Employment and Taxes in the US

Information about Employment in the United States

Social Security and Taxes

Social Security Number — Crucial for general identification

This is a United States Government number issued to anyone for purposes of record-keeping for pay checks, bank records, and general identification. All students must have one. The International Student Advisor will assist new international students in obtaining the numbers at the beginning of each academic year.

Taxes — Who gets taxed?

International Students have taxes removed from paychecks as a norm. A few countries have treaties with the United States agreeing to not have taxes removed. The Student Employment Office has a computer list of the countries with treaties. All students who work must submit a tax filing form to the United States Government between January 1 and April 15 for work performed in the previous calendar year, January 1 to December 31. Typically, there is a return of taxes that have been removed. This is dependent on how much was earned by the student during the calendar year.

Several group meetings to discuss filing taxes and to assist with the forms are held each Winter Semester. Attending one of these will suffice in completing the forms. For preparing the tax forms, students should bring the 1042-S form received from the Personnel Office, and any W-2 forms received from anywhere you have worked. Additionally, the Bates financial aid support letter will be needed, if applicable.