Handshake Tips & Tricks
View our Navigating Handshake Guide for assistance on filtering Handshake to only see Bates jobs. Here are some other Handshake Tips & Tricks:
1. If you only want to look at on-campus jobs, click on the “Jobs” tab at the top of the lefthand side of the Handshake homepage, then click “All filters” to the right of the search bar and select “On-Campus” to filter out all off-campus jobs.
2. Want to be notified every time a new on-campus job is posted? Search for “Bates College” in the search bar. Click on “Bates College,” then favorite Bates College. Any time an on-campus job is posted, you will receive an email notification to your Bates email.
3. Student jobs are often posted at the start of that each semester–that is when most students are hired. Be sure to check before/right after a new semester begins!
4. Most job applications will expire at 11:55 PM on the day of the application deadline.
5. Save the jobs you are interested in so you don’t lose them!
6. If you receive work-study, you should include that in your cover letter for an on-campus job. Employers are asked to prioritized qualified work-study students during the first two weeks of classes.