The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry offers a robust selection of courses with flexibility to customize your Bates experience to best prepare you for your future. With options for a Chemistry Major, a Biochemistry Major, double majoring, and studying abroad, new students will have no shortage of opportunity to make the most of their time with our department.
You can learn more about what your course schedule might look like for each of these pathways on our Course Sequences page.
You can also find a listing of all Chemistry and Biochemistry classes on the course catalog.
Regardless of the major or sequence of courses you choose, each student has the opportunity to participate in active research alongside department faculty.
Recent graduates have gone on to Ph.D. programs at:
- Yale University
- Cornell University
- University of California, Santa Clara
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- University of Texas, Austin
- University of Vermont
- Harvard University
Recent students have earned degrees in the health sciences at:
- Tufts University
- Philadelphia College of Medicine
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy
- University of New England
- NYU College of Dentistry
- Massachusetts General Hospital School of Nursing
Recent students have obtained laboratory or clinical research or consulting positions at:
- North Shore LIJ Health System
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Elevance Pharmaceuticals
- McKinsey and Company
- Harvard Medical School
- Albany Molecular Research
- Renewable Energy Group
- Rapid Micro Biosystems