veterans’ hospital in Tuskegee.) At Bates, Jack won the William F. Manuel Award for the graduate making the most significant progress in biology. He was a double major in chemistry and biology, president of his class during his senior year, and a contributor to the Garnet. He received his medical degree from Howard Univ. in 1945. He interned at Cleveland City Hospital, where he learned that white dermatologists refused to treat black patients, and was promised a staff position if he trained as a dermatologist. While studying at the Univ. of Michigan, he found it hard to obtain samples of black skin to experiment on, so he often drove into Detroit to retrieve amputated limbs; once he resorted to using his own skin for research. He went on to single-handedly establish dermatology for black Americans as a medical specialty. Of the 300 black dermatologists practicing today, it is estimated that 200 studied under Dr. Kenney. He developed the dermatology department at Howard into a major research center, and chose to teach there for four decades rather than establish a more lucrative private practice. He was especially interested in treatments for vitiligo, a disorder that causes white blotches on skin. He was the first black elected to the American Academy of Dermatology; in 1995 the academy named him a master of dermatology and in 2001 it awarded him its gold medal. Jack served two terms as a Bates Trustee. In 1963, he became president of the National Medical Assn., an organization founded by his father. He was a consultant to the U.S. State Dept. for 29 years, holding weekly clinics. He received an honorary degree from Bates in 1988, and from Howard in 1987. In 2001, Bates awarded him the Benjamin Elijah Mays Award. He practiced medicine until he was 85. His wife, Larcenia Ferne Wood Kenney, died in 2000. He is survived by two daughters, Anne Kenney and Frances Moseley; a son, John III; and a grandson.

Carolyn Wood, Nov 27, 2003.
Carolyn Wood’s first taste of education was in a one-room schoolhouse in Leeds as one of two students. By the time she retired, she was an assistant dean at the Columbia Univ. Law School. Following graduation from Bates with an English degree, Carolyn moved to New York City, where she earned a secretarial certificate through Columbia’s business school. She was secretary to the editor of the New York Times Book Review for six years, and then an editorial assistant at Crown Publishers Inc., for six years. She returned to Columbia as assistant to the dean of the law school, and later became an assistant dean. She retired in 1986 after 12 years as assistant dean for student academic services. She was especially immersed in the arts in New York, a patron of the Metropolitan Opera, Friends of Mostly Mozart, Lincoln Center, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the New York City Ballet. Her uncle was Frank S. Hoy ’15. She is survived by her brother, Gilbert; two sisters, Ruth Wood and Mary Greaton; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Frank Comly,
July 28, 2003.
Dean Harry Rowe ’12 once remembered Frank Comly as the student who broke more windows with snowballs than any other student. Frank was at Bates for two years, and then transferred to Cornell. During World War II, he was awarded the Air Medal by the Navy for his bravery in strafing enemy destroyers, sinking one and severely damaging another. He owned a construction company and a real estate company in the Philadelphia area. He is survived by his wife, Barbara, and his children, Avalon, Dianne, Frank III, Jacqueline, Mark, Marsha, and Nina.

Barbara Johnson Anderson, Aug. 9, 2003.
Barbara Johnson Anderson attended Bates for two years before an aptitude test suggested she would do well as a nurse. She went on to receive nursing certification from Mass. General Hospital in 1944. She stopped nursing to become a full-time mom, but took a refresher course in the mid-1960s and returned to the field. She was a director of the Worcester (Mass.) chapter of the American Red Cross and a corporator of Memorial Home for the Blind. She served on many boards and committees at First Baptist Church in Worcester. She was a former president of Fairlawn Hospital Auxiliary, a board member of Worcester County Music Association, and a member of PEO Sisterhood Chapter. She was active with the Worcester Art Museum, Worcester Horticultural Society, Worcester Historical Society, and Mechanics Hall. Her husband, Lloyd Anderson, died in 1990. She is survived by her children, Richard, Ronald, Robert, and Joan Jansen; and five grandchildren.

