ADM: Tour Guide (S9986A)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
Tour Guides are an integral component of the functioning of the Office of Admission during the academic year and select breaks. If you are a student who wants to make an impact on campus and to learn more about admission, outreach, access, and recruitment at Bates, this is the ideal opportunity for you! Tour Guides are the first representatives for Bates College and the Office of Admission. Tour Guides play a crucial role in a prospective student’s decision to apply and enroll at Bates, and also play a vital role in the public reputation of Bates around the country. Tour Guides will primarily provide prospective students and their families with the unique student perspective to campus life and academic/cultural offerings supplementary to information sessions led by admission staff and/or summer fellows. We strongly encourage students of all backgrounds, life experiences, majors, graduation years, and cultures to apply.
Supervisor: Audrey Burns
Office Location: Lindholm House
Pay Grade: A
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
Education/Experience: At least one semester completed at Bates College prior to applying
Skills: This is an entry-level position with no prior experience in admission required. Applicants must be comfortable with public speaking, greeting and speaking in front of large groups of people, tactfully answering challenging inquiries from prospective students and families, and staying calm in the presence of a challenge. Applicants must be flexible, positive, a team player, and enthusiastic about being the first representative of Bates College. Applicants must also possess a strong work ethic and professionalism while representing the Office of Admission. Must be willing to learn how to walk backward.
Tour guides work closely with Tour Guide Coordinators, the Tour Guide Supervisor, admission and operations staff, senior fellow, and representatives from various campus partners.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Lead 1 hour weekly tours up to two times per week, subject to calendar and schedule availability.
- Professionally interface with prospective students during the admission process.
- Lead special events tours not limited to the arts, athletics, science, and sustainability.
- Participate in required monthly training and engagement events.
- Welcome and assist visitors at Lindholm.
- Escort prospective students and families around campus as requested.
- Work with campus partners on special requested tours and panels.
- Meet with your Head Tour Guide at least 2 times per month.
- Host overnight students as needed.
- Facilitate lunch meetings with prospective students.
- Cover the reception desk in Lindholm.
- Other duties as assigned.