Frequently Asked Questions

+Can you tell me everything about the Olin Arts Building?
  • Hours are 7am – midnight, during the academic semesters.
  • Keys and information are available at the reception desk.
  • Instrument lockers are available: see Alexandra Hood between 8am-4:30pm at the reception desk, or email her at
  • Practice rooms are available to any student whenever the building is open, with the exception of during concerts or other events in the concert hall.
+What music ensembles are there at Bates?

Membership in department ensembles is open to all Bates students.  Contact individual directors for specific information about auditions. Membership in an ensemble can earn academic course credit towards graduation.

For more information about each ensemble and to see photos/videos of past concerts, click here:

Brass Ensemble Alan Carr, director

College Choir Joelle Morris, director

Gamelan Gina Fatone, director

Jazz Band Larry Williams, director

Orchestra Hiroya Miura, director

Steel Pan Orchestra  Duncan Hardy, director or

+What’s the Bates Musician Union (BMU)?

The BMU provides musical groups and bands organized by students themselves with the space and equipment they need for rehearsals and performances. The BMU supports campus bands with a rehearsal space, practice equipment, and live sound equipment for shows, located in Chase Hall.

+What courses are offered in the Music Department?

The department offers a wide variety of courses for majors and non-majors.  The areas covered include Western classical music, jazz, music of Southeast Asia, African-American music, music theory, music composition, African music, electronic music and video, performance, film music, song-writing, and improvisation, among others.

Students interested in minoring or majoring in music should begin our 4-semester music theory sequence as early as possible.

Dale Chapman is the department chair.  General questions about music courses or other music department activities can be addressed to him, Olin 252,

For more detailed information about individual courses offered in the music department, click here:

+Who are the music faculty members, and what do they teach?

Information about the music faculty and what they teach can be found at this link:

+Can I take private lessons?

Yes! Bates offers private lessons, known as the Applied Music program, on a wide variety of instruments. Instruction may be available in other classical, jazz, folk, and non-Western instruments when demand exists.