Getting to Portland, Boston, and Beyond
- Major airlines serve the Portland International Jetport, 45 minutes from campus and the Boston Logan International Airport, 2 hours and 45 minutes from campus.
- Amtrak service from Freeport, Brunswick, and Portland is provided to Boston.
- Bus service to/from Lewiston is provided by Greyhound Bus Lines (location listed as “Lewiston Coll, ME” on the greyhound website”) and Concord Coach Lines.
- The Office of Campus Life provides weekly bus trips to different locations within the state of Maine and to Boston, MA. All bus trips are free, except for bus trips to Boston, which cost $10.
- Please note that all forms of transportation except the Portland Jetport shuttle are offered by third party companies and are not endorsed by or affiliated with Bates College or the Office of Campus Life.
To and From Portland Jetport
Portland Jetport Shuttle ($10 each way)
Shuttles to the Portland Jetport and the Portland Transportation Center are available at the beginning of Thanksgiving break, winter breaks, and April break. Return shuttles are also available at the end of each of these breaks, but depart only from the Portland Jetport. This is a contracted service and additional dates/times cannot be accommodated on demand. In the event of a delay or cancellation of your scheduled travel itinerary due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances, please see our transportation page for alternate transportation options. If there is a change in the Jetport Shuttle schedule, you will be notified via email. Refund requests can be initiated through the Eventbrite website and requests will be reviewed and processed upon receipt. We wish you safe travels!
A & S Limo
- Portland, Maine
- Phone: (207) 749-6797
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
L/A Cab Service
- Auburn, Maine
- Phone: (207) 689-5080
Maine Limousine Service
Mermaid Transportation offers rides discounted to Bates Students from Lewiston to the Portland Jetport.
- Portland, Maine
- Phone: (207) 885-5630
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: gomermaid.com/bates.html
Uber operates cars in the Portland and Lewiston-Auburn areas. It connects you with a reliable ride in minutes – one tap and a car comes directly to you. Your driver knows exactly where to go, and payment is completely cashless.
- Website: www.uber.com/cities/portland-me/
Bates College offers all members of the community the opportunity to sign up for Zipcar, a car sharing service with locations throughout the world, and two cars on campus. Membership with Zipcar is open to anyone 18 or older, and your membership allows you to sign out the cars for $8.50 per hour, or $69 per day – gas and insurance included.
- Website: www.zipcar.com/bates
To and From Boston, Hartford, and NYC
Traveling by train? Amtrak offers a College 6Tix program. For $86, you will receive six one-way trips on the Amtrak Downeaster. That represents a 50% savings! Trains depart from Brunswick, Freeport and Portland and continue onto Boston North Station. For more information or to purchase the pass, visit http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/multi-ride-passes.
Concord Coach Lines
- Departs from downtown Auburn and goes to Portland and Boston
- Phone: 1-800-639-3317
- Email: https://concordcoachlines.com/
- Departing from Bates
- Greyhound stop is directly in front of Chase Hall.
- Returning to Bates (return trips do not stop at Chase Hall)
- Take a bus to Lewiston.
- Either walk 0.8 miles to campus or take a taxi from the Lewiston Greyhound bus station to campus (23 Campus Avenue).
- Phone: (800) 552-8737
- Website: www.greyhound.com
U-Save by Larry Stewart’s gives Bates affiliates discounted rates on 12 passenger van rentals. Please note that to reserve U-Save vans, drivers must be van certified by Bates Security & Campus Safety.
- Phone: (207) 353-4133
- Website: www.larrystewarts.com