Learning Environments where Students Flourish
We will embed entry level and core STEM courses with evidence-based practices that support our goals of inclusive excellence. We aspire to revise pathways through the curriculum to provide students with the flexibility to enter our majors and meet major requirements in ways that balance their interests and aspirations as Bates students. We are working to scaffold research experiences throughout the curriculum, leading to our capstone experiences with the goals of developing STEM graduates with strong disciplinary knowledge and skills and high self-efficacy and scientific identity.
Examples of Activities:
- Implementation of new 100 level Biology courses with Course Based Research Experiences (2019-2020)
- Adoption of open educational resources (OER) in Calculus
- Implementation of project-based work in introductory Digital and Computational Studies courses
- New entry-level Physics Courses (Planning 2019-2020- implementation 2020-2021)
- Revision of Introductory Chemistry Laboratories (Planning 2019-2020- implementation 2020-2021)
- Implementation of Revised and new FYS and 100-level Earth and Climate Sciences courses with Course Based Research Experiences (2019-2020)
For a comprehensive report of our pedagogical, curricular, and structural changes at the departmental and unit level, please see our 2022 report.