Academic Break Meal Plan

Beginning this fall, students who receive financial aid and have calculated family contributions of $10,000 or less are eligible for the Academic Break Meal Plan, which extends the student meal plan to include meals during academic breaks.

How is eligibility for the Academic Break Meal Plan determined?

Students who receive financial aid and have calculated family contributions of $10,000 or less are eligible for the Academic Break Meal Plan. Bates Student Financial Services calculates the family contribution each year based on an analysis of the income and assets reported on the CSS Profile, ISFAA, and other documents provided by the student’s family. The calculated family contribution appears on the student’s financial aid award letter provided by Student Financial Services.

Both domestic and international students are eligible for the Academic Break Meal Plan, though varsity athletes who are required to be on campus during academic breaks have their meals covered by the Department of Athletics.

How do I know if I’m eligible?

If you are an incoming student who has been offered financial aid from Bates, your family’s contribution appears on the financial aid award letter that was provided earlier this year by Student Financial Services.

If you are a currently enrolled student and you have submitted a complete financial aid application, you will be notified of your financial aid eligibility during the summer. Your financial aid award letter will include your family’s calculated contribution.

How does it work?

Eligible students are automatically enrolled in the Academic Break Meal Plan. Students swipe into Commons using their Bates IDs just like any other board meal.

Who can I contact if I have questions or need further assistance?

Students who find themselves in need of additional assistance during academic breaks on campus should contact a staff member in the Office of Campus Life. Questions specifically about financial aid or calculated family contributions should be directed to Student Financial Services.