Mitchell A. Melnick,
Jan. 24, 2003.
Mitch Melnick earned master’s degrees from Western Reserve and Highland universities in chemistry. He was part of the chemist group at Los Alamos National Laboratory that assisted in the development of the atomic bomb. He received a meritorious service unit plaque for his work. After the war, he spent 10 years as a radio chemist at the lab, and then opened an insurance agency with his wife. He is survived by his son, Mitchell Jr.

Michael G. Touloumtzis, June 25, 2003.
In 1980, Michael Touloumtzis got the archeology bug when he unearthed a 9,000-year-old tool used to scrape hides. “It was an indescribable thrill to be in touch with someone so far back,” he once said. Six years later, he was president of the Massachusetts Archeological Society. He liked to stand at a particular location in his hometown of Attleboro, Mass., and marvel that once it was covered with five miles of ice. “It’s all part of a continuum,” he said. “And it’s exciting to see you’re part of that.” Professionally, Michael was a psychologist and maintained a practice until his death. He received a master’s from BU in 1950 and studied at Harvard and Clark. He was active in the Rhode Island Psychological Assn., the Massachusetts Psychological Assn., and the American Psychological Assn. His son and daughter-in-law are Michael Touloumtzis ’72 and Paula Foresman ’71. He is also survived by his wife, Lydia; two other sons, George and Steven; a sister, Bessie Touloumtzis; and his grandchildren.

Mary Bailey Campbell,
Sept. 10, 2002.
Melisse Campbell received a master’s in engineering from the Univ. of Chicago in 1946, and a master’s of library science from the Univ. of Maryland in 1979. She taught English in the schools in Rockville, Md., retiring in 1985. She also spent time in Saudi Arabia and Venezuela as part of her husband’s work. Her husband, Jack George Campbell, survives her, as do her sons, James and Richard.

Romeo Baker, Nov. 11, 2003.
Romeo Baker was an artist and outdoorsman. He taught skiing at Sunday River and was an avid hunter and fisherman. He was a talented woodworker and painter, and donated some of his work to the Bates Museum of Art. He also designed logos for his class Reunions. He flew B-24s for the U.S. Air Force during World War II, service that ended his career at Bates. He then became a funeral director n New Jersey for 27 years before moving to the Bethel area. He and his wife, Jo, operated a bed and breakfast in Newry, and later turned the building into the Bethel Art Gallery. He served as his class vice president. Survivors include his wife, Jo Baker; eight children, Margaret Guinan, Linda Meyer, Carol Reilly, Randall Baker, Jane Derleth, Julie Keaveney, Nancy Martin, and Gary Stevens; nine grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; a brother, Pete Baker; and three sisters, Dora Gardner, Margaret Buck and Yvonne Nowlin.

Lawrence D. Carey,
July 14, 2003.
Larry Carey was a football star at Burlington High School and was among the first inducted into its Athletic Hall of Fame in 2001. His father’s early death from heart disease convinced him to stay in shape, which he accomplished in part by chopping wood at his parents’ house as a young man. He credited his strong physical condition with saving his life when he was wounded during the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He suffered broken vertebrae and gangrene, and spent two years (including five surgeries) recovering, spending three months lying on his stomach so his back wound could get air. He attended Bates on the GI Bill and then started a 40-year career in pharmaceutical sales. He was active in his church and in Rotary. He was most recently a member of the Sunrise Casco Bay Club in Portland, where he was honored by receiving the Paul Harris Fellow Award from his own charter. He was an enthusiastic volunteer in the Portland area with the Visitors and Convention Center, Volunteer Legal Aid Assn., Greater Portland Landmarks, Maine Medical Center, and Meals on Wheels. He enjoyed traveling with his wife and family, reading, fishing, cooking and doing crossword puzzles. He is survived by his wife, Wendeline (Wendy) Otto Carey; daughters Lynn Carey and Elizabeth Bernier; sisters Frances Pierce, Kathryn Doherty, Jean Simmons and Ruth Gillis; and five grandchildren. His son, David Carey, died in 1993.

