Open to all Bates students and faculty, this ensemble is intended to develop the skill and knowledge to perform a wide range of musical styles and genres from a cappella to Broadway and major symphonic works from all periods. There will be an emphasis in developing each singer’s vocal ability in a positive environment as well as to present quality performances with a high level of musicianship.
There are two required rehearsals per week and a performance at the end of every semester.
Students of all majors and backgrounds are eligible to audition.
While College Choir is normally taken for credit, the Director will also consider auditors (for students whose credit load would otherwise prevent them from registering).
A 25-voice ensemble which gives two large concerts per year. Recent works performed include Mozart’s Requiem and Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana. Entrance by audition. Solos in these pieces are always performed by students, an unusual opportunity for talented vocalists.
Feel free to contact Joelle Morris, Director, at email@example.com if you have further questions regarding the College Choir.
The Bates College Choir performs a wide range of musical genres including works with orchestra, recent works performed include Mozart’s Requiem and Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana. Solos in these pieces are always performed by students, an unusual opportunity for talented vocalists.
To listen to the examples below use RealPlayer or Quicktime:
- Magnificat by Johann Sebastian Bach No. 1. Magnificat
- Requiem by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart No. 2. Kyrie
- Liebeslieder Waltzes by Johannes Brahms No. 6. Ein kleiner, hubscher Vogel nahm
- A Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten No. 6. This little Babe
- A Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten No. 9. Spring Carol
- Lux Aeterna by Morten Lauridsen No. 1. Introitus
- Carmina Burana by Carl Orff No. 1. O Fortuna