Parking Permits

Permit Requirement

All vehicles parked on campus that are owned or used by any student, faculty/staff or overnight visitor must have a valid parking permit; assigned, issued, and properly displayed. Parking permits may be obtained through the office of Campus Safety.*The College does not guarantee parking will be available. A permit is merely permission to park legally in one of the college lots.* Parking permits issued to one vehicle are not transferrable to another vehicle. Communication needs to be made if the license plate is changed on the vehicle which has a permit to avoid any confusion which could result in a ticket being issued.

Student Permits

Any student desiring a permit to park a vehicle on campus may register a request for a permit. Registration for a permit is accomplished through an internet link portal made available on Garnet Gateway. Please be careful to ensure that all the information submitted is accurate for interaction with the other computer database. Please DO NOT make repeated or multiple submissions for a permit once the request has been successfully received. The cost for student permits are billed directly to student accounts. (The cost of the permit will be shown on the Garnet Gateway registration process – prorated for 2nd Semester or Short Term)

If there is a change of the vehicle being brought to campus, or if there is a change of the registration plate attached to the vehicle, those changes need to be communicated to the Parking Coordinator at Campus Safety to properly identify the vehicle with the permit.

The permit requests will be processed with a numbered permit issued to the vehicle and entered into the database. The assigned permit will delivered to the student via the intra-campus mailbox system through Post and Print, unless the arrangement was made for hand delivery or pick up at the Campus Safety office. (Permits are not mailed to an address off campus). Permits must be affixed to the appropriate vehicles, and the envelopes will have instructions.

  • Temporary permit: Temporary permits are intended primarily to be issued to those who already have a parking permit and have a temporary need for use of another vehicle while the permitted vehicle is off site (repair, other family use, etc.). The student should go to Campus Safety to request a temporary permit. It will be verified that the student has a parking permit and a temporary permit will be issued. Temporary permits must be displayed via the rear view mirror facing out toward the windshield of the vehicle. NOTE that temporary permits are NOT issued in the event of a snow storm parking ban when there will be peak demand for the limited parking spaces available on campus. (In such instances, those vehicles without a permit are expected to utilize parking which the City makes available). Any other circumstances which might require a vehicle being on campus for a short duration, which includes overnight parking, will be reviewed, and there may be a $15.00 fee charged for the permit administration.
  • Accessibility needs permit: Accessibility permits are available for those students having a registered vehicle on campus, and due to an illness, injury or other medical reason have a mobility issue which significantly limits their walking distance. Requests must be made through Health Services who will qualify a request for the student to the Parking Coordinator to process. Accessibility permits are temporary and are valid only for the duration of the medical issue, and valid only for such designated use in parking spaces on Bates campus; these permits are not legally recognized for parking in accessibility spaces off campus. The permit is exclusive to the registered vehicle to which it is assigned.

Faculty and Staff Permits

All faculty/staff may obtain a no-cost parking permit from Campus Safety. The permit allows parking in any designated faculty/staff lot or space. Registration for a permit is accomplished through an internet link portal made available on Garnet Gateway, or available to pick up in person at Campus Safety dispatch office. New staff orientation provides guidance with the Garnet Gateway process (make sure you have available or know your vehicle information).

Visitor Permits

Any vehicle being parked on campus overnight requires a permit. It is expected that visitors obtain a permit to park their vehicle on campus overnight. Visitors may obtain a no-cost parking permit that will allow them to park in any designated visitor lot or space. (The Olin Lot, accessed off North Bardwell St, is the preferred area for overnight visitor vehicles to park). Permits can be picked up at Campus Safety. A visitor is defined as any person not employed with or enrolled at Bates College, who occasionally has business or another reason to be on campus. Students living off campus are NOT considered visitors and are required to have a student parking permit.

Permit placement

The parking permit decal must be applied to the most rear SIDE window on the driver’s side of the vehicle; preferably situated in the lower righthand corner.  That is the location where officers will look for it, and that is the location where it is least intrusive on vehicle operator vision. If you have questions about placement of a parking permit or evidence of an illegally attached permit, call Campus Safety at 786-6254. The student parking permits are designed to “void” when removed after proper affixing to the glass surface. If a permit is “voided” or shows other visible evidence of tampering, it is liable to result in a ticket for it being improperly displayed.

Visitor permits and temporary permits are to be displayed hanging on the rear view mirror facing out toward the windshield.

Vehicle exchange or replacement; lost, stolen or damaged permits

If a vehicle is sold or involved in an accident that renders it inoperable, the old permit is to be removed and returned to the office of Campus Safety; a replacement permit will then be issued in exchange for the former permit without additional cost.  If a decision is made to change of vehicle being brought to campus for any significant period of time, the same procedure applies, to remove and exchange for a fresh permit assigned to that change of vehicle.  A temporary permit may be issued for a vehicle being brought to campus for a short duration while the primary use permitted vehicle is away from campus.  The permits are designed to “void” should they be removed after affixing, and displaying an altered or “voided” permit is not acceptable.  Lost or stolen permits must be reported to security immediately.  Failure to do so may result in the owner’s vehicle being towed from campus, a fine and/or a referral to the Student Conduct Committee.

Altered permits

Altering a parking decal is a violation of the college’s parking policy.  This may result in the vehicle being towed and the owner being fined and/or referred to the Student Conduct Committee.  Altered permits will be confiscated and the vehicle’s owner could lose their parking privileges for the remainder of the academic year.