Robert E. Adair,
Dec. 28, 2003.
Bob Adair became the first free-lance television sportscaster in Maine in 1953, and hosted almost 400 telecasts called “Sports Fare with Bob Adair.” He then went on to a career in commercial insurance. He owned Bradish-Young Inc. and later became an account executive with the Dunlap Agency. He was active in the Portland Toastmasters Club, Elks, Kiwanis, and Masons. He served on the board of directors of the Portland YMCA and chaired Community Chest drives. At Bates, he played basketball and baseball, and was vice president of his class during his senior year. He is survived by his wife, Melody Hutchins Adair; his former wife, Helen S. Adair; two daughters, Sheryl Taylor and Susan Ross; two sons, W. Scott Adair and Robert E. Adair Jr.; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Richard Harriman,
Sept. 9, 2003.
Richard Harriman spent most of his career as a master sergeant in the United States Air Force. He retired from the Air Force after 26 years in 1977. He then became a printer, retiring from that work in 1988. Following Bates, he attended Eastern Illinois Univ. His first wife died in 1965. He is survived by his wife, Marjorie Harriman; three daughters, Nancy Mobley, Shirley Perry, and Heidi Holmes; three sons, Alvin Perry, Leonard Perry, and Richard Harriman; a sister, Phyllis Wadleigh; 10 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Marjorie Harthan Fay, Jan. 5, 2004.
Two words to describe Midge Harthan Fay might be “crusty” and “curmudgeon.” And she would be proud to hear them. She was a journalist of the old school, ready to sit down and knock out 700 words on any topic. She had a hard time starting her career, though: No one wanted to hire a woman. “I can list every newspaper from Lewiston to New York City that refused to hire me,” she said. “It was real discouraging.” Finally, the Beverly (Mass.) Evening Times took a chance on her. Midge noted that “even Ben Bradlee started there.” Her career was mostly with papers in Connecticut, especially the Meriden Record-Journal. She covered city hall, the board of education, and the redevelopment agency. She was a medical reporter, features reporter, religion reporter, books editor, religion editor, and a columnist. She served on the Connecticut Freedom of Information Commission in the late 1970s. At her retirement party from the Record-Journal, she wore a pin that read, “If you want a thing well done, get a couple of old broads to do it.” Shortly before her death, her cousin, Jocelyn Fay, and her friend, Betsy Witteman, put together a booklet of her writing as a remembrance of her and for her. Her husband, John Brooks Fay, died in 1995. She is survived by a niece and her cousin Jocelyn.

Kevin Keenan, Aug. 11, 2003.
“Doc” Keenan attended Bates for one year after serving in the Army Air Corps, where he was one of the first physician’s assistants, administering anesthesia and helping with complex medical procedures. He started at the Portland Press Herald as a proofreader and later became a Linotype operator. He was a talented musician, and taught all of his children to play guitar. He is survived by his wife and high school sweetheart, Mary, and his six children: David, Kevin, Kathleen Romasco, Susan Ferrante, Erin Luck, and Michael. He also leaves 15 grandchildren and eight great-granchildren.

Ann Leonard Lawton Van Lente, June 28, 2003.
Ann was best known for her interest in gardening. She became especially concerned about the use of persistent chlorinated hydrocarbons, and represented the Federated Garden Clubs of Michigan on the board of directors of the Michigan Pesticides Council to help ban their use, not only in Michigan but world-wide. At Bates, she was the editor of the Garnet and class secretary. She is survived by her husband, Dale; their children, Katrina and Gretel; six grandchildren; and her mother, Gertrude Lawton.

