Karibuni/أهلاً و سهلاً/Soo dhowow/Добро пожаловать/欢迎!
The Center for Global Education at Bates College was formed in 2017 with the merger of the offices of International Student Programs and Off-Campus Study and has taken on the responsibilities related to International Student Services. The Center seeks to be the hub of global learning and cross-cultural engagement for students, faculty and staff of Bates. The following are the guiding principles that inform the work of the Center for Global Education.
The Center for Global Education provides advising, programming, and resources for international students and for all students seeking to study off-campus. The Center fosters connections between students, faculty, and staff to increase the exchange of ideas and the sharing of international life and experiences around the world. Through activities on campus, the Fall Semester Abroad program, and Off-Campus Short Term opportunities, the Center supports faculty in their efforts to make the global nature of a Bates education more explicit.
- The Center is a resource for students, faculty, and staff to consider international issues, cross-cultural exploration, and global academic endeavors.
- The Center will serve as a place where international students can seek advice, engage with all students, and help prepare for life after Bates.
- All Bates students shall have an opportunity to engage with the Center; whether seeking guidance, services, attending programs, or inquiring about life in an increasingly interconnected world.
- Intentional learning with a focus on language study, academic experiences, and lifelong reflection on one’s place in the world.
- Focus on culture with an awareness of and respect for cultural difference and a belief in the power and the challenge of cultural immersion.
- Opportunity and equity through advising and programs accessible to all students regardless of identity or resources.
Photos: Budapest, Hungary, Lei Lei ’14; Varanasi, India, Heather Monty ’14;