Community Giving Campaign
The Bates Community Giving Campaign provides faculty and staff the opportunity to support local causes through payroll deduction. Please consider a gift to the nonprofit(s) of your your choosing from the charities below from Monday, November 6 through Wednesday, December 6, 2023.
Together, we aim to raise $50,000 from 250 donors. In 2022, we raised $34,062 from 179 donors.
United Way of Androscoggin County aims to increase the organized capacity of people in Androscoggin and Oxford Counties to care for one another by fighting for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community.
- The United Way Supports 43 programs in Androscoggin and Oxford Counties including Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mid-Maine, Boys and Girls Clubs of Maine, Healthy Androscoggin, Pine Tree Society, YMCA of Auburn-Lewiston, and many more.
- In 2022, the United Way served 30,500 individuals in Androscoggin and Oxford Counties, including:
- 13,333 callers connected with resources from the 211 call line
- 1,902 children and families accessed high quality childcare
- 1,500 children received backpacks filled with school supplies
- 6,448 families learned healthy and positive parenting skills
- 1,091 people received meals delivered to their homes
- 1,400 youths and adults received violence prevention education and support
- 1,700 bed nights of emergency assistance and basic needs provided to homeless youth in our community
MaineShare supports 40 member groups across the state who make sustainable change to advance social and environmental justice and to uplift arts and culture.
- MaineShare supports organizations like Defend Our Health, Disability Rights Maine, Hardy Girls, Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence, Veterans For Peace and more.
- MaineShare coalition members have achieved significant goals in recent years, including:
- Working with the Maine legislature to pass a first-in-the nation law to eliminate toxic PFAS from products we use every day
- Improving Maine’s Clean Water Act protections to reduce stormwater pollution in Maine’s largest urban areas
- Built a network of teaching artists and community-based arts organizations who partner with schools, to celebrate and share best practices for school-community partnerships
- Winning a full dental care benefit for customers of MaineCare
Community Health Charities of Maine brings nonprofits, businesses, and communities together around a shared commitment to health and wellbeing by addressing the barriers to good health and equity, and creating resilient communities where everyone can thrive.
- Community Health Charities funds critical resources in our community, such as:
- Improving Alzheimer’s diagnosis research
- Providing services to stroke survivors and their caregivers
- Supporting children and adults with cancer
Make a Gift in 3 Easy Steps
- Login to Garnet Gateway
Click Community Giving campaign within your To-Do list
- Select your cause(s)
Your gift of any size can be made as a one time donation or a recurring monthly gift through payroll deduction
- Feel good and be entered for a chance to win!
Donors will be entered into raffles for the chance to win Bates swag and gifts from local businesses
Looking to support charities responding to the October 25th crisis in Lewiston? Review the resources made available in the Caring for Our Community page.
- Community Giving ThanksOn behalf of the entire volunteer committee, we are thankful for the participation of 194 faculty and staff who donated to the 2023 Community Giving Campaign. We raised a total of $42,362 for local nonprofits supported by the United Way of Androscoggin and Oxford Counties, MaineShare, and Community Health Charities. We are proud of our collective contributions, and we…
- Round 1 Raffle WinnersA heartfelt thank you to the 122 colleagues who have already contributed to the 2023 Community Giving Campaign. We are thrilled to announce the first round of raffle winners! But don’t worry if your name isn’t on the list yet – there’s another chance in the second drawing later this week. Raffle Item Winner Bates Golf…
- Don’t Miss Your Chance to Make an Impact and enter the RaffleThe Bates Community has been through so much together this year. We have also been a beacon of hope to our surrounding communities during times of great need. Let’s keep that momentum going. No doubt, you are already generous to the charities you support in your private life. Won’t you consider being part of a…
- Support the Community Giving Campaign this Giving TuesdayIn the spirit of Giving Tuesday, please consider supporting our annual Community Giving Campaign, which allows you to use payroll deductions to donate to your choice of some amazing non-profit organizations that aid Mainers. So far, 101 Bates faculty and staff members have raised $20,386 in support of non-profits associated with the United Way of…
- Asking for Your Support: 2023 Community GivingIt has been a challenging month for all of us and we are grateful for your partnership and philanthropic support of our incredible Lewiston community. We are #LewistonStrong. Along with our excellent committee, we kicked off the 2023 Community Giving Campaign earlier this month. All gifts from Bates Faculty and Staff made through payroll deduction support our…
2023 Committee Members
Erin Brown P’25
Cary Gemmer ’07
Casey Anderson ’12, Advancement
Daphne Comeau, Academic Support Services
Celine Cunningham, Athletics
Matt Duvall, Dean of the Faculty
Scot Flink, Payroll
Jolene Hall, Advancement
Jessica Long, Advancement
Tyler Lussier, Advancement
Mike Milliken, Athletics/HR
Hoi Ning Ngai, Purposeful Work
Darby Ray, Harward Center
Patty Rooney, Human Resources
Johie Seltzer ’03, Admission
Cedric Steenberghs, Advancement
Karolyn Towle, Advancement
Rachel Wray P’25, Advancement