Mount David Society
The Mount David Society recognizes Bates Fund donors who put the college first in their annual philanthropy by making a gift of $1,855 or more to the Bates Fund. These individuals lead the way in supporting Bates by making significant, unrestricted current-use gifts each year — gifts that underpin the college’s ability to sustain excellence. The generous contributions of Mount David Society members provide nearly 80 percent of the Bates Fund total each year and make a tremendous impact on the campus each day. Since its inaugural year in 2004, cumulative MDS gifts have increased from $2.2 million to almost $5 million annually, leading the way in enhancing a transformative Bates experience.
Mount David Society Levels and Benefits
All Mount David Society members receive the following:
- Invitations to distinctive regional events
- Luncheon with faculty, students and fellow MDS members during the Mount David Summit, Bates’ annual celebration of student academic achievement
- Access to our exclusive networking group on LinkedIn: “Bates College Mount David Society”
- Mount David Society Leadership Notes quarterly newsletter from the Chair of the Board of Trustees, which provides pivotal institutional discussions, keeps you apprised of campus happenings, and alerts you to plans that affect the future of Bates
Alumni from the classes of 2005-2014 can join the Mount David Society at a reduced rate and begin their own tradition of philanthropic support to the college.
Gifts of $1,855 – $9,999 help make it possible for Bates students to discover, build, lead and inspire each day.
With a gift of $5,000 or more to the Bates Fund, donors can choose to create a Named Scholarship providing need-based aid, in your name or the name of a loved one, to a deserving Bates student.
Supporters who place the college at the top of their philanthropic priorities. Their generosity helps ensure that Bates is at the forefront of the nation’s liberal arts colleges today, and moving forward.
With a gift at this level donors receive:
- Reception with senior college leadership during the Mount David Summit in March
- Invitation to a roundtable discussion on college priorities with senior college leadership
- Selected academic reading chosen by President Spencer at the start of each academic year
$25,000 and above
Gifts at this level of the Mount David Society are critical to the overall success of the Bates Fund and provide the foundation for Bates to continue to deliver an outstanding education with a mission-driven approach.
In addition, donors receive:
- A personal call from a Bates trustee with insider perspectives on Bates College
- Opportunity for one-on-one conversation with a key member of the Bates administration
Mount David Society Committee
2014-2015 Mount David Society Committee
- Robert E. Cramer ’79, P’13, P’14, Co-chair
- Pamela B. Johnson ’91, Co-Chair
- Frederic R. Bernhard ’92
- William C. Carey ’82, P’13, P’14, Trustee
- Andrew F. Carman ’85
- Mary Capaldi Carr ’88
- Christopher R. Colapietro ’99
- Kathryn R. Duvall ‘05
- Michael P. Evans ’91
- Tatum E. Fraites ‘09
- Marjorie Northrop Friedman ’95, Trustee
- Wendy S. Graham ‘89
- Alan M. Green ’75
- Sharon Hartnett Hall ‘91
- Ralph H. Hinckley Jr. ’93
- Seth S. Holbrook ’79
- Mark Haynes Johnston ’10
- Julia D. Judson-Rea ’04
- Elliott B. Linsley ‘05
- Steven C. Moore ‘91
- Corey L. Norton ’97
- Julintip P. Thirasilpa ‘99
- Jason C. Verner ’95
- Nathaniel Y. Walton ‘08
- Brian H. Wells ’97
- Monika A. Wirtz ‘94