Priscilla Steele, Sept. 18, 2003.
Priscilla Steele used her bachelor’s degree in sociology as the basis of her career working with tuberculosis patients. She started as a rehabilitation counselor in Lewiston, Boston, and Northampton, Mass. She was the executive secretary of the Berkshire County Tuberculosis Assn. from 1952 to 1956, and then became a statewide field consultant with the N.J. Tuberculosis and Health Assn. In 1960, she joined the staff of the National Tuberculosis Assn. in New York, and worked on the Christmas Seal Campaign. She served a three-year term on the governing council of the Congress of Lung Assn. Staff. While in Massachusetts, she was treasurer of the N.E. Tuberculosis Assn. and the Tuberculosis Rehabilitation Society. She also was a member of the Massachusetts Conference of Tuberculosis Secretaries, as well as secretary/treasurer of the Berkshire Bates Club. In New York, she was a volunteer with the New York City Ballet, the New York City Opera, and the American Ballet Theatre. She was elected to the Bates Key as an alumna. Her cousin, Reginald Colby, was a member of the Class of 1931. She is survived by her sister, Patricia Pospichal, and a brother, Porter Steele.

Lawrence Cannon,
Oct. 30, 2003.
Larry Cannon was a commissioned officer in the U.S. Air Force. His 26-year career took him around the world, including service in Vietnam and Germany. He spent so much time out of the country that he said he experienced “sticker shock” when he came home to Maine after retiring from the service in 1975 as a lieutenant colonel. He was an enrolled agent for the IRS. In 1987, he married into a large Greek family and eagerly embraced the culture, and was baptized into the Greek Church. At Bates, he was a speech major, and was very active in the Robinson Players and intramural sports. He is survived by his wife, Katherine Markos Johns Cannon; his daughters, Joan Kutsch and Jane Price; his stepdaughters, Penny Diaz, Anne Hall, and Barbara Stauble; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Wendell Leonard Wray, Aug. 24, 2003.
Wendell Wray’s most prized possession was his 3,000-volume collection of books on African-Americana and the African Diaspora. He had eight boxes of autobiographies alone. He grew up surrounded by books — his father had so many that he started a rental library. He chose to attend Bates sight-unseen because he admired Dr. Reynold Burch ’37. He once described his years at Bates as the happiest in his life. A magna cum laude graduate, Wendell majored in psychology and minored in sociology; he had enough credits for a second major in Spanish and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He intended to be a psychiatrist but flunked calculus in graduate school and so turned to library science instead. He was poet laureate of his class, and his poetry was read at his 50th Reunion. He received a master’s in library science from the Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1952, the first black man to do so. He received its Distinguished Alumni award in 1973. He worked at the New York Public Library for 14 years, serving at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture (used by, among others, Richard Wright and Langston Hughes) and directing the North Manhattan Library Project, which brought arts and humanities programs to the inner city. Roots author Alex Haley encouraged him and paid for him to study at Columbia’s oral history program, which began his personal and professional fascination with the discipline. He spent the remainder of his career as a faculty member at the Univ. of Pittsburgh’s library school, the successor to Carnegie Tech. His cousin-in-law was George Winston ’38. He is survived by his sister, Louise Wray Stewart, and two nieces.

Fred J. More,
Dec. 27, 2003.
Fred More first came to Bates as part of the V-12 program and remembered marching in formation across the bridge over “the smelly Androscoggin River” on the way to the Auburn YMCA to swim. He returned after the war to earn a degree in economics. He also met Jane Ann Hutchinson ’52, who would become his wife. Fred earned an M.B.A. from NYU in 1957 and entered the field of computers in its infancy. There were no computer programming languages then, so he learned to think like a computer, he once said. He held a patent for a computer-related invention, and founded his own software company, DANMOR Systems. When he retired from the computer field in 1972, he entered Seton Hall Univ. to get a certificate in school business administration. He served as the business manager for Cranford (N.J.) public schools and as the director of the computer center at the Union County Technical Institute until he retired again in 1990. To keep his mind active, he said, he became a tax preparer for H&R Block. He had a lifelong interest in architecture and design, one he was able to indulge by helping to design and build their retirement home on Cousins Island in Cumberland. He was a frequent visitor to a nearby golf course, and could brag that he had shot three holes-in-one. His wife died in 1998. He is survived by three sons, Jamie ’75, Daniel, and Andrew; a daughter, Stephanie More Vary ’79; and seven grandchildren.

