Student Emergency Funding
At Bates College, we recognize that unforeseen circumstances impact student success and well-being. In the case of a sudden, temporary, and/or unexpected financial situations, students can apply to receive Bates College student emergency funding through our Student Emergency Fund.
To be eligible for these support funds, an individual must:
- be a full-time student receiving need based aid at Bates
- be enrolled in courses for the term in which funding is requested.
- have exhausted all other possible financial resources, including student loans
These funds are not a replacement for financial aid, and are intended to cover incidental and unexpected expenses. As such, students who apply to receive emergency funding may be asked to visit the Office of Student Financial Services to review their eligibility to receive financial aid.
Students who receive or are eligible to receive financial aid and experience a change in their financial circumstance should contact the Office of Student Financial Services. Examples of a change in financial circumstance include the loss of employment, reduction of income, etc.. Student Financial Services is located in Libbey Forum, 44 Mountain Ave. and can be contacted at 207-786-6096 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Emergency funding requests are reviewed weekly by the Senior Associate Dean of Students for Student Support and Community Standards.
Following is a list of some types of assistance students have requested in the past. Requests for emergency assistance are not limited to those on this list:
- Emergency medical expenses, prescription eyeglasses, or essential dental work not covered by insurance
- Travel expenses due to serious illness or death in the immediate family
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due to accident, fire or natural disaster
- Course materials not covered by financial aid package. Please be aware that Student financial aid packages cover up to $450 of course materials per semester. Requests, therefore, should be no more than the difference between the total semester materials bill and $450.
The Student Support Fund cannot be used to cover items noted below:
- Tuition, fees or study abroad costs
- Parking tickets, library fines, legal bills or similarly preventable expenses
- Please be aware that travel expenses are included as part of a student’s cost of attendance and financial aid package. The Student Emergency Fund is intended to help aided students who have emergency travel needs above and beyond the allowance already included in determining their financial aid award.
Factors taken into account when considering awards:
- Whether a student is on financial aid (most funds are restricted for students on aid)
- Whether a student has previously received support from these funds
- Extenuating or specific circumstances
Giving to the Student Emergency Fund
Students who benefit from the Student Emergency Fund are deeply grateful for the support of the institution at a difficult time in their lives. The number of students benefiting from the Student Emergency Fund is limited to the availability of funds. The fund is sustained by continual contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and friends of the College to ensure continued success.
If you would like to donate funds to the Student Emergency Fund, please visit https://www.bates.edu/give. Please select “Other” then specify the “Student Emergency Fund” in the Giving Form’s ‘Designation’ fields.
For more information about the Bates Student Emergency Fund and for application instructions, please contact the Administrative Coordinator for Student Affairs at email@example.com, 207-786-6220, or visit Lane Hall 103.