Emergency Assistance Abroad

 CHUBB Travel Assistance program provides emergency assistance for Bates students, faculty and staff (and accompanying dependents) traveling abroad on Bates College business.

  • The CHUBB emergency center is open 24/7. If calling from the United States, the number is: 1-800-243-6124. If abroad, the number is: +1-202-659-7803 (call collect). The Bates plan number is: 01-SP-585. Please note that this emergency medical assistance does not eliminate the need for regular health insurance. Download the Information Card

You should enter the appropriate telephone number into your cell phone so it will be available if needed.

  • When to Contact CHUBB Travel Assistance

    • You need medical advice on the country where you will be studying.
    • You need help finding a doctor, dentist, hospital, attorney, interpreter, a US embassy or consulate.
    • You need help obtaining prescription medications, including eye care.
    • You need help replacing essential travel documents, including tickets and passport.
    • You need an emergency cash advance, up to $1,000 USD.
    • You need money to pay a doctor or hospital. (This is a temporary loan.)
    • You need an emergency medical consultation and/or medical monitoring of your condition and medical treatment.
    • You need to determine whether you need a more specialized hospital for treatment. CHUBB Assistance will dispatch a physician or specialist at its expense to evaluate your situation and determine whether an evacuation is needed.
    • You need a medical evacuation to a more specialized hospital. If CHUBB Assistance agrees, it will dispatch a physician or specialist to accompany you, arrange travel to the nearest suitable facility, and pay for these services.
    • You need to return home for medical care on an emergency basis. If CHUBB Assistance agrees, it will arrange your travel with medical supervision, if necessary, at its expense.
    • If you are hospitalized for more than seven days and you want a family member to visit. CHUBB Assistance will arrange and pay for the transportation costs of this individual.
    • CHUBB Assistance will arrange and pay for the return of your remains if you die while abroad.
    • In case of a political or natural disaster, CHUBB Assistance will arrange your evacuation to the nearest place of safety.