This page is under construction. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding lab safety at Bates College.
General Safety Guidelines
- NO eating or drinking in the laboratory. Consume food and drink only in designated areas.
- NO handling of contact lenses or applying cosmetics in the laboratory.
- Use the appropriate PPE at all times. Refer to site specific procedures located in your lab.
- Use lab equipment for it’s dedicated purpose.
- Confine long hair and loose clothing.
- Use a proper pipetting device – absolutely no pipetting by mouth.
- Avoid exposure to gases, vapours, aerosols and particulates by using a properly functioning laboratory fume hood.
- Wash hands upon completion of laboratory work and removal of PPE including gloves and coats. A vigorous hand washing with mild soap and warm water for 20 seconds is appropriate.
- Know the location and correct use of all available safety equipment.
- Avoid disturbing or distracting others while they are performing laboratory tasks.
- Ensure visitors to the laboratory are equipped with appropriate PPE.
- All chemicals must be correctly labeled in accordance with their Safety Data Sheet classifications.
- Consult the Safety Data Sheet before using an unfamiliar chemical.
- Determine potential hazards and appropriate safety measures before beginning new operations and confirm that existing safety equipment is sufficient for new procedure.
- Fix unsafe conditions (employees) or report unsafe conditions to the Instructor or Principal Investigator (students).
- Proper waste procedures must be followed at all times.