Reporting to Local Law Enforcement

In addition to reporting to the college, individuals may wish to file a criminal complaint with law enforcement. You may call the Lewiston Police Department ay 207-784-6421 or go directly to the police station located at 171 Park Street, Lewiston. You may also contact any of the following for assistance with filing a criminal complaint: the Title IX Coordinator, Gwen Lexow; Bates Campus Safety; the Confidential Resource Advisor (CRA); Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Services (SAPARS). Individuals are NOT required to file a criminal complaint.

Civil Protection Orders

Maine law enables victims of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, and other forms of harassment to obtain both short-term emergency protection and, after a hearing, long-term protection from their harasser. Individuals can petition the court for either a Protection from Abuse or Protection from Harassment Order. For more information on how to petition for a civil protection order, you may speak with the CRA (207-753-6996) or with SAPARS (877-527-8644).