SA: AESOP Assistant Coordinator (S9655X)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The AESOP Assistant Coordinator assists with directing the entire AESOP program in the fall.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Manage entire AESOP program which involves making campsite reservations and organizing programs
- Recruit and Train Trip Leaders
- Select trips and create itineraries
- Produce the brochure and keep AESOP website updated
- Recruit and select first year participants and place them on trips
- Responsible for creating and conducting the training program for Trip Leaders
- Manage equipment and food
- Responsible for making a final report
- Responsible for training assistants directors for their next year as head director
Department: Campus Life
Supervisor: Carrie Murphey
Office Location: Chase Hall
Pay Grade: X
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
Student must have completed their sophomore year at Bates and be WFA and CPR certified. It is preferable for Coordinators to have been Assistant Coordinator the year prior, but not required. The AESOP Coordinator must have extensive camping experience and some skill with reading maps and planning trips. Coordinators must possess strong communication and administrative skills and feel comfortable supervising peers.
• Position reports to and is supervised by Assistant Dean of Students for First-Year Programs • Position responsible for peer supervision of AESOP Assistant Coordinators and AESOP Trip Leaders • Works closely with the following campus administrative offices o Campus Dining and Event Services o Security and Campus Safety o The Office of Campus Life o The Office of Accessible Education o The Office of Residence Life and Health Education o The Office of Intercultural Education The Office of Accounting
A preference for AESOP Assistant Coordinator to be able to lift, carry, and setup camping equipment as well as camp in Maine and NH. Ability to use or learn to use a canoe trailer. Driver’s license required and van certification preferred.