Voter Registration Information
Navigating the Voting Process
Bates College is committed to the cultivation of informed civic action. This includes, among other things, participation in local, statewide, and national elections. Toward this end, students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to become registered voters and to exercise their right to vote.
Am I Eligible to Vote in Maine?
As a college student, you have the legal right to register and vote at either your permanent address or your campus address. You may wish to consider where you feel more connected to your community or more informed about local issues, the ease or difficulty of participating in the process, and where you feel your vote will make the greatest impact.
According to the Maine Bureau of Corporations, Elections, and Commissions, if you are a student, you have the right to register in the municipality in Maine where you attend school, provided you have established a voting residence there as defined in Maine’s election laws. You can establish a voting residence at your Maine school address if you have a present intention to remain at that address for the time being, whether that residence is a dorm, apartment, house or even a hotel. If you have established residency in another municipality or state, you may vote by absentee ballot in that state.
How Do I Register to Vote?
Registering to Vote in Maine
You can register to vote or update your registration information:
- By mail
- In person at your elections office
- At the polls on Election Day
- Download the Maine Voter Registration Application (PDF)
- In Maine, registering online is currently not offered.
Registering To Vote in Another State
Here is where you can find voter registration details for your state: State Voting Requirements & Information
How Can I Verify If I have Previously Registered to Vote?
- Online through vote.org
- Through your local election authority
- Verify You’re Registered to Vote
There are a few ways to check your registration status
Where Should I Register to Vote?
If you are a student, you have the right to register in the municipality in Maine where you attend school, provided you have established a voting residence there as defined in Maine’s election laws. You can establish a voting residence at your Maine school address if you have a present intention to remain at that address for the time being, whether that residence is a dorm, apartment, house or even a hotel. If you have established residency in another municipality or state, you may vote by absentee ballot in that state.
Where in Maine can I Register?
- You can register to vote at your town office or city hall, through any Motor Vehicle branch office, in most state & federal social service agencies, or at voter registration drives.
- Completed voter registration cards may be hand delivered or mailed to your town office or city hall, or sent to the Secretary of State’s Office in Augusta.
- Here is a listing of Municipal Clerks and Registrars
Where in my Home State can I Register?
What Are My State’s Requirements for Voting?
Requirements to Vote in Maine
- To register to vote in Maine you should provide one of the following:
- Your Maine Driver’s License Number
- Your Maine ID Number
If you do not have these IDs, you may provide:
- The Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
If you are registering to vote for the first time by mail, you will need to provide a copy of a valid ID. Acceptable forms of ID include:
- ID Card
- Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Government Check, or Paycheck that Shows your current name and address
- Valid Driver’s License except one issued to an individual that is not a United States citizen
- Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address
You can alternatively show one of these documents when you vote to complete your registration.
If you registered to vote in Maine, you may be required to present valid ID if you are voting for the first time or your registration is incomplete. You can use any ID from this list:
- Document showing Proof of Address
- Current and Valid Photo ID
- Additional Details: State of Maine Voting Requirements & Information
How Do I find My State’s Election Dates & Deadlines?
Where do I Vote? Where is my Polling Place? When are they Open?
- To find your polling place, use the Polling Place Locater for your state.
What if I need to vote by Absentee Ballot?
- Any registered voter may cast an absentee ballot instead of voting in person at the voting place.
- You do not need to have a specific reason or be unable to vote at the voting place on Election Day to use an absentee ballot.
- Complete an Absentee Ballot Form.
Can I sign up for electronic reminders?
Absolutely. The following link below will point you in the right direction to sign up for electronic alerts. Keep in mind the following as stated by voter.gov:
- You will receive occasional emails from Vote.org.
- You can unsubscribe at any time.
- You will receive occasional text messages from Vote.org if you provide your cell phone number. Message and data rates may apply. Text STOP to opt out. Text HELP for more info.
- Election Reminders Form