Charlotte Booth MacDonald Giannelli,
June 29, 2003.
In 1987, Charlotte Booth MacDonald Giannelli moved to central Florida, where she was an avid golfer. She is survived by her husband, Neal, and her children, Micaela MacDonald, Jan VanVaerenewyck, Patricia MacDonald, Ann Lawson, Paul MacDonald, John MacDonald, Edward MacDonald, Matthew MacDonald, Ian MacDonald, and Thomas MacDonald; stepchildren Mary Jean Giannelli, Gary Giannelli, and Anthony Giannelli; 25 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. A daughter predeceased her.

Nov. 30, 2003.
Hank Stred was barely an alumnus himself when he became Alumni Secretary for the College, a position he held for 13 years. During that time, he earned a master’s in speech from Bradley Univ. to go along with his bachelor’s in speech from Bates. He taught public speaking to Bradley students while working towards his degree. While Alumni Secretary, he directed a project that licensed, sited, and built WCBB in Augusta, Maine’s first public television station. He also served on the Lewiston Mayor’s Citizens Advisory Commission and was the Lewiston representative on the Androscoggin Valley Regional Planning Commission. He left Bates in 1967 to work in public relations for CMP, the Gorton Corp., and Union Jace, a division of General Mills. He joined Maine Medical Assn. as its executive vice president in 1979, and retired in 1993. While with the MMA, he created and promoted programs such as peer review, physicians’ health, continuing medical education, and public information. He edited four editions of Maine’s Consumer Guide to Medical Care. He also built the association’s headquarters in Augusta. He equipped it with two sinks, two refrigerators, and two microwaves, duplicating his personal habit of having two of everything (trombones, tennis-ball throwing machines, etc.). When his granddaughter was born, he made a set of decoupage alphabet blocks for her. The letter was on one side, and the other five faces were decorated with scientific and historical drawings and pictures. When he retired, MMA named its headquarters in his honor. At the ceremony marking that event, American Medical Assn. President Robert McAfee ’56 said, “Maine’s people, who depend on good health care, and our physicians, both have a debt of gratitude to Frank Stred.” At Bates, he played tennis, marched with the football band, and sang in the choral society. He was vice president and president of the College Club in the mid-1970s, and served as president of his class. He continued to participate in tennis and choral groups into his retirement. He is survived by his wife, Priscilla; his daughters, Susan Stred and Kristin Stred; a granddaughter, Katherine Davis; and a sister, Norma Appel.

Margaret Brown Bondaruk,
July 8, 1998.
Margaret Bondaruk was active in debate and student government while at Bates. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa and attended law school at Boston Univ. She was active with AAUW. Her husband, John ’54, survives her, as do her mother, Lorna McKenney Brown ’31, and two daughters, Emily and Dana.

Robert Chumbook,
Nov. 19, 2003.
Bob Chumbook often said that his life was changed by a scholarship. His mother was a single parent, and the family was barely getting by when Bob was offered a scholarship to Cheshire (Conn.) Academy. Throughout his professional career in secondary education, he worked to establish and increase sources of financial aid for students. Following brief stints in manufacturing and at public high schools, Bob became the headmaster at Kents Hill School, a position he held for five years. In 1970, he became headmaster at Marlborough School in Los Angeles, where he remained until 1990. While at Marlborough, he dramatically increased the school’s endowment and salaries, and improved its facilities, along with establishing a scholarship program. He was an advocate of diversity in the student body. He liked to wear a T-shirt that read, “Laugh hard, hang tough, lend a hand.” He earned a master’s in education from the Univ. of Hartford in 1965. He served the College in several capacities: He hosted countless Bates events at Marlborough, was a volunteer in Alumni-in-Admissions, co-chaired the Reunion Gift Committee for his class in 1989, and was an Alumni Trustee. When running for Trustee in 1983, he wrote, “Why fly 3,000 miles to Trustee meetings? Simply because I love the College and would gladly serve it in any way I can.” He was one of the principal organizers of the Milton E. Lindholm Scholarship Fund. While a student, he was captain of the football team, and played basketball and ran track. His first wife was Jennifer Walker Chumbook ’57, who survives him. He is also survived by his second wife, Rona; his daughter, Jody Chumbook Brady; and his son, Robert Jr.

Richard Wakely,
Oct. 15, 2003.
Dick Wakely was the retired headmaster of Dover Sherborn (Mass.) Regional High School. He began his career at the school as a guidance counselor, and was headmaster for more than 35 years. He retired in 1994; more than 400 people attended his retirement party. He earned a master’s in education from Boston Univ. in 1963. He served on the executive board of the Massachusetts Secondary School Principals Assn., and was national chair of the School to College Relations Committee. He was also active in the Army Reserve. He was an avid football fan, and often sat in the stands at Garcelon Field, cheering the team, win or lose. He was a member of the College Key and active in Alumni-in-Admissions. He is survived by his wife, Norma; two sons, James (Chip) ’82 and Jeffrey; and two grandsons. His parents, J. Sidney and Pearl Littlefield Wakely, were members of the Class of 1933. Maxwell A.H. Wakely ’28 was his uncle.

David W. Fish,
Aug. 31, 2003.
A psychology major at Bates, Dave Fish was an advocate for the rights and needs of people with disabilities. He served as the director of rehabilitation services for the Maine Department of Human Services for more than three decades, serving Androscoggin, Franklin, and Oxford counties. He was especially involved in making certain that clients seeking job skills were offered opportunities. He was president of the Northeast Region National Rehabilitation Assn. His career in social services started with the state’s Department of Health and Welfare, where he provided services to people with visual impairments. Following Bates, he entered St. John the Divine Episcopal Seminary in New York and received an M.Div. from General Theological Seminary in 1966. He enjoyed traveling to Ireland and Bermuda with his wife, Carolyn, who died in 1997. He also was an accomplished needleworker and won a third-prize ribbon for his quilt at the Oxford County Fair one year.

Miklos Harmati, March 25, 2003.
Mike Harmati arrived in the United States in 1957, a refugee from Hungary during an uprising against the Soviet occupation. To better his English as a high school student, he gave talks to student bodies on the rigors of living under Soviet rule. He noted once that his fellow Hungarians were “not hungry for food, but they are starving for personal incentive, pride, and honor.” He received a degree in electrical engineering from Wentworth Institute and spent 15 months in Korea as a radio repairman in the Signal Corps. He became a United States citizen in 1963 and established his own construction and excavating business. He is survived by his sister, Elizabeth Harmati.

Dale Cooperson Donohue,
Nov. 11, 2003.
“We turned right at the Pacific Ocean and drove north to Anchorage,” Dale Cooperson Donohue once explained when asked how her family moved to Alaska. She said she turned her back on the “New York publishing scene” and headed west with a “vague notion” of Alaska. Once there, she and her husband built their wood-heated log home, and Dale became a gardener, knitter, and sewer. She called herself a “North Country junkie with biblioholic and fabricoholic tendencies.” She worked for the state of Alaska from 1991 to 2002. She earned a degree in philosophy from Bates, and was active in the Outing Club. Survivors include her husband, William J. Donohue; daughters Dr. Anne Donohue and Ellen M. Donohue; mother Dorothy Cooperson; sisters Dana Cooperson and Deborah Scott; and brothers Donald Cooperson and Dennis Cooperson.

Carl Kiesler,
Oct. 28, 2003.
Carl Kiesler founded Carl Kiesler, CPA, in New York City after working for Schlumberger and for Price Waterhouse. He received an M.B.A. from Rutgers in 1970. He is survived by his wife, Iris; two sons, Brian and Mitchell; his mother, Rae Kiesler; and his sister, Shari Upbin.

John Hudec,
March 30, 2002.
John Hudec played both baseball and basketball while at Bates, and captained the baseball team his senior year. He was a Vietnam veteran and a convention runner. He is survived by his son, José; his daughter, Stephanie, and his brother, Tom.

Roland Edward Smith,
Sept. 14, 2003.
Manson Smith was a Phi Beta Kappa religion major at Bates. He went on to earn a master’s from Harvard Divinity School. He developed diabetes as a result of taking Thorazine, and started a campaign against the drug to warn people of its unintended side effects. He claimed 250 million people around the world had been harmed by the drug. His sister-in-law is Marion Maynard Smith ’66.

Victoria Brotherhood Haiss,
June 29, 2003.
Victoria was a three-year student who graduated with honors in English. She was a writer, editor, and teacher, and had bylines in the Maine Times and The Boston Globe, among other publications, and most recently taught at Unity (Maine) College. She once took a martial arts class with John Jenkins ’74 to fulfill her Bates P.E. requirement. That, she said, convinced her to try dance instead. Her Short Term project during her senior year involved dancing six to eight hours a day. “Finally,” she said, “I’ll be dancing so much that I’ll really get into it, and it won’t hurt anymore.” She found out that it just hurt more. She spent another Short Term working with a geology class in the Canadian Appalachians. Her family spent time in Mexico every year, and as a student she wrote an article about her experiences there for this magazine; a recent article published in the Globe was a travel piece she wrote following a trip to Portugal in 2001. After Bates, she continued her studies at Trinity College, earning her master’s, and at Bread Loaf at Middlebury College. She is survived by her husband, William; her sons, Bill and John; her mother, Lee Brotherhood; her brother, Jonathan Brotherhood, and sisters, Logan Rudolph and Vashti Brotherhood.

Frits H. Sample,
April 26, 2000.
Frits Sample was killed while rock climbing. He was an avid outdoorsman, and a skilled Alpine skier. He was a civil engineer for the city of Boulder, Colo. He is survived by his parents, Russell and Johanna Sample, and his sister, Eltiena Campbell.

Catherine Longley Lawson,
Sept. 28, 2003.
Catherine Longley Lawson received a master’s degree from Bates in 1950. She taught in one-room schoolhouses in Poland Spring and Norway. She trained teachers at colleges in Machias and Plymouth, N.H. Later, she taught in the Campus School at Western Michigan Univ., and in the Kalamazoo Public Schools, retiring in 1974. She was an avid hockey fan who threw out the first puck at many home games at Western Michigan. The Catherine L. Lawson “Good Sportsmanship Award” has been presented at the end of each hockey season since the 1976-77 season. Her husband, Harry W. Lawson passed away in 1967. She was also preceded in death by stepsons Harry Lawson Jr. and Richard Lawson. She is survived by two children, Dr. Thomas Longley Lawson and Polly Lawson Davis; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Her late sisters were Charlotte Longley Orr ’35 and Dorris Longley Johnson ’22.

Former Faculty
Paul R. Sweet,
Nov. 5, 2003.
Paul Robinson Sweet, who taught modern European history at Bates for several years until 1943, was a specialist in German history whose work ranged from research and teaching to intelligence and diplomacy. During World War II, as a member of a roving three-man unit of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) on Europe’s western front, he co-authored reports that got prominent notice in the press and led to changes in occupation policy. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award, for his OSS service. First stationed in London, he accompanied Allied forces to interrogate prisoners of war and report on matters such as enemy morale. Recognized for his ability to interview German citizens in a conversational way, he, along with two colleagues, exposed that Nazis were being restored to authority in Aachen in 1945, which Arthur Schlesinger Jr. said led to a change in occupation policy. He worked for the State Department for many years starting in 1948. In the 1950s, as the senior U.S. editor of certain captured German documents, he had an awkward confrontation with British authorities over publication of material concerning the Duke of Windsor’s relations with Nazi Germany. Following his retirement, he taught history of international relations at Michigan State University in East Lansing. His second book, a two-volume biography of the Prussian statesman, political theorist and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt, was published by Ohio State Univ. Press in 1978 and 1980. He is survived by his wife, Katharyn; a daughter, Sarah Rosen; a son, William Sweet; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.