Gifts of Securities
Transferring stock and mutual funds can be an easy way to give to Bates and in many cases offers a tax advantage.
We always recommend that you consult with your tax advisor in order to learn more about the advantages of gifting stock and mutual funds.
Interested in making a gift of securities to Bates?
1. Have your broker call or fax Bates College to notify us and begin the transfer process. The broker should provide Bates with the following information:
- Name of brokerage firm or trust company
- Name of broker, phone, and fax number
- Number of shares and name of security
- Intended date of transfer
- Name of donor
- Intended designation for the gift
2 Andrews Road
Lewiston, ME 04240
2. Unless otherwise instructed by Bates, process delivery through DTC to:
66 South Pearl St. 4th Fl.
PO Box 22042
Albany, NY 12201
DTC Participant #2205 (NDFS and SDFS)
DTC Participant: Society National Bank
Trust Account name: Bates College Gift Account
Federal ID #: 01-0211781
Trust Account #: 10-10-116-0297282
Stock Certificates in my name
If you hold the stock in certificate form and it’s in your name at the time you mail it to Bates College, the gift date is the date of the latter postmark of the certificate and the separately mailed stock power form. Full instructions are at the bottom of this page.
If you hand-deliver the stock certificate in person to Bates, the gift date is the date in which Bates College takes possession of the securities. It is still necessary to have a signed stock power form when hand-delivering the certificate in person if the certificate is in your name.
Stock Certificates in Bates’ name
If the certificate has been reissued and is in Bates’ name, the reissue date is the gift date. In this case, a stock power form in not necessary.
Please note that stock transfers normally are completed in a 2-3 business days, depending on your broker. Mutual fund transfers can take 2-3 weeks, especially at year-end, due to the additional paperwork required.