Frequently Asked Questions

Why have the hours changed?

Data shows that Bates College students access health care services during the 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. In response to that usage pattern, students will now be better served due to increased provider coverage during these hours. In addition, Health Services will be open during breaks in which many students remain on campus, such as Fall Recess in October and Spring Recess in April.

What can I expect from my first visit?

Please bring your insurance card to your first visit. You will be asked to complete health history paperwork. CMMC hosts a patient portal called MyHealthLink. Students are urged to sign up for the portal. For more information, visit cmmc.org and click on the MyHealthLink link.

Do I have to present my insurance card?

Students will need to present their insurance card at their first visit.


Can I purchase insurance through Bates College?

Bates does offer a student health insurance plan. See more information by clicking here.

What will happen to my medical records?

Students’ medical records prior to the Fall of 2016 will remain in the custody of Bates College. CMMC will begin a new electronic record at time of your first visit. Students will need to complete health history paperwork at their first appointment.

Will I need to pay a copay?

No copay will be collected for services for academic year 2016-17. We anticipate implementing copays based on individual insurance beginning in Academic Year 2017-18.

What type of medical professional will I see when I visit Health Services?

Health Services will be staffed by resident physicians, residency faculty physicians, and nurses. Central Maine Medical Center’s resident physicians are medical school graduates who have been accepted by the hospital’s three-year Family Medicine Residency Program for advanced training in family medicine. They are supervised by residency faculty physicians who have completed their own residency training and now work as medical educators. Most residency faculty also see patients at the CMMC Family Medicine Residency at 76 High Street in Lewiston.

What diagnostics does Health Services provide?

Testing services available at Bates Health Services include:

  •    Strep Throat Testing
  •    Pregnancy Testing
  •    Mono Testing
  •    HIV Testing
  •    Glucose Monitoring for Diabetes Care

Visit the Services Provided link for more information about diagnostics and other health testing.

Where can I get my prescription(s) filled?

Bates Health Services offers onsite prescription delivery service for students, Monday through Friday. A courier service will drop off medications to Post and Print at around 11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. each day; you will receive an email when your package is ready. Medication will be sent in a sealed envelope with your name and number on the outside; your Bates ID and signature will be required for pickup.
Prescriptions can also be filled by the CMMC Pharmacy, located on the ground floor of the 12 High Street Medical Office Building. The CMMC Pharmacy is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.  to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The CMMC Pharmacy can be reached at 795-7177.




What are my options when Health Services is closed?

When Health Services is closed, students should visit CMMC Urgent Care, 593 Center Street, Auburn. Urgent Care is open every day from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. CMMC Urgent Care can be reached at 207-782-2004. If Health Services and CMMC Urgent Care are closed, students should go the CMMC Emergency Department, located on the CMMC Campus at 300 Main Street in Lewiston. The CMMC Emergency Department can be reached by phone at 207-795-2200. For more information visit the Accessing Services After Hours Link.

If I need to go to CMMC Health Services’ off hours, will I need to pay a copay? If so, how much?

CMMC requires payment of any applicable copay fees prior to providing service. The copay amount will depend on your insurance company’s fee schedule, but is usually less than the copay for an emergency department visit. CMMC  accepts cash, checks, debit cards and major credit cards.

I’m traveling internationally. Where can I receive the proper vaccinations?

Health Services can complete a consultation and physical examination prior to international travel, and will provide referrals for the necessary vaccinations through CMMC.

I need a ride to a specialist’s office for my medical appointment but I don’t have a car. How can I get there?

There are several options for transportation to and from an off campus medical appointment.  Many students ask a friend with a car to help them when possible. The college provides a Zip Car program to students and there are taxis that serve the Lewiston/Auburn area. After hours, the Bates Shuttle will transport student patients to CMMC.  Finally, cab service can be arranged by calling City Cab at 207-784-4521 or 2-in-1 Taxi at 207-784-0117

I’ve sustained an injury which is making it difficult for me to walk to my classes. I have a car but don’t know where to park on campus while I’m in class.

For special circumstances, such as injuries making walking difficult, a temporary special parking permit may be issued. To receive a temporary parking permit for medical reasons, please contact Cindy Visbaras, Associate Director for Student Health Support.

What should I do if I need to miss a class due to illness?

What do I need to know about Health Insurance and shared information?

If you are treated on campus by Bates Health Services, details regarding your illness or injury and its treatment are entered into your medical record.

If you are treated at the CMMC Emergency Department, details regarding your illness or injury and its treatment will be provided to your health insurer. This information will in turn be shared with the policy holder. If the policy holder is someone other than you, such as one or both of your parents, they will be made aware of the encounter, including the nature of your injury or illness.


What vaccinations are required to attend Bates?

All college students in Maine are required to show proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella with documentation of two doses of MMR after the first birthday or with immune titre lab results for each disease.  Additionally, students must show documentation of a tetanus/diphtheria booster within 10 years prior to enrollment. Where an exemption has been granted, the written request for exemption must be on file within the school health record.  When disease is present, students who are not immune from that disease shall be excluded from school for one incubation period following the latest case of the disease.  An exempted student who receives immunization following the identification of a disease must wait one incubation period following the date of immunization before returning to school.