BCO Editorial Assistant (S9998C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
With broad expertise in marketing, journalism, media relations, multimedia, graphic design, and website development, the Bates Communications Office (BCO) tells the college’s story across digital, social, and print platforms to its many audiences, on and off campus.
BCO Editorial Assistants do work that directly supports BCO’s creation of editorial content — that is, with a focus on writing — for publication and distribution:
– transcribing audio interviews for BCO stories
– formatting campus event information for publication
– proofreading stories for Bates Magazine and Bates News
– doing research and fact-checking for BCO stories and editorial projects
– conducting interviews with faculty and students
– writing journalistic stories for Bates News (if interested)
– general office duties, such as covering the reception desk, photocopying, and making campus deliveries
Past BCO Editorial Assistants have found this position to be a valuable way to gather journalistic writing samples for a portfolio; gain exposure to the everyday workings of the media and communications industries; and absorb helpful experience in writing and editing, as well as basic office practices.