Selecting your First Chemistry Course


Students who do not have AP, IB, or A-level credit for chemistry should take Chem 107 in the first semester and Chem 108 in the second semester.

Students who have fulfilled the AP, IB, or A-level requirements may place out of Chem 107 and/or Chem 108, whether they choose to use their credit or not. The requirements for AP, IB, and A-levels are found at Due to the content covered in high school courses, we typically recommend that students with credit take Chem 107 and use their credit for Chem 108. However, students who feel they have a very strong background in chemistry may take Inorganic Chemistry (Chem 215) in the fall and/or Separation Science (Chem 212) in the winter of their first year. First-year students may not take Organic Chemistry (Chem 217/218).

Pre-health students: Most post-graduate health sciences programs (medical school, dental school, veterinary school, etc.) require two semesters of college chemistry with a lab in addition to a year of organic chemistry. Since AP, IB, and A-level credit may not be used to meet this requirement, students with incoming credit should consider this carefully when deciding whether to take Chem 107/108.  Inorganic Chemistry does not have a lab, but Separation Science does have a lab.

Students with questions about which course to take should contact the Chair or one of the instructors of Chem 107 for guidance in determining which course to take.

Options for students with incoming credit:

Fall Semester Winter Semester
Option 1: Do not use credit*Chem 107 Chem 108
Option 2: Use credit for one semester*Chem 107 Chem 212
Option 3:  Use credit for one semesterChem 107 No chemistry course
Option 4: Use credit for two semestersChem 215 Chem 212 or no chemistry course

*Only options 1 and 2 fulfill pre-health requirements. Another chemistry course with a lab must be taken at a later date.