Immunization Requirements & Exemptions
Diphtheria, Tetanus, Measles, Mumps and Rubella Requirement
Bates College requires all students to be immunized against Diphtheria and Tetanus; and Measles, Mumps and Rubella.
- provide proof of at least one dose of DTaP, DTP, DT, Td, or TdaP given in the last 10 years;
- provide proof of 2 doses of MMR or MMRV, the first dose in this 2-dose series must have been given on or after the 1st birthday.
COVID-19 Required Reporting
Bates College strongly urges all incoming students to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Students can demonstrate vaccinated status in either of the following ways:
- provide proof of full vaccination and receipt of a recommended booster dose against COVID-19; or
- provide proof of one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine since September 2022.
All students are required to report their COVID-19 vaccination status. Students will report their vaccination status by selecting one of the following on their first-year health forms:
- proof of full vaccination and receipt of a recommended booster dose against COVID-19; or
- proof of one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine since September 2022.
- I am unable to receive recommended doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for medical reasons. (Receiving a medical exemption requires approval. For more information about medical exemptions please see below.)
- I will not receive recommended doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for philosophical reasons.
- I will not receive recommended doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for religious reasons.
Information about Medical Exemptions
In compliance with federal and Maine state law, students may request a medical exemption to these required immunizations. In order to be considered for a medical exemption, the student, or their parent or guardian, if the student is under 18, must submit the Medical Provider Documentation for Medical Exemptions for Immunizations form from a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant that attests that individual meets the below criteria for a medical exemption. All requests for exemptions are subject to the review and approval of the Medical Director of Bates Health Services.
Students are required to submit both the (1) Medical Provider Documentation for Medical Exemption for Immunization Form and the (2) Student Request for Medical Exemption for Immunizations Form. You can receive these forms by emailing email@example.com.
Criteria for Medical Exemption for Tetanus-Diphtheria Toxoid
☐ having received tetanus toxoid or tetanus-diphtheria toxoid within 5 years of enrollment;
☐ a hypersensitivity reaction to a prior dose of tetanus toxoid or tetanus-diphtheria toxoid.
Criteria for Medical Exemption for the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccine
☐ pregnancy, or students planning to become pregnant within 3 months;
☐ a history of anaphylactic reaction following egg ingestion or receipt of neomycin;
☐ students with altered immunocompetence. Please attach detailed documentation.
Criteria for Medical Exemption for the COVID-19 Vaccine
☐ a severe allergic reaction or a severe hypersensitivity reaction to a prior dose of COVID-19;
☐ a non-severe allergic reaction or a non-severe hypersensitivity reaction to a prior dose of COVID-19 within 4 hours of receiving the dose; examples include hives, swelling, and wheezing;
☐ individuals with underlying medical conditions such as weakened immune systems, autoimmune conditions, or other underlying medical conditions following recommendations from a licensed physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant. Please provide a specific explanation. Attach additional documentation, if necessary.
Applying for a Medical Exemption
Students who are interested in applying for a medical exemption to required immunizations should contact Brenna Callahan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students will be required to submit both the (1) Medical Provider Documentation for Medical Exemption for Immunizations Form and (2) Student Request for Medical Exemption for Immunizations Form. You can receive these forms by emailing email@example.com.
Completed forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 207-755-5838, or mailed to Bates Health Services at 31 Campus Ave, Lewiston ME.