CO: Editorial Assistant (S9998C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Bates Communications Office (BCO) tells the college’s story through marketing materials, news and feature articles, Bates Magazine, social media, and the news media to audiences on and off campus.
BCO Editorial Assistants directly support BCO’s creation of editorial content — that is, with a focus on writing — for publication and distribution:
– transcribing audio interviews for BCO stories
– formatting campus event information for publication
– proofreading stories for Bates Magazine and Bates News
– doing research and fact-checking for BCO stories and editorial projects
– conducting interviews with faculty and students
– writing journalistic stories for Bates News (if interested)
– general office duties.
BCO staffers represent broad expertise in marketing, journalism, media relations, multimedia, graphic design, and website development. Past BCO Editorial Assistants have found this position to be a valuable way to gather journalistic writing samples for a portfolio; gain exposure to the everyday workings of the media and communications industries; and absorb helpful experience in writing and editing, as well as basic office practices.