Understanding Your Tuition Bill

Tips for accessing and understanding your tuition bill.

How do I access my bill?

You can view your bill by following these instructions:

  1. Visit the Garnet Gateway and login using your User ID and PIN
  2. Under the Tuition menu, select Bills
  3. Click on the bill (displayed by month) that you want to see (the most recent bill will appear first in the list)

What if I forget my password?

To reset your password, please contact the Bates College Help Desk at 207-786-8222 or helpdesk@bates.edu

How does billing work?

Students can authorize parents and other individuals to have view access to their Garnet Gateway financial aid and/or student account records. Bates sends an email to students and authorized users when the monthly account statement is ready. The statement may be viewed as a PDF on the Garnet Gateway, and may also be printed.

I want my parent to receive my bill – can you add my parent?

You, the student, are the only person who can establish permission for parents or others to view your information, and you have the ability to modify your selections at any time.

How can I change my email address for billing notifications?

If you are a student, billing notification will always be sent to your Bates email address. Parents should forward email address changes to records@bates.edu

Can you send me a paper copy of the bill?

We are not able to send paper copies of the bill. You may print a PDF copy of the bill for your records.

How will I know when my bill is ready?

Each month when bills are ready, you and the people you’ve authorized will receive an email notification that the bill is ready to be viewed online.

Are bills secure?

Yes, bills can only be viewed from within the Garnet Gateway, which is a secure environment.

When I make a payment, will I see it on my bill immediately?

The bill is a snapshot of the charges, payments, and anticipated credits to the student account as of a specific date. This information is updated each billing cycle, whenever there is activity on the account. Payments that are made after the receipt of an bill will appear on the next month’s bill, if a balance still exists on the student’s account. You can see the status of your account in real time by selecting Account Details under the Tuition menu on the Garnet Gateway.

Does Bates accept credit card or online payments?

Bates College does not accept credit cards; however, you may make online payments using a checking or savings account at www.afford.com/bates. Online payments are processed by Tuition Management Systems (TMS) and can take up to ten business days to appear on your account.

My parents and/or I have applied for a loan, but it doesn’t appear on my bill or account – why is this?

Loans do not typically appear on the first semester bill, as Student Financial Services is still in the process of certifying eligibility. If you have applied for a student or parent loan that is not reflected on your statement, you may deduct one-half of the amount for which you’ve applied when you make your payment. Federal loans that have been certified will be disbursed to the student’s account during the first week of classes.

My bill shows authorized and memoed amounts – what does that mean?

Authorized financial aid is aid that has been approved and processed, but must wait for an official disbursement date to arrive before it can be applied to the student’s account. Memoed items may include financial aid that is still in the process of being authorized, such as a Direct Student or Parent Loan, or anticipated monthly payments through Tuition Management Systems (TMS). Both authorized and memoed amounts have already been deducted from the balance due on your bill.

Who do I contact if I have questions about individual items on my bill?

If you have questions about the single fee or financial aid that appears on your bill, you can contact Student Financial Services at 207-786-6096. If you have questions about charges for items like the ones that appear on the list shown below, you must contact the office responsible for posting those charges.

Charge Department  Phone Number
Dorm damage, personal damage, furniture storage or removal Physical Plan 207-786-6205
Health Services Health Services 207-786-6199
Overdue fines, book replacement Ladd Library 207-786-6263
Parking permits/fines, ID replacement, lockout charges Bates Security 207-786-6254
Athletic gear and equipment Bates Athletic Dept. 207-786-6368

My account has a credit balance – how do I request a refund?

If you have a credit balance on your account, you may request a refund through the Garnet Gateway by selecting Refund Request under the Tuition menu. If you do not request a refund, any credit balance will remain on the account to be applied to future charges.

Who should I contact if I have other questions?

Please email Student Financial Services at sfs@bates.edu or by phone at 207-786-6096.