Embed a Google Slideshow/Presentation into WordPress
Below are two ways to embed a Google Slideshow/Presentation within the Bates.edu WordPress environment. The “Advanced” way is slightly more lengthy but has the advantage that the slides will automatically resize to the optimum size based on the size of the screen.
- Open your slide presentation, pull down the File menu and select Publish to the web.
- Select the Embed tab.
- There are a number of options available:
- Slide size only matters if you choose the basic method below. Note that if you choose “Medium”, it will overlap the sidebar on laptops, and flow off the page on mobile. If you choose “Small” it will be fairly small, but remember that the user can always view full screen if desired.
- Whether to auto-advance slides (and at what time period)
- Whether to start the slideshow immediately on page load.
- Whether to loop the slides when the end is reached.
- Privacy: If you would like to hide the content unless the viewer is signed in with their Bates credentials, open the toggle next to Published content & settings and check the box next to Require viewers to sign in…
- Click the Publish button.
- Select the html code in the box that now appears (it starts with
<iframe src). From here, continue with either the basic or more advanced methods below.
- In WordPress, insert the html block into your page.
- Paste the code you copied into the block.
- Paste the code into a text editor. You need to select the url that appears within the quotes after
src="and up to the next
"I’ve highlighted the correct bit in this example:
- Now, in the block editor insert an iframe block and paste the url into the field. Note that the “iframe” block is specific to Bates.edu and not available in other WordPress instances.