FAQ for Employers

For general information about Student Employment and its website, please refer to the Q & A below.

How do I post an available position?

The SEO Office posts all positions. When you are ready to post a position, complete the Post a Position under the Quick Links on the SEO website.

I need to hire a student. What form do I need to submit? Where do I find it?

You will need to submit a Hiring Form, which is also found in the Quick Links section. When you make a job offer to the student, please ensure they already have a Bates Work Card. If they don’t, they¬†cannot¬†work.

Where does a student get work authorized, and what documents do they need?

Once a student has applied for and been offered a position, send the hiring form. Ask your student if they have ever had a job at Bates College. If a student has worked at Bates College in the past, they have completed their Bates Work Authorization (BWA), meaning the student has completed employment paperwork and is eligible to start working. If a student has never worked at Bates College, the student is not work authorized and must complete New Hire paperwork (I-9, W-4, etc.) before they can begin working. By checking “No on the Hiring Form,” the Employment Authorization process will be initiated, and Human Resources will contact the student. Ask your student to send you the automated email via the student’s Garnet Gateway account to confirm their BWA. Students must click on their BWA in Garnet Gateway and search for their supervisor’s name for this email to be sent. Detailed instructions on how to send this notification can be found on the Bates Student Employment Website.

What is expected of me as a supervisor?

Being a supervisor means knowing the work being done and when it is being done. Additionally, supervisors are expected to submit the required forms to start the hiring process for a student. You also need to track the student hours of work and make sure you approve and sign off on each timesheet. Students may only work 20 hours per week, regardless of the number of jobs the student has.

Why do hiring forms need to be resubmitted every year?

All positions require supervisors to put an end date on the hiring from (the last day of the pay period during the academic school year) because:

  • Work-study status changes from year to year.
  • If supervisors never put an end date on the hiring form, jobs would still be active. Students would have a list of all the jobs they have once worked, even if they are not in the job anymore.

How do I terminate a student before the end of the academic year?

There is a termination form under the Quick Links section.

Still Have Questions? Contact:

Dot Letourneau

Senior Payroll Specialist
(207) 786-6173