Under rare circumstances (such as unexpected personal medical, auto, legal or home repairs), employees may receive an advance against future earnings in the form of an emergency advance. All pay advances are taxable wages. The following guidelines govern advances when they occur:
- Due to the rare nature of such advances, only one advance (regardless of the kind of advance) is granted in a fiscal year.
- Employees must be employed at Bates College a minimum of one year at time of request.
- Employees who have outstanding debts to the College are not eligible to receive a pay advance.
- The pay advance is subject to the approval of the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources. The employee may be requested to provide proof of the need for funds by presenting documentation showing the request for payment or the payment itself.
- Requests for advances may not exceed the net amount of the employee’s next paycheck.
- The employee must authorize in writing that the advance will be paid back through a payroll deduction within a two-month period of time.
- A pay advance to a member of Senior Staff is subject to approval of the President.
The Bates College Pay Advance policy can be found in the Bates College Employee Handbook (Section 613).