ATH: Head Lifegaurd (S9765X)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Head Lifeguard is responsible for coordinating and hiring lifeguards for Tarbell Pool. This individual must make up a semester schedule for the guards and arrange for guarding at special events at the pool. The Head Guard is responsible for making sure that guards show up for their shifts and if not, must have a flexible schedule to cover for a missing guard. The Head Lifeguard is also responsible for reporting accidents and equipment malfunctioning to the Associate Director of Athletics.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
The responsibilities begin on the first day of the semester or short term and conclude on the last day of the semester or short term. Some pre-planning and post-reporting may be required. The Head Lifeguard does not have the responsibility or authority to schedule activities in the pool. Requests should be forwarded to the Aquatics Director.
The Head Lifeguard Will:
- Interview and train all Bates College student lifeguards in specific Bates College responsibilities and procedures.
- Obtain proof of certification (current LGT, CPR, First Aid). File certifications and forward copies to Aquatics Director.
- Schedule lifeguards for all scheduled pool hours during time when classes are in session. Develop a working list of substitutes. (Having each lifeguard’s class schedule would be very helpful). Institute a procedure for securing substitutes. The Head Lifeguard will cover some of the times that lifeguards do not show. (Responsible Bates lifeguards will be given priority for work during college vacations as well, but you will not be responsible for scheduling them).
- Circulate the lifeguard schedule (and any changes) to appropriate parties ie. Building Coordinator, Aquatics Director, Lifeguards, etc.
- Routinely visit pool to check on lifeguards and other issues. Know and enforce pool policies/handbook. Insist that lifeguards follow policies – communicate and evaluate.
- Administer student pay slips. Verify, sign, collect and deliver.
- Maintain a safe, clean pool environment (equipment, facilities and supplies).
- Administer a procedure for lifeguards to sign in and sign out. This will include securing the key, transferring the key, unlocking and locking all access doors, log in and log out.
- Administer waterproofing test to appropriate teams i.e. Crew, sailing, and water skiing.
- Coordinate with PE Director to secure student teachers for Physical Education classes.
- Coordinate with PE Director and Aquatics Director to organize Red Cross courses, LGT, LGI, CPR, WSI, etc.
- Other duties assigned by supervisor.