Quiet Places On Campus
There are many quiet, beautiful places on and near the campus which are conducive to contemplation and reflection. Some of our favorite sites include:
- Peter J. Gomes Chapel
Visit the chapel between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. daily.
Meditation cushions in pews at the very front.
- The Muslim Prayer Room, Hindu shrine, and Buddhist Meditation Room
Located in Chase Hall, which is open 7:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m. every day. If you would like access at other times, please contact us.
- The Multifaith Chaplaincy
Many cozy places to study, think, or meditate; 163 Wood St., 2nd floor.
- Ladd Library
- Perry Atrium, Pettengill Hall
- Museum of Art, Olin Arts Center
- College Greenhouse, Carnegie Science Hall
- The Quad (benches or stretch out anywhere)
- Backyard of the Multifaith Chaplaincy (163 Wood St.)
- Keigwen Amphitheater and benches near Lake Andrews (the puddle)
- The Otis Memorial by Lake Andrews
- Muskie Garden
- Mount David
- Olin Terrace
- Library Terrace
- Garden next to Hathorn Hall
- The Bates Garden
- Thorncrag Bird Sanctuary
- Riverwalk Trail by Sunnyside Park
- Riverside Cemetery
- Mt. Apatite in Auburn
- Riverwalk in Lewiston and Auburn
- Garcelon Bog
- Bates Morse Mountain Conservation Area
- The Bates Lean-To in Greene, Maine
- The Bates Yurt in Greene